December 2017 Weekend Rundown

Late lunch at Olsons Scandinavian Deli on Pico, midway between Fairfax and Hauser. Sold out for the day of my top two choices (gravlax; Swedish meatball). Ended up ordering the shrimp skagen. Delicious toasted and buttered brioche bun generously stuffed with creamy, dill inflected shrimp with salty notes from the golden caviar. A large leaf of lettuce separated the filling from the bun, warding off sogginess and adding a little crunch. Served with a small side of pickled cucumbers. I split a side order of beet salad with my dining companion. Tangy and a little sweet (I think there were diced apples
in the salad), with a creamy dressing. The special spiced Jul latte was delicious, and paired well with the Napoleon hat cookie I purchased at the deli counter (the cafe and deli are two separate counters). Bustling but pleasant lunch spot.

6 Likes

Christmas morning is coconut water, V8 juice, more coconut water, and much cursing at all the bagel stores that aren’t open.

1 Like

Merry Christmas! Western Bagels is open (Santa Monica & Federal).

1 Like

Fcuk yes.

I really miss me some good skagen.

Love this place.

Sea Harbor, this afternoon. Only a 25 min wait for a party of 2. Everything was very good.

Fish roe & scallop dumplings:

Baked BBQ pork buns:

Siu mai with truffle:

Har gow:

Salt & pepper fried smelt:

Poached spinach with minced beef:

Baked mixed mushroom custard tarts:

Lobster stir fried with oats:

After all that, I got an iced coffee at Saigon Bakery and couldn’t resist getting an egg banh mi as well. So I guess it was sort of a bang-bang. :pig:

15 Likes

Master Ha

Thanks to @cdub for the rec!

The standard banchan at any soup place, daikon and cabbage kimchi. Solid, not too funky if that is what you like.

Ox Bone Soup, just water and bones said the Owner. Other places will add chicken bones, msg, or a little bean paste but this is as pure as you can get. Added salt, pepper, green onion, and kimchi juice to taste. And a bit of purple rice. This hit the spot for a winter day.
Generous pieces of tender brisket as well.

The Marinated Crab Rice Bowl!! Comes with…

Some pickles and sauce which is added into the bowl and mixed. Grab a sheet of seaweed

Wrap up and enjoy! This was a tasty bite. The marinated crab brought on some really good umami flavors with a slight natural sweetness from the crab. I can see some people maybe put off by the texture but I enjoyed the flavor.

It also came with some marinated shrimps

Speaking to the owner they also have a Uni Rice Bowl, with this the rice is marinated and from what he shown me some generous amounts of uni. Will have to come back and try that.

6 Likes

Leo’s

Before the spit didn’t come out until weekend nights, and here on a weekday it is up and firing. I think by now they are considered an LA classic for cheap eats, al pastor tacos at $1.25.
Still very tasty! This was the Hollywood truck at Sunset x Western, IMO the best for parking compared to Mid City and Echo Park. A very convenient location for post shenanigans in KTown, Hollywood, Thai Town, and Hipster Eastside.

5 Likes

With my brother, eating and drinking our Christmas gifts while watching Wisconsin at Miami.

It is a cold, foggy night, and we have a fire. Happy holidays, Los Angeles. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Langers

Go with a friend, half of yours and half of theirs

Plain with mustard

Don’t forget Langers can also make an egg cream, cream soda, and they carry Dr Browns

Space Shuttle in LA!!

11 Likes

Nice day!

1 Like

@Bookwich Is that a pack of Mattei biscotti I spy in the foreground?

I like your style @Bookwich! Tonight we are doing a fondue to use lots of our Christmas stuff. Champagne is chilling :blush:

2 Likes

You have a good eye, @Sgee. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As usual, totally haven’t been following the thread (aside from seeing the pretty sunsets!). Sorry for the big pic size; I’m uploading from my phone and am too lazy to resize.

Tried Lonzo’s Bread. Delicious.

IMG_1533IMG_1531IMG_1532IMG_1535

IMG_1536

NYE at Belle Vie. Yum. Although I don’t think the food was better than their regular menu. Lots of French-speaking folks there (but not us).

6 Likes

Nice meal at Belle Vie! What are the potatoes?

Gratin dauphinois. I had no idea what that translated to at the time, so I was surprised when there wasn’t any cheese (and apparently there isn’t supposed to be any cheese in that type of prep).

The menu was (IIRC)

• Lox, horseradish cream (exceedingly mildly), sweet and sour beets
  • Foie gras (terrine style), toasted brioche, poached pear
  • Braised short rib, gratin dauphinois
  • Mesclun, picked veggies, and brie w/ the tiniest amount of truffles (delicious!!!)
  • Assorted petit fours
  • A small bowl of jelly beans and sour gummy bears
  • A small sip of champagne

Not bad for $75, IMHO. I thought everything was at least very good, although the connective tissue in the short rib hasn’t quite fully broken down (and we had just had an exemplary version at Wilshire Restaurant a few days earlier, which didn’t help; that was amazing).

Partner and I had the causa trio at Lonzo’s (my fav was the chicken, although all 3 were very good) and then I had the arroz con marsicos on my own. Partner had the lamb. Our dinner guests had the other dishes pictured; I didn’t taste them. What I did taste was fantastic (my rice came w/ a much appreciated small side of picked onions to cut the richness), and if the rest of the menu is that good consistently, then this place is a neighborhood gem. Tiny, tiny on the inside, but no wait at 6PM on Sat. Full by the time we left.

1 Like

Not technically a weekend, but New Year’s Day brunch at Lao Tao. The beef broth that we received after this (not pictured) was amazing.

1 Like

We tried Lonzo’s a couple years back and thought it was pretty subpar. Both tries were during lunch. With FTCers having positive experiwnces, we tried Lonzo’s again - this time for dinner.

Everyone in our family gave it big shrug. The food at dinner is more of a baseline in our opinion but definitely edible compared to our previous tries. And the portions are pretty small as well. Maybe it’s just a matter of taste, but we will continue going to the SFV or the South Bay for Peruvian.

Spent NYE at Little Fatty. It was perfect for what I was looking for, fun and delicious great cocktails. We had the General Tso’s Cauliflower (crunchy and addictive) Squid ink XLB (good broth and flavorful filling) and Pork Shank Chinese BBQ (really a WoW dish-crunchy, savory soft meat). My brother had a nice drink based on a Japanese gin and I had a Green point and rose cremant that went perfect with the pork.

1 Like

Yikes! Do you mean felt the food was so bad previously that it was inedible? :frowning:

I’m certainly no Peruvian food expert, so if you had multiple bad experiences, I wouldn’t discount that. I tried one place many yrs ago recommended by @CiaoBob in the SFV and thought it was better than Lonzo’s. But, based on my one try of both, the much closer distance of Lonzo’s wins out for now. Will def report back about subsequent visits.

BTW, where do you go in the South Bay for Peruvian?