Destroyer (Culver City): A Pictorial Essay

[quote=“J_L, post:127, topic:4311”]
Fomite
[/quote]Of course I had to look that up.

1 Like

Seems legit
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQQT8Oyhmdv/

4 Likes

Und now is the time on Sprockets ven vee dance…

1 Like

Is that suppose to be similar to what Rick Owens did.

Hilarious. Is this serious or are they parodying themselves? Like Chef’s Table.

1 Like

It’s from tooth pix

1 Like

Oh great… another excuse to goof off. I so wish you hadn’t turned me on this. I’m already on the Heat parody.

I think that parody of themselves kind of reveals the true hidden dark side of it. Even cornflakes look profound shot in such a style, so it makes one wonder if the food really is as magical as it seems at the places they cover, of if it is their brilliant packaging that always does the selling…

1 Like

Hah! Someone should start a thread critiquing Chef’s Table restaurants. Unfortunately it won’t be me. Too bad @Porthos is not still with us.

I didn’t get it. Though, in fairness, it may have been an off day.

Loved Red Medicine and was really looking forward to trying Destroyer. Headed over there on a rainy Tuesday, hoping to beat the crowds.

Started with the beef tartare, which looked and sounded delicious in the menu description and online reports. Unfortunately, it seems I got a modified version that did not work for me at all.

You can see they used radicchio instead of radishes. There also was a grain(?) component I wasn’t expecting that overwhelmed the meat. The smoked egg cream tasted like plain old mayonnaise. The dish was crying out for a hit of acid, which the pickled mushrooms were presumably supposed to provide. They did not.

I also ordered the frozen peas, which were similarly disappointing. The peas themselves were fresh and crisp, which I love. But the frozen cream added nothing except visual appeal, and there were no gooseberries I could discern. Felt like I got the Ned Flanders special: a bowl of ice milk with peas.

Adding insult to injury, I was done eating by the time my lunch mates’ orders of chicken confit came out. It seemed like the kitchen was having a problem with this dish because I noticed several other people experienced similar delays. Also, the chicken portion was smaller than others have reported.

As I say, it seemed like the place was having an off day. Like they were unprepared for the number of people who would show up on a rainy day and just got overwhelmed.

Regardless, I felt like the items I ordered would be better as shared appetizers or sides on a dinner menu. The tartare was too small a portion to be lunch by itself. The peas were a huge portion, but too one note to be a satisfying lunch. The two together was too much food for me.

I wish more of the dishes were the portion size of the chicken confit. Alternatively, I would suggest folks do what @President_Mochi did and split several different dishes among friends.

3 Likes

roasted cauliflower, poached egg, black garlic, chicken skin: interesting and a good combination of flavors (including a warm buttermilk sauce), though they roast the whole cauliflower, outer leaves, stem, etc. and some parts were pretty fibrous.

Frozen peas were interesting but didn’t come together as a dish for me.

1 Like

You made it to the Westside! To one of my favorite lunch places, no less.
:slight_smile:

I like the Museum of Jurassic Technology.

1 Like

I am very happy people are expanding the definition of “Westside” finally!

? Where are you from again?

2 Likes

West Hollywood =D

1 Like

For the record, they now have stainless flatware.

1 Like

All this talk of Vespertine and Kahn on the other thread made me hunger, so off I went to Destroyer.

rice porridge,caramelized broccoli,puffed rice,burnt onion 13

This was so good! More of a risotto than a porridge, and when you sliced up the onion and mix it in with the broccoli and toasted seaweed, it is very good. I didn’t detect any puffed rice, and it was so salty I could only take a few bites. I hope the saltiness was an aberration, because this could be my new favorite thing there.

beets,pumpkin seed butter,blackberry,horseradish cream 11

It tasted like peanut butter and beets. Not recommended.

They have pretty new bowls, and the crowd at peak lunchtime is incredibly annoying.

1 Like

Second visit the morning. Counter staff emphatically recommend the avocado. Just rolled with it despite my less than stellar experience last time:

Luckily, the avocado was perfectly ripe and the oil was well seasoned (used the crusts if my bread to sop it up). The onion crust was flavorful. Much improved

Staff also recommended the blueberry dish:

Interesting mix of fruit, dried currants, lime zest, and cream. It take a few bites to get into it as it did not draw me right in immediately.

Cappuccino not pictured was really nice.

Although I had a much better experience, this is not food that will find myself craving. I’ll still see myself gravitating towards places like Breakfast by Salts Cure or Sycamore Kitchen when I get the itch for this sort of meal. Made me feel a little less apprehensive about the Vespertine compound across the street, which was rather pretty to look at in the morning sun.