Dinner, 10/30 -- RJ Mexican Cuisine in Dallas, TX

Visiting our friends Mimi and Tony in Dallas/Ft. Worth for the torrential flood/Halloween weekend, we had dinner yesterday at RJ Mexican Cuisine (1701 North Market Street). Being from California, we certainly have our fair share of Mexican food, but this was far closer to the exquisite upscale meals we’ve had in Guadalajara, for example, than your average Mexican meal we think of here in the States . . . or even Cabo or Tijuana.

Executive Chef Ronald Von Hatten, or “RV” to his friends, came out to our table and made us Californians feel as if we’d been not just regular customers, but “Friends for Life.” A gracious host, and a talented chef, he made sure our visit was as enjoyable and fun as it was tasty and satisfying.

We started with some excellent fresh Margaritas made by Adriana, and the following appetizers: Guacamole Supreme (guacamole, lump crabmeat, pico de gallo, ranch), and their take on Nachos (ahi tuna, jalapeno, pico de gallo, avocado butter, sriracha aioli, taro chips) – both were delicious, but the flavor of the ahi, coupled with the creaminess of the avocado and the balance of heat / spice / undercurrent of sweetness between the sriracha, pico de gallo, and the taro was a real treat!

Lynn & I both had a chipotle-rubbed steak that managed to achieve a perfect balance heat & spice AND allowing the delicious flavor of the Texas beef to come through. This was served with one of the best Chile Relleno I’ve ever had. Filled with shrimp, tomato, onion, serrano chiles, cilantro, and Mexican cheeses, it was almost tempura-like in its light crispiness – not oily or at all heavy! – and the shrimp were perfectly cooked, plump, sweet and delicate (it’s way too easy to overcook shrimp in a preparation like this).

This place was truly exceptional, both in the care they take with their patrons and in the quality of their cuisine. I know we’ll be coming back . . . already looking forward to it!

1 Like