December 2018 Weekend Rundown

MB Post sounds and looks incredible. We’ve got to make a SoCal run next year. Thanks a million for sharing. The rest looks great also.

1 Like

Deleted my post b/c @frommtron had mentioned it above (the opening, not the location).

Location is on Westwood Blvd… According to my phone (I took a pic), it’s 1116 Westwood Blvd.

Dunno 'bout that - I mean, Q is already only one letter long as it is, so…

1 Like

I was under the impression that Q isn’t used in the West? I could be mistaken though!

Food nerds know the term, but maybe not everyone truly gets what the quality should really be.
Like al dente. You learn the term. Then you think you know what it means. Then after lots of experience you really “get it.”
That’s my experience anyways.

2 Likes

I had no idea on Q standing alone so thanks.

Yes.

In addition to the general al dente feel in the mouth, there is the “springiness” factor which many associate with Q. Also, “sponginess” (how much of the surrounding sauce/soup the pasta absorbs), and how the taste progresses/changes as you bite on in each mouthful must be considered.

I’m sure someone somewhere has already completed a doctoral thesis on Q, replete with charts and diagrams, depicting concepts like the Gluten Coefficient, and Point of Maximal Oral Resistance, as well as geographical variations from country to country, with further variable arms of study based on things like knife-cut versus bamboo, temperature of water, black box scenarios, adiabatic expansion, cooking pot brands and types, etc, etc…

6 Likes

Best food this weekend was this blast back to childhood. Brought some for pops too

3 Likes

Yaaassssss!!

Where are the lamajoun from?

Same question I was about to ask…!

you re right - I had to get that tender nori - it was great. that whole onigiri was awesome.

I have to try this. Thanks for the shoutout.

1 Like

There are man places, just find nearest but these are from Sasoun, a personal favorite.

2 Likes

Yeah I usually go to sasoun or taron in east Hollywood. Just wanted to know if there was a super secret spot with extra delicious lamajoun.

No. Those are good. We don’t want secrets. Need our people to succeed.

Which one did you get?

I think I’ll be going to Smorgasburg soon since Ugly Drum is doing rib tips, brisket and hot links.

Ume and Spicy Tuna.
Both were terrific.
This was our first visit to Smorgasburg and we started with Pikuniku which was fairly disappointing.

1 Like

Had one of my favorite quick breakfasts in the city at Gjelina Take Away. Every morning they do a series of rotating toasts, but one is basically always there–a seeded toast with labneh, pickled cucumbers, beautiful smoked salmon, eggs cooked right inbetween hard and soft boiled, and capers. To me it is the best take possible on a bagel with lox, without the heaviness and with a freshness rarely achieved.

Whereas Gjusta’s golden hour is at night, the time to hit GTA is in the morning.

4 Likes

My visit wasn’t as bad as yours. But I tried to warn it wasn’t better than fine.