Dim Sum recs in SF?

A recent article by @chandavkl has me craving some dim sum in SF. We’ve been to Hakkasan, Hong Kong Flower Lounge, and Hong Kong Lounge II.

What are some other great places to try in SF proper? Bonus points for places that are especially clean (Mom was traumatized after learning Hong Kong Lounge II got a bad score from the health department lol).

Dragon beaux. Pork belly. Full stop.

3 Likes

I had never looked at it on a map. 21st and Geary is a straight shot on the 38 Geary bus.

Yank Sing.

Crystal Jade is not a dim sum place, but the dim sum platter is excellent.

Not in SF, but Pacific Lighthouse in Alameda is worth a detour.

2 Likes

Hi @Bigmouth,

Definitely Dragon Beaux. Here are my pics and thoughts. My favorite Dim Sum in the U.S., by far! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lai Hong Lounge

3 Likes

Capturing a little random history I looked up: Ton Kiang started at 683 Broadway. They had another location at 3148 Geary near Spruce and a third, the remaining location, at 5821 Geary, Judging from the liquor licenses, it’s still owned by the same family.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/food/1985/05/05/the-chiese-soul-foodearthy-greens-and-clay-pot-cooking-from-the-hakkas/cc2135a4-997f-47db-9c2a-92d75f6e291a/

One of these days I want to go back and see if their 梅菜扣肉 is still the best.

https://www.iceorrice.com/braised-pork-belly-mustard-greens/

https://sf.eater.com/2020/8/17/21372259/ton-kiang-dim-sum-richmond-district-closing

I used to live at 17th and Fulton and would go there…30 years ago.

any recent recs for non-cart dim sum in san francisco proper? ideally some place whose calling card is not just mod/“elevated” dim sum (like dragon beaux, i guess).

we might try to stop at koi palace in daly city on our way in or out of town but it’s not certain it’ll work out time-wise, and so hoping to get a few recs for places in san francisco itself.

hk lounge bistro

2 Likes

yow–are those standard prices for good dim sum in san francisco?

Bay Area dim sum is so much better than SGV but it’s far flung in places like Fremont, Milpitas, Sunnyvale and San Jose. Perhaps you can try one of the HL Peninsula branches near SFO.

1 Like

does koi palace, daly city still have a strong reputation? their prices seem quite a bit less enthusiastic than those of hk lounge bistro.

Which places do you recommend for dim sum in Fremont, Milpitas, Sunnyvale and SJ ?

those prices are definitely on the high end

Pearl Bay in Fremont; Grand Dynasty in San Jose; Sifu Wong in Sunnyvale; HL Peninsula in Milpitas.

3 Likes

I had some great dim sum at Dumpling Home last month.

My longtime favorite is Yank Sing. Excellent renditions of all the classics plus some original / creative stuff. The branch at Rincon Plaza takes reservations (and honors them, unlike Koi Palace) and has validated parking in the basement.

My Chinese foodie hairdresser who’s a reliable source of tips highly recommended Palette Tea House at Ghirardelli Square, particularly on the weekends (less selection on weekdays). It’s part of the Koi Palace group.

1 Like

+1 for Palette. I believe they’re opening up in Irvine soon.

1 Like

just got a recommendation elsewhere as well for palette from someone who works near it.