Dinner options

Finally making my way back to New York, this time not solo. My parents will be joining me. Need a dinner rec, we are staying midtown east, willing to travel though (no Brooklyn just Manhattan). Eating a Babbo one night so not Italian. Solid seafood would be nice since I live in Denver. But open to any cuisine. Price around $$$ (flexible) and no tasting menus. Anything that is a must try new or old. Thank you!

In/around Midtown (east and west), in no particular order

Loi
The Modern
Gabriel Kreuther
Le Bernardin*
Marea**

*Assuming prix-fixe does not mean tasting menu.

**Yes, it’s known for pasta but it’s eons better than Babbo as a purely Italian undertaking, as well as offering fabulous seafood (crudo, oysters, etc.) options.

All sound good. Been reading about Marea… might have to change over. Loi looks great have made a reservation for now.

Personally, if it was between Babbo and Marea, it’s not even a question.

Some two decades ago, soon after Reichl bestowed it with 3 stars, Babbo was indeed a destination-worthy restaurant. Now, it just seems lazy, with perfunctory food, and a staff that makes you feel like they’re just going through the motions.

+1 on Marea. On top of the food being great, I think it’d be an awesome place to take parents.

I’ve never been to Le Bernardin, but it’s definitely towards the top of my list when I go back.

In that general vicinity, if you’re looking for other, more casual, meal while you’re there, I really enjoyed Don Antonio (Neapolitan pizza). My brother also raves about Pastrami Queen but is a bit farther up from where you’ll be staying.

Have a good trip!

Thought I would report back a bit. I did enjoy Babbo. Is it the absolute best no.It is the most unique and hip,no. Was is a really enjoyable meal for my first time yes. Great pasta, I enjoyed the atmosphere and enjoyed catching up with an old friend. Visited Russ and Daughters and had the nova platter. Last night we went to Loi on your recommendation. It really was fantastic. We had the grilled halloumi cheese, and this octopus with fava bean puree. Dinner we shared the branzino ( we wanted the salt crusted fish for 2, but they did not have), and the braised meat lasagna and some baklava for dessert. Great place and would recommend to anyone when in New York. Thank you for the suggestions. I will be going to Marea next time I am in NYC.