Dinner at Kinjiro - Review with pics

My bad, I did put bits of all three on a plate. Here you go.

And this is the lovely takowasa

Excellent prep, the combination with the tomatoes worked surprisingly well (which is an addition I haven’t encountered before).

4 Likes

Feeling very inspired from reading this post, I made a very early post-work reso for one yesterday. Next time, I won’t go alone. Too many inticing things on the menu to try. Marrow and uni risotto are clearly two of the most delicious things I’ve had in a while. Tongue was “OK” and the hojicha panna cotta was a nice way to end the meal. Place started to fill up rather quickly despite the early hour on a weeknight. I’ll be back.

6 Likes

If this thread had convinced me of anything it was that a four-top is the way to go here. Looking forward to our meal next week.

1 Like

Only problem with that is you have to share and you won’t want to share that uni risotto.

1 Like

Another excellent dinner at kinjiro

Kanpachi

Oysters

You know what this fucker is

Firefly squid

So raw it’s still telling spongebob to fuck off

Monkfish

SUC

Kanpachi kama

Kalbi

Black sesame mousse

6 Likes

Just got back from dinner. Oh my fucking god.

3 Likes

Well, a small part of me had been wondering if Kinjiro could live up to the hype but after just a couple of dishes I was like Lili von Shtupp, going “It’s twue, it’s twue!”

There were four of us; we got a lot of stuff and closed the place down. At the end it was just us and a friend of the house, a cool, older Japanese dude and we chatted with Jun (the owner) for a long time about the restaurant, about sushi in town (he seems to know all the chefs; he told us Chef Yoshi from Mori is now at Kiriko), a friend of his who has a ramen place in the Twin Cities etc. etc.

What did we eat?

The fresh oysters in ponzu.
The uni/scallop/blue crab in ponzu.
The chilled, battered smelt.
The soy-marinated firefly squid.
The wagyu carpaccio.
The thick cut beef tongue with sea salt.
The agedashi tofu.
The chicken maki-age.
The bone marrow dengaku.
The black cod with miso.
The uni risotto.
The grilled onigiri riceballs.

Perhaps the only thing we didn’t love was the riceballs. Everything else was a hit, but I’ll single out the tongue, the bone marrow, the smelt, the agedashi tofu (shit, I’ve already “singled out” four things, but I’ll keep going), the oysters in ponzu, the uni-scallop-blue crab and the uni risotto.

Just great stuff and such a pleasant atmosphere. And a crazy deal for what it is. All of the above plus two small bottles of sake (Hakkaisan, Dassai 50), one large bottle of sake (Cowboy Yamahai) and a number of beers came to about $320 before tip. I cannot imagine that we will not return on every trip.

9 Likes

@MyAnnoyingOpinions are you still hanging out in the Twin Cities these days? And just visiting SoCal?

We live a bit south of the Twin Cities. We visit L.A a couple of times year as it’s where my wife’s extended family live (plus I lived here from 1993-2003 and have a lot of friends here still). Going forward it’s probably going to be just one trip a year though as we’re taking my mother-in-law back to Minnesota to live with us at the end of the week.

Wow, your Mother-in-Law agreed to move to Twin Cities? She must not have lived through a winter, LOL.

I lived in the Twin Cities (Burnsville) back in the mid 80’s. I left in the deep of Winter and was so happy to be in Southern California. Have been since then.

Good luck!!!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it, next time try the wagyu skirt steak over rice, kanpachi kama, foie gras, any of their sashimi, green tea soba, and foie gras custard.

1 Like

Well, the first year is the trial period. If she can hack the winter and also not being around a large Korean community she’ll stay–being with her grandkids will be some compensation. Looking forward to the home-made kimchi!

I spent about a couple weeks this year in Minneapolis during the winter months. It just wasn’t fun. The skyways did help, however.

It’s amazing what the human body can get habituated to. It helps that we spent our first four years after leaving L.A in Boulder but even then I would not have believed you if you’d told me that I’d be taking the dogs to the dog park when it was -4 out…I mean, I grew up in India.

Of course, we’d come back to Southern California in a heartbeat if we could. Alas, in our profession mobility is limited and now we’re both “made” and so probably there for life.

Will do. Since we’re at Mori for dinner very soon we steered clear of the raw fish last night. The foie gras custard was on our list but the uni risotto pushed us over the top. They’d recommended 8 dishes for four people–we were at 13 (we got 2x of the uni-scallop-blue crab in ponzu jelly).

1 Like

Enjoy mori. What else is on the agenda? Looking forward to your reports.

We were at Szechuan Impression, Gjusta and Elite (for dim sum) earlier; will probably return to Luv2Eat for lunch today or tomorrow. Other than that I think it’s probably going to be family stuff. A lot of people want to say goodbye to my mother-in-law.

1 Like

You need to round up some Twin Cities folks to get the Minnesota board going here.

2 Likes

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:45, topic:2389”]
Another excellent dinner at kinjiro
[/quote]Once again. Great pictures & great selections.

1 Like

As I slowly resize my pictures let me put one up. It was not our favourite thing on the night but it seems to be the one dish that’s not been pictured in this thread (or maybe I missed it): the grilled onigiri riceballs, with baby sardines, shiso and sesame.

4 Likes