December 2018 Weekend Rundown

Sorry, I uploaded the pictures from my phone and used my desktop to put in the captions since it’s much easier that way.

2 Likes

Nice @A5KOBE! :slight_smile: Glad you’re enjoying Gwang Yang. And what a meal! Was that all in 1 sitting? :open_mouth: :wink:

I don’t expect most of you to give a shit about this dish but it’s one of the great comfort foods for me, Beef and Tomato Rice. I also got a feeling that a lot of Mainlanders don’t care for it too.

This version was okay. I should have asked for eggs to add on and less cornstarch slurry. It needs to be more tomatoey. I think I can pull off a good version at home that would make any ABC happy.

Marinated meat in soy, cornstarch, pepper, and a little shaoxing.

Tomatoes…canned San Marzanos, tomato paste, pinch of sugar or a tiny bit of ketchup, maybe cherry tomatoes when out of season

Aromatics…ginger, garlic, onions, green onions to garnish

Add some eggs directly to thicken it up.

8 Likes

The Donuttery (Huntington Beach)

While picking up some treats for the chowpup’s PT team, I picked up some treats for us. Forgot and tore into the grasshopper doughnut (which I really enjoyed) before taking the photo. Not as good as Sidecar, but this is a different beast.

5 Likes

Don’t speak too quickly. I adore this cozy comfort dish as well.

1 Like

Lunch at Sushi Tsujita - this was my first real “sushi” meal since getting back to Japan, and it definitely hit the spot. Well, I did go to Hikari in Culver City, and that was pretty mediocre.

Basic chirashi - once of the biggest bargains in town

…supplemented by some nigiri (nodoguro, iwashi, Can’t remember the third :slight_smile: ) for good measure

Sayori (cool presentation)

Blue crab roll and kohada

Pho Saigon 1 in Chatsworth- a really nice bun bo hue and banh seo

Oriel - our go to’s are the bibb salad, French onion soup, and the bavette

Pizzeria Mozza never disappoints

Kura In Weho - My go-to sushi in LA if I’m trying to keep the omakase to double digits

8 Likes

Nice noodle shot.

Fleming’s dry aged ribeye

8 Likes

Oden at Iccho in Torrance

11 Likes

By Oden’s Beard!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Ma Dang Gooksu

One of these things doesn’t belong

4 Likes

I think that’s almost brilliant. Spaghetti and meat sauce for that one limiting friend almost everyone has.

3 Likes

I would order #23 out of curiosity. It may be great!

Please consider that it MIGHT be a poor translation for jjajangmyeon… And that the JJM there may actually be super authentic and tasty.

1 Like

@J_L

4 Likes

I would eat it

Glad you actually ordered “The Jordan Special”. I stand corrected.

But, like @JeetKuneBao, I’d also hit that.

That looks HUGE!!!

oh no… i did not lol. that looks brutal