December 2017 Weekend Rundown

Yeah, the lunches were pretty bad in our opinions. The recent dinner was far more to our liking, but it didn’t sing to us at all, and the serving sizes are pretty small compared to other places. We ordered seven dishes - that’s pretty standard for us eating Peruvian - and we finished everything with my son still hungry. This never happens at other Peruvian joints.

We usually go to Kotosh when in the South Bay - Peruvian from a Japanese perspective - and El Rocoto - Peruvian from a Chinese perspective. These places are totally legit as Peru has a large Asian population as this is reflected in the fusiony cuisine.

The SFV has a ton of Peruvian but we stick to a few. Puro Savor got a lot of play on Chowhound and rightfully so. Peru’s Taste is good but the salsas heat tends to overpower the flavor for us. El Hatuchay has some nice homey dishes but some are pretty mediocre. There are others we’ve tried once but I either don’t recall or don’t feel they are of our tastes. Pollo a la Brasa is a whole other category.

Edit: And please don’t consider this to be an end group of recs. We tend to patronize places that fit well with us. And the SFV has a ton of places we’ve never tried.

3 Likes

My place is/was Peru’s Taste in Northridge
https://www.yelp.com/biz/perus-taste-northridge

1 Like

Large order of jalea mixta and a chica morada :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Looks like some good eating @Chowseeker1999.

We were staying in Sherman Oaks for a bit. Sorry to have missed PSY. Always looking for free-range and organic restaurants, but seems we didn’t miss much at Wild & Free.

Happy Weekend Eating!

1 Like

Ditto! Always a disappointment when it’s drizzled or spooned on top.

Hi @paranoidgarliclover - What was the grey looking food w/dark splatters?

My mom used to make them. She called them Scalloped Potatoes and the cheesy ones Potatoes au Gratin - undoubtly from Betty Crocker or Joy of Cooking. :grinning:

2 Likes

Was my friend’s dish, but I think we had a tiny portion in our trio. I think it’s the Polpo al Olivo (Cooked sliced octopus, black olives-green sauce, from the menu).

Nice to see you back, @TheCookie.

1 Like

Thanks! Good to be back.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcnkx-WBCAp/

Breakfast at Steakhouse 55, Eggs Benedict with Serrano ham and Blood orange hollandaise

2 Likes

How was the Blood Orange Hollandaise?

Met one of the guys and his lady at a tattoo parlor. They had already shutdown the pop-up for the year. Checked them out on Instagram - the crispy edges on those smashed burgers look perfect. Really nice guy too. But I’m not sure I trust a person who thinks Dave’s Hot Chicken is better than Howlin’ Ray’s :grin:. @Chowseeker1999 might have slapped him.

4 Likes

Daves and BNSD appear to be social media friends. Maybe in irl as well. Still think Howlin Rays is the king, but I do want to stop by Dave’s since they are close to my usual neighborhoods I like to eat in

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for asking @TheCookie. We spent the last couple of months doing staycations, and in December spent 2 nights at the Disneyland Hotel.

This version of EB was lovely , with cornmeal biscuits in place of English muffins.

1 Like