Delicious Decadence - Beast Mode at Animal

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Oooh nice! Great dinner. :slight_smile:

And thanks for the tip on the Tandoori Octopus! I’ve heard about this… but we never got a chance to try it. It’s back on the menu? Sweet! :slight_smile:

We love their Quail as well.

1 Like

seeing the picture of the Tamago Rice with Bone marrow literally made me say "F You " here at work. LOL! It’s because i am so jealous! awesome breakfast! i definitely have to head out there for brunch. (Ooops , didnt realize this was an old post, it’s the first time i’ve seen this post)

2 Likes

Hi @Hungrydrunk,

No, no, your post and reaction are still valid. :slight_smile: It’s still worth trying if you get a chance, delicious! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally going to check out Animal’s Brunch tomorrow. I needed a refresher course and immediately thought of this thread. Awesome!!

4 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice! Hope you have a good brunch. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update:

Due to Salads finally winning Dish Of The Month, we thought it was time for a visit to Animal. While initially sounding like an oxymoron (with Animal being famous for its tribute to all things meaty and of an animal), one of the best Salads we had last year was at Animal(!), with the phenomenal Winter Citrus Salad with Yuzu Kosho. So we couldn’t wait to go back and see what was in season and new on the menu…

The space is still as simplistic and minimalistic as its opening days, but it’s quite a bit brighter and cheery for Brunch. :wink:

Heirloom Tomato Salad (Sweet Corn, Shiitake, Onikasu, Maggi Ranch):

It is definitely local Tomato season, and this Salad was really interesting: Bright, lightly sweet and tart baby Heirloom Tomatoes are mixed with some beautifully sweet Corn Kernels, atop a bed of a Housemade Maggi Ranch Dressing, that’s lighter than typical “Ranch,” but it’s got an interesting savory flavor to it (I’m guessing the Maggi Sauce). But it’s their Housemade Onikasu (a Japanese Spice mixture) that changes this Salad into something more. There’s a slight heat to Animal’s Onikasu, but it isn’t as crazy-hot as Tsujita Annex’s version (which really kicks up the heat).

Gem Lettuce Salad (Beet, Feta, Pita, Sumac, Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette):

This is their seasonal replacement for the Winter Citrus Salad we had previously. While we were sad that their Winter Salad was gone (understandable given the seasons), this Gem Lettuce Salad was a worthy replacement. :slight_smile:

The Gem Lettuces were so crisp, cool and fresh! The Beets added tiny bits of sweetness, but their inclusion of Watermelon Radish, Sumac, and a nice light funkiness from the Feta Cheese made it even better. But the biggest surprise were the absolutely delicious crunchy nuggets of goodness known as their Toasted Pita bits, serving as “Croutons” for this salad. They were extremely fragrant (fresh toasted), with that beautiful aroma that fresh toast has. :slight_smile:

The Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette brought everything together (not too tart acidic like standard Lemon). A fantastic Salad! :blush:

Softshell Crab Dynamite (Chili Soy, Shishito, Tobiko, Nori):

Crispy, crunchy, fresh Soft Shell Crab, perfectly fried to a beautiful golden brown. :slight_smile: Biting into the center portion yielded some of the ultra-delicious bright brininess of the “Crab Sauce” (cooked down Crab guts / brains). Their Chili Soy with Tobiko (Flying Fish Roe) added a nice little bit of saltiness, brininess and heat to each bite. Excellent. :slight_smile:

Pork Katsu (Yuzu Aioli, Mustard Greens):

Chef Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo’s menu seems to have taken on a more Japanese bent these days (@TheCookie have you noticed any of these influences at their other restaurants?), with a new Pork Katsu (Cutlet) dish being added to the menu. We love a great Tonkatsu, so we were eager to see what Animal’s version might be like.

It’s a flattened Pork Cutlet (probably easier to cook), so it’s not as thick as many Tonkatsu locally. The breading is OK, there’s a slight crunch, and the Pork itself is tender and somewhat moist. But being so thin, it felt a touch overcooked.

What it lacked, though, is the familiar Tonkatsu Sauce (sort of like a Japanese Worcestershire Blended Thicker Sauce) or some Japanese Mustard to cut through the fried bites. The Yuzu Aioli was fine by itself, but I’m not used to adding creamy sauces to Tonkatsu, but then I thought maybe @ipsedixit might like this! :wink: (But alas, it’s not Tartar Sauce!) :slight_smile:

Carolina Gold Rice Congee (Chicken, Tomato, Sate, Egg):

We were somewhat skeptical of Animal being able to make a great Congee, but we also know Chef Shook & Dotolo (and their staff) have pulled off many fantastic dishes over the years, including their excellent version of a Hawaiian Loco Moco, so Congee? Why not? :smile:

Make sure to break the Poached Egg and mix all the ingredients thoroughly…

And then taking a sip… it is incredibly tasty! :heart:

It starts with the base: Their Carolina Gold Rice Congee tastes like it was made with care. It isn’t overly thick, or too thin, there’s a delicious Chicken Broth base, and the Heirloom Tomatoes and the Poached Egg add a unique taste that isn’t in the standard Congee. The Sate Sauce adds more depth of flavor and helps to make it spicier than the usual Chinese Congee you might find at Sam Woo or an HK Cafe.

It’s not traditional at all, but they’ve managed to make something delicious that hearkens to your notion of “Congee”… and it’s a nice option for those that want to stay in the area and not drive out to the SGV for their Congee fix.

Looking back on this visit (and other items on the menu), it seems Animal is definitely changing. It still has the popular bastions of “Meat!” on their menu (Foie Gras Maple Biscuit, Foie Gras Loco Moco, Pork Belly, Oxtail Poutine, etc.), but we had a great meal on this visit and it was generally quite light and refreshing.

Animal
435 N. Fairfax Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel: (323) 782-9225

9 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

I’ve definitely noticed it at Animal and other L.A. restaurants. Japanese and Asian, in general, is in.:slight_smile: Should FTCers take a little credit for helping to drive this trend?

Doesn’t sound like an oxymoron to me. In fact, it is something I’ve been thinking about since going to Broken Spanish recently. I thought the food was delicious, but unlike Animal, it was a little too, too, to be anything other than special occasion dining. However, at Animal I easily find unique dishes with - don’t laugh - a subtlety (or finesse?) that makes it a regular destination.

Hah… You just read part of my soon to come Broken Spanish report. But I’m not doing any in depth restaurant reporting until I finish the report on our 2nd Aburiya Raku visit! I don’t count the super fun, but easy Burger reports. :wink:

Happy Delicious Salad Eating at Unexpected Locales!

1 Like

Thanks @TheCookie. :slight_smile: Yes, it’s all because of FTC! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking forward to your Broken Spanish report, and definitely try the Carolina Gold Rice Congee and new Salads next time you’re at Animal, I think you’ll like it. :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

peaches, aguachile

Interesting idea that mostly works - a few not-quite-ripe pieces of peach aside, the fruit meshed predictably well with the spice. There was also an interesting savoriness lurking in the background.

hamachi tostada

A classic for a reason. It does feel like considerably more food when dining solo than when sharing (though this was a good thing, as I turned out to be a bit hungrier than I expected when I came in). Fish sauce on fish is a bit funny conceptually but the yellowtail is pretty mild so it’s mostly about the texture there. My only complaint here is that it’s a bit awkward to shovel in all the separate elements in at the same time. (On a separate note, the way the tostada breaks - only where you “cut” it, and nowhere else - is very impressive.)

sweetbreads, creamed spinach, hen of the woods, caper, brown butter

Definitely one of the more unique sweetbread preps I’ve had, though that’s mostly owing to the accompaniments. The sweetbreads themselves were lush and rich, and nicely crispy on the outside. Hard to do better. The vegetables veered between creamy, savory, and funky (more funky than the sweetbreads!). Good, but honestly a little overwhelming on the palate for one person. Quite unlike any other combination of flavors I’ve ever experienced before, so I’d definitely recommend getting it to share.

Funk was the name of the game today - I took advantage of dining solo to explore some options that some of my regular dining companions might have avoided (a fruit dish at a meat-centric restaurant, and sweetbreads in general). I’d considered getting some Foie Gras for posterity’s sake, but I’ll probably just grab somebody in a couple weeks and make a run around town.

6 Likes

Nice report @T3t. :slight_smile: Yah thew sweetbread dish is pretty delicious (and we always split it amongst a group of us).

I don’t know if I could tackle their Foie Gras Loco Moco alone. :wink:

Update 2:

We had some friends who had never been to Animal before, so it felt like a great time to introduce them to Chef Shook & Dotolo’s flagship. :wink:

Broccolini (Ramen Vinaigrette, Soft Egg, Onikasu):

This was an interesting-sounding new menu item we hadn’t tried before. The Broccolini was tender, nicely cooked, however the addition of the “Ramen Vinaigrette” didn’t really evoke any taste of real Ramen here. The Soft Boiled Egg and Onikasu (a crimson spice mixture) did help give off a bit of the impression of “Ramen” though. Overall it was fine.

Veal Brains (Vadouvan, Apricot Puree, Carrot):

Note to self: You have too many Offal-loving friends. :expressionless: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I’m such a wimp when attempting to eat Brains. I would have to say for the small bite I tried, it was well-breaded, creamy, and the flavor combination worked well. Our Offal-loving friends enjoyed it immensely.

Marrow Bone (Chimichurri, Caramelized Onions):

One of our favorite dishes from Animal is still on the menu: Decadent, indulgent, but so satisfying, this is like one of the best “Butters” you’ve ever topped a piece of Bread with. :wink: The Bone Marrow and Chimichurri combination is liquid joy on this crunchy, warm piece of Toast. :heart: Probably one of my favorite Bone Marrow dishes in the city.

Veal Tongue (Pickle, Apple, Salmon Roe, Black Mustard):

Unfortunately, we had this meal before @PorkyBelly’s warning, but it was as PorkyBelly had said: The Veal Tongue tastes dryish, firm, and more like a moist “Jerky” than what you might imagine an Animal’s preparation of Veal Tongue might be (tender). The only miss of this evening.

Peads and Barnetts Pork Toro (Plum Char Siu, Cabbage, Kanzuri, Green Garlic):

This was a nice surprise: A lean and fatty cut of Peads and Barnetts Pork roasted and cooked up to taste like a more gentrified version of Hong Kong BBQ “Char Siu” Pork. A bit sweet, savory, lightly spicy.

Duck Confit (Heirloom Beans, Collard Greens, Porchetta Spice, Bronze Fennel):

This was pretty incredible: Succulent Duck Confit, slow cooked, tender and then with the Duck Skin crisped up and encrusted with Fennel and a house blend of “Porchetta Spices,” with a pleasing Cumin note coming through the most. Delicious! :heart:

On another visit, this time for Brunch again…

Ginga Ninja (Rose Aperitif, Ginger Beer, Cucumber, Mint):

This was pretty refreshing and cooling; perfect for the warm weather. :slight_smile:

Tamago Scramble (Bone Marrow Sushi Rice, Japanese Pickles Arare):

Just as delicious as the first time we had it a few months back. :slight_smile: The Bone Marrow Sushi Rice is plump and nicely cooked, with just the right amount of fatty deliciousness from the Bone Marrow without overwhelming. The Scrambled Eggs and Japanese Pickles and the Arare seasoning blend worked wonderfully together to deliver a satisfying bite.

Melted P’tit Basque (Chorizo, Grilled Bread):

This is a bit of a nostalgic reminder of what made Animal so good and popular in its early years: Over-the-top, but elevated comfort food. :slight_smile: Here we have this piping hot dish of Melted P’tit Basque Cheese, encasing some pretty fantastic Chorizo, which is all spreadable onto the pieces of crunchy, crusty Toasted Country Loaf Bread. So good! :heart:

Avocado Toast (Furikake, Red Chili, Radish, Lemon):

It seems almost ridiculous and too “L.A.” to be ordering Avocado Toast, but I realized I had never tried Chef Shook & Dotolo’s version of Avocado Toast, so we were curious. :wink: It’s hard to screw up, but thankfully Animal’s staff delivers a spicy, creamy, crunchy bite of happiness here. :slight_smile: The Furikake seasoning is a brilliant move that elevates the dish beyond the typical Avo Toast offering.

Gem Lettuce (Beet, Feta, Pita, Sumac, Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette):

Another excellent Salad offering at Animal(!). In a place known for its extravagant, sometimes too much decadent meat dishes, this is another standout Salad that is worth ordering. The brightness of the Little Gems is without question, but all of the ingredients come together and shine here: The bit of Little Gem with the sweetness of fresh, farmers market Beets, the pungent bit of Feta Cheese, just the right amount of acidity and tart coming through in the Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette, and then the crunchy, addictive craziness of their Toasted Pita “Croutons” makes everything just work perfectly. :blush:

Country Style Pork Ribs (Balsamic BBQ):

It had been years since we last ordered Animal’s BBQ Pork Ribs. We remembered really liking them early on. Trying them again this time… it’s tasty, but lacks the deep smokiness from a low-and-slow OG rendition. They are tender, meaty, and are perfectly fine to scratch that itch, but the Balsamic BBQ Sauce might be a bit too piquant at times, turning into the dominant taste in some bites.

Foie Gras (Biscuit, Maple Sausage Gravy):

But we finish things off with one of Animal’s best dishes, on the menu since its Grand Opening years ago. The Foie Gras Biscuit is just STUPID GOOD! :heart:

Perfectly cooked Foie Gras, so creamy and buttery, taking on the subtle quivering silkiness of some of the finest Silken Tofu, but with all of the taste of pure crave-worthy, luscious and fatty, deeply satisfying joy that only this magical combination can bring you. The Housemade Biscuit adds more happiness, but it’s the Maple Sausage Gravy… that hit of aromatic sweetness, and savory porky notes and luxurious creaminess that just brings it all together. Outstanding. :blush:

Animal continues to deliver some satisfying dishes, both surprisingly light (like their Salads) and the Bone Marrow Rice Bowl, and more decadent dishes like the Melted P’tit Basque and Foie Gras Biscuit with Maple Sausage Gravy. That Duck Confit is a standout as well, and these days it feels like Animal is just a little bit more manageable to snag a reservation for a nice dinner filled with a delicate and decadent touch.

Animal
435 N. Fairfax Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036

12 Likes

That’s too understated @Chowseeker1999 - same day reservations at animal are now not only possible but very likely during the week anyway. It’s so GREAT!

1 Like

Great report.
I actually LOVE the super “piquantedness” on those ribs. Been that way since day 1.

1 Like

Hi @CiaoBob,

Thanks. :slight_smile: And great news that you’re able to get same day reservations; that’s pretty wonderful for a restaurant like Animal (and if you forgot to make reservations somewhere for the evening). :wink:

Update 3:

We had some friends visiting from out of town (just as the Foie Gras ban was about to hit), so we wanted to say farewell to some of the best Foie dishes in town before it was too late (plus our friends had never been).

Gem Lettuce (Beet, Feta, Pita, Sumac, Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette):

Crisp, funky, zesty, I love the textural contrast with the crunchy Pita Croutons (that are so addictive and tasty) and the Gem Lettuce and Beets.

Veal Tartare (Green Garlic Creme Fraiche, Tomato, Montasio Frico):

Tasty. Loved the Green Garlic Creme Fraiche with the Veal Tartare, although you had to be careful how much to scoop up so as to not overpower the bite.

Rabbit Larb (New Zealand Spinach, Herbs, Thai Chili, Crispy Shallot):

Sea Scallops (Leche de Tigre, Brown Butter, Fennel):

Nice outer sear on the Scallops, perfectly tender within. Loved the touch of Fennel that didn’t overpower the dish.

Marrow Bone (Chimichurri, Caramelized Onions):

Rich, hitting all the right savory notes with some satisfying lusciousness as well. :blush:

Prawns (Roasted Garlic, Chili Lime Salt):

Demolished in minutes. :smile: Beautiful brininess, smokiness and then sweetness within.

Yellowtail Collar (Jerk Spices, Jicama, Citrus, Palm Sugar):

This was thoughtful, with a nice kick from the Jerk Spices, perfectly cooked Yellowtail Collar meat within, moist, tender. :slight_smile:

Foie Gras Biscuit (Maple Sausage Gravy):

As soon as our friends took a bite of Chef Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo’s legendary Foie Gras Biscuit with Maple Sausage Gravy, literally every single one of them smiled, and a collective moan could be heard. :blush:

Yes, one of the dishes that put Animal on the map is still as ridiculous as always: Luxurious, fatty, creamy, decadent, sultry, just SO GOOD! :heart:

One of my dear friend’s husband blurted out, “I want another one please!” (He was dead serious. We warned him we had more food, but he insisted on ordering another one because it was so good.) :smile:

I am sad thinking about the California Foie Gras ban. :cry:

Poutine (Oxtail Gravy, Cheddar):

I am no expert on this famous Canadian dish, but Animal’s version isn’t quite like what we’ve had up North, but it fits what Animal is all about: Bold, meaty Oxtail chunks in a deeply savory Gravy. I wish the Cheese was more melted.

Country Style Pork Ribs (Balsamic BBQ, Tomato Panzanella):

I’m not a fan of their Country Style Pork Ribs, but some of our friends wanted to try them. They have a visually shocking looking bark, pure obsidian, but in actuality they aren’t really charred to a crisp. It’s not a classic American BBQ style, but evokes some of that taste. And it’s still too piquant.

Foie Gras Loco Moco (Quail Egg, Spam, Hamburger):

As awesome as always, Animal’s Foie Gras Loco Moco is Chef Shook and Dotolo’s take on the classic Hawaiian dish using a USDA Prime Beef patty, a slab of Spam and a nice succulent, luscious slab of Foie Gras. Perfectly cooked again, it’s buttery, decadent, beefy from the USDA Prime Beef patty, nice salinity from the Spam, and the gorgeous Foie Gras. :heart:

On this evening, Animal remains a place to eat well, with some stellar standouts like their Foie Gras Biscuit and Foie Gras Loco Moco. Since the California ban has taken effect, we haven’t seen what their replacements are, but they’ve been good in surprising us with lighter fare as well, such as their farmers market Salads, Soft Shell Crab (when in season), their Bone Marrow with Chimichurri, and some surprising Brunch items.

Animal
435 N. Fairfax Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036

11 Likes

Went back to our neighborhood classic today out of protest for being dissed by the LAT 101.

Randomly scored a table because we were walking around early and Jon and Vinny and Baadmash were being dicks.

It’s just always so good and rich.

Charred Cabbage a bit too oily bit nice masala dried fruit nut cherry tomato treatment

Pretty good, refreshing Bunny Larb. Though much too sour and no kick.

Phenomenal Veal Tongue again over black mustard with horseradish and red caviar as Russians call it

The star had to be the ridiculous cheeseburger. Blend of ribeye I think, short rib and bone marrow. Pepper jack with nice green chilis. Great sauce

Steady audio diet of WuTang (is for the children) and aTCQ (so step off the frankfurter)

Was funny seeing how LA serves marrow bones (neighbor tables) having just dined at St John’s. It’s laughable

6 Likes

Hello! Welcome home!

Hi @Nemroz,

Thanks for the great report back. :slight_smile: Wow that Veal Tongue looks delicious! That Burger though… first @PorkyBelly and now you. I think we might have to finally order it next time, but I don’t know how much I could finish of that. :wink:

2 Likes

Not too big. It was an easy split

1 Like