Dinner at Kinjiro - Review with pics

Glad you enjoyed Izumi Judan. You picked a good place to try it. Some equate IJ to a martini. What dishes did this work best with from what you ordered?

So far Kinjiro and Mori Sushi have some of the best sake selections out there for the area, with Kinjiro sporting super reasonable markups (some not that much more than retail or the equivalent of buying retail and paying corkage) so huge kudos to Jun san for promoting sake and making even the higher end bottles more accessible. And their by the glass selections aren’t bad either.

Cowboy Yamahai is another must try, perfect for izakaya, yakitori, and grilled proteins/meats. It’s a Genshu (undiluted) so the alcohol content is higher, and it’s a Yamahai with higher acidity levels, great for cutting grease.

1 Like

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:100, topic:2389”]
They are currently only taking limited reservations (no walk-ins).
[/quote]Apparently, I’m not part of the limited edition. Did you call or email? Anyway, I’m cool with waiting; don’t want hit or miss on our first visit.

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:100, topic:2389”]
This was outstanding! Melt in your mouth, gorgeous Black Cod, cooked just to perfection.
[/quote]It looks it!

Regarding the Braised Pork Belly - I’m wondering if Niman Ranch is the culprit. Me being a sustainable, free-range kind of gal, I buy a lot of NR pork. Sadly, I find it can be tough and difficult to cook right. Hmmm… wonder what’s up with that? I give them props for trying to get with the sustainable program though!

We may not make it to Kinjiro right now, but definitely not giving up!

Good reporting!

1 Like

Nice report @Chowseeker1999, i’m glad you got to finally try the uni risotto. I agree with you on the pork belly, i had it once and it was fine. And yes, that saikyo miso is great, it was even better on the kanpachi kama but unfortunately they stopped serving kanpachi.

Have you tried the Australian wagyu skirt steak over rice? Pretty simple dish but the pickles, tender steak, wasabi, and rice go so well together.

1 Like

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thanks for the recommendation on the Yamahai. Will keep it in mind. :slight_smile:

I think I liked the Kibinago Sardine Tempura and the Black Cod (Gindara Saikyo Miso) the best with the Izumi Judan Sake. :slight_smile:

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks. Don’t be discouraged! I emailed.

But before you go here, definitely go to the Sushi places (and don’t forget Raku also). :wink:

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly,

We’ll definitely go back (when I start hearing reports from everyone that Live Uni is starting to be more successful locally from any of our trusted restaurants), and by then I hope their Live Uni Risotto is even better than what we had (which was solid). :slight_smile: Yours looked amazing.

I haven’t tried the Australian Wagyu but I’m making a note of it. Thanks!

1 Like

A few years back, Izakaya Bincho in Redondo Beach used to have the best buta no kakuni, in my opinion. Too bad they’re no longer around, but they did some fantastic food, with the buta no kakuni being a real standout.

4 Likes

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:106, topic:2389”]
I emailed.
[/quote]What am I, chopped liver?

Funny you mention Raku; that became the new bday plan. I’ve already started sushi classes :relaxed: and have been to a couple of “foot wetting” places (reports to follow). This made me re-think the sushi as a birthday dinner thing. I’ve been having fun exploring on my own without having to disrupt a companion’s meal with my questions or picture taking. So I thought Aburiya Raku would be perfect. My husband can enjoy grilled meats; plus I don’t have to take pics, as yours beautifully represent already. I’ll just report what we ate and about our experience. But as it goes with my big, lovingly irritating family - my bday has been hijacked by my cousins. They’re taking us out for Italian :neutral_face:. But we will definitely fit Raku in soon! And maybe Kinjiro :unamused:. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

About your birthday plans, very nice! Sounds like a winner. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your report at Raku and hope you have a wonderful birthday! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @Chowseeker1999!

Has anyone been since they’ve reopened? Wondering if there’s any noticeable difference.

Even better. Went two weeks ago and it was the best of about 5 visits.

1 Like

Hi @Clyde,

We went last month (when they had their new chef) and were just re-opening again. Posted it above in this thread.

any new dishes to report?

Yes, but unfortunately you’ll have to ask someone who drank a lot less than I did.
All I can tell you is all 4 of us thought it was our favorite visit

1 Like

My advice: If you’re thinking about going to Kinjiro, do it ASAP.

We had a fantastic dinner there last night, perhaps the best ever (and we’ve eaten there 6-8 times). But when I asked Jun about his recent closing, he said that they’re trying to figure out future directions; in the meantime they’re offering only limited seating as it’s just him, the chef, and the dishwasher. The restaurant was never more than half full, and Jun turned away walk-ins. So they seem to be in some sort of trouble/transition.

There’s not much change in the regular menu, and there were maybe half a dozen off-menu specials.

We ate a lot, and not one dish disappointed; these were the standouts (no photos, sorry):

We started with the trio of chinmi to pair with sake by the glass (one of Otokoyama and one of the Cowboy). The katsuo shutou–“tuna guts”–is gone (too few people ordered it), replaced by a very savory marinated ikura. The firefly squid and squid marinated in ink both remain and are bowl-scrapingly good.

Marinated mackerel with yuzu kosho–always one of our favorites, the mackerel is “marinated” by being sandwiched between pieces of kombu (“kobu-jime”), with a touch of vinegar. The kelp draws away some of the moisture from the fish, firming it up, but also lends a sweet brininess and incredible umami to the dish. Sometimes we repeat this order, we like it so much, but we restrained ourselves this time.

Uni risotto, which was one of the specials–In less skilled hands, this could be an ugly, mushy mess of a dish. But this was sublime. Creamy, yet each grain of rice was separate and toothsome. Smokiness from the dashi it was cooked in combined beautifully with the rich sweetness of the fresh uni. I wouldn’t call the uni flavor “bright”–not sure I expect that in a coked uni dish–but it was soulful and deep-tasting.

Grade A5 Miyazaki Wagyu, grilled over bincho charcoal–this was on the specials menu, and it was amazing. My husband eats almost no meat, so I was surprised he wanted to order this, but glad we did. We were getting full at this point, so shared an order of mozuku seaweed as a palate cleanser; this worked very well. The beef had been cut into log shapes before grilling, so that more of the surface area was exposed to the heat than in a standard steak preparation. We ordered 5 oz. ($100, in case you wonder) to share, and were served a plate of 20 square slices, maybe 1 inch on each side, seared well around the edges and raw in the center. The meat was grilled without seasoning, and served with sides of sea salt, wasabi, and an especially rich ponzu sauce. We dipped each slice in the ponzu, then topped with a tiny dab of wasabi and a few grains of salt. Phenomenal flavor, and each bite gave just a bit of resistance before dissolving into juicy fattiness that, paradoxically, seemed light and clean and even refreshing, without a hint of greasiness. This was one of the best things I’ve eaten in a long time.

Since we don’t like sweets, we ended the meal with ume chazuke, and tea, and shared a glass of Nanbu Bijin unsweetened plum wine (sake-based). Jun said it’s hard to find unsweetened ume-shu even in Japan, and that’s a shame. It was very refreshing; dry with a hint of sweetness, somewhat like a good cider. Rather too easy to drink!

Kinjiro is one of my favorite restaurants in Los Angeles, and I sure hope it can find a way to survive. I’m not going to wait too long before going back, though, just in case…

7 Likes

Wow thanks for the intel, that’s surprising as the place has always been full when I’ve been there.

Yeah, makes you wonder–what does it take for a restaurant like that to survive?

+1
Jun is great. I don’t know if they are on the ropes. He turns away so much business intentionally it appears to me.

It’s seemed like that to me too. Even the first time I went, he allowed one party in for walk in, but it was really early. I’ve never seen him do that again, and he turned away everyone else after that even when there were empty tables the entire time I was there (we’ve eaten there early quite often). People would also pop in wanting to just drink (must have been waiting for sushi gen) and he would say no to them also.