Destination Chinese restaurants

they’re the one and the same. 20 years ago, they were dow shaw (or some similar phonetic equivalent), reopened at the JTYH plaza as dow shaw/heavy noodling II and got known as JTYH because that the plaza name is above their storefront.

the house of omar (i forgot to mention this uighur place) is similarly mistakenly referred to as omar’s, even though the phone listing is “house of omar” as omar is the surname and the proprietor munrie happens to be female.

uighur: house of omar - great noodles as well.

and if you’re in arcadia, 101 noodle express for what was once the best but now just a solid contender for best beef roll in LA.

great minds?

i was never a fan myself.

besides crossing the boat noodles, and of course the cold tables, yunnan seems underwhelming to me. again a chacon son gout.

People have and interesting definition of destination Chinese restaurants in this thread.

Some people don’t know shit?

2 Likes

My theory is that great Yunnan cuisine depends on indigenous herbs, vegetables, and mushrooms not available elsewhere.

2 Likes

And how many people have the experience to compare the SGV, NY including Queens, and the greater SF area including the South Bay, anyway?

1 Like

More than you’d imagine. Lots more.

Nice work if you can get it.

I loved the cold skin noodles and lamb burgers at Shaanxi Gourmet, especially when they were the only place doing them, but I think the newer Xi’An restaurants do some of the noodles and the burgers better. I always liked Xi’An Kitchen’s biang biang mian better and Xi’An Tasty also serves a good version. The last couple of times I had the cold skin noodles at Shaanxi Gourmet (granted, the Arcadia branch, now closed), they were too vinegary and lacked the balance of the several other times I’d had them.

There are different destinations :slight_smile: robert’s looking for things he can’t find in the Bay Area, so I’m throwing some of those provinces out. YMMV :smiley:

Hopefully some of these people are doing a blog. That’s a lot of ground to cover.

True, we’ve sort of gotten away from “near Gold Line stations.” Liang’s isn’t far from the Gold Line Atlantic Station.

that makes sense to me

the cold skin noodles, ok, but since i could compare their other noodles to others, they just weren’t up to snuff. i feel the same way about china tasty. some folks love their noodles, to me they’re insipid. but again, a chacon son gout. [quote=“JThur01, post:31, topic:5240”]
There are different destinations :slight_smile: robert’s looking for things he can’t find in the Bay Area, so I’m throwing some of those provinces out. YMMV :smiley:
[/quote]

i’d like to think that he wasn’t commenting on our particular suggestions since we tailored our offerings to his more specific criterion. but maybe he was. i can live with it.

I’m giving away a free idea today: A great name for a new restaurant.

DestinAsian.

9 Likes

didnt Hop Louie close

The restaurant closed, but Hop Louie lives on as a dive bar.

1 Like

Ah, good news!

I have a similar question as Robert’s. A few friends and I are flying from the Bay Area for a Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon San Gabriel food crawl. I’ll ask advice on specific dishes later, but for now is there anything I’m missing restaurant-wise? We haven’t scheduled a weekend yet— any food events over the summer I should know about (626 Night Market seems like a waste of time as per comments here).

Here is the current short-list:

Sit-down

• Chengdu Taste
  • Szechuan Impression
  • Laoxi Noodle House (no Shanxi restaurants in the SFBA)
  • Sichuan Kungfu Fish (Wanzhou grilled fish is available at several Sichuan/Chongqing places in the SFBA, but SKF seems more specialized)

Snacks

• Beijing Pie House (lamb pie, wild radish pie)
  • Omar (meat pie specifically. Sama Uyghur in Fremont otherwise overlaps with the menu)
  • Shen Yang on San Gabriel (cumin lamb ribs)
  • 101 Noodle Express (Shandong beef roll) unless there is a better place these days
  • hmm… our snacks seem very starchy. Any destination worthy lighter dishes?
1 Like

Yes.

Can’t speak for Captain Blueface here, but my 2 yuan:

Ahgoo Kitchen (da bing, leek dumplings)
Corner Beef Noodle House (niu rou mian)
Nanjing Kitchen (saltwater duck)
SinBaLa (yeou fan; Taiwanese as hell)
Newport Tan Cang (Chiu Chow; signature crustacean dishes on noodles, loc lac; San Gabriel location is best)
JTYH - mian geda (oft-mislabeled as “cat’s ears”)
Huge Tree Pastry or Four Seas (for Chinese breakfast soymilk, crullers, fan tuan, etc.)
Pine and Crane (veggies & Taiwanese)

6 Likes