Disappointed with L.A.'s Burritos, think SD has better ones

Those were really good, especially the scallop burrito, but I too have not had one in ages.

1 Like

Does Señor Fishey still exist ?

the eagle rock & south pasadena locations are ones i’ve patronized in the recent past. i’m sure there are others.

kinda like asking “who makes the better americanized chinese food: pf chang’s or panda express?”

2 Likes

yes.

I like the shrimp burrito (or the shrimp tacos----although Ricky’s tacos are much better) +1 for the ability to get a beer w/ your burrito.

eagle rock location has a patio which is also a +

That would be Panda Express.

I like Senor Fish, too.

2 Likes

those lettuce cups tho…

i can’t say that i’ve ever willingly eaten at either, but that’s my subjective impression.

still, IIRC the OP found the authentic version of a burrito which typically has a single or very simple filling overly pedestrian leading to this debate which just seems wrong on more than a few levels.

2 Likes

Well, it’s a question of taste for me, so there’s no real right or wrong. But I think the analogy to authentic Chinese vs. PF Chang’s vs. Panda Express is a little loaded. Maybe a better one would be Neapolitan vs. Chicago vs. NY pizza?

On our road trip. Stopped at Al n Beas. Very easy on and off the 101. The bean and cheese burrito at Al n Beas is indeed very good. Best beans I’ve ever had. You could taste the beans, very smooth and not greasy. Don’t think its destination worthy but glad I tried it. The sauce had nice flavor but wish it had some more punch.

2 Likes

The SF burritos you describe are actually “Mission burritos” and hence the size.

1 Like

To each their own, but I’ve seen many more knife-and-fork monstrosities in LA than I ever have in SD or even SF. In my experience, the smaller, simpler burrito they serve at a place like, say, Al & Beas is the exception, not the rule here.

not particularly. i’ve participated as a chaperone on a number of week long trips to various impoverished areas in mexico with high-school students from my church and eaten my share of bratwurst sized (or smaller) bean burritos as it was all our hosts could afford. i imagine that the reactions of (thankfully not all) the high schoolers (all from middle class backgrounds) would be representative of most americans: “boring.” “bland.” “when are we going to get some real food?” so i don’t imagine that level of authenticity selling well in the US. if the food doesn’t match the palate of the target demographic, it’s not going to sell regardless of how authentic it is. and it’s my perception that by and large, americans don’t recognize how much things from foreign cultures are typically tailored to accommodate american sensibilities. granted, probably less so from european cultures, so it’s not a blanket statement and there will be various exceptions, but i believe that there’s sufficient empirical evidence for the perception.

2 Likes

Thread is gringo af lol. Go to Al & Beas

1 Like

Exactly, I think the burritos at Yuca’s are pretty damn good.

1 Like

Okay, I see what you’re saying. But the problem with the analogy to PF Changs and Panda Express is it necessarily implies a mass-produced, corporate dimension that isn’t really the case with SD/SF burritos.

See that’s the thing. I personally find Al & Bea’s good not great. I also think the best burritos – like the best pizza – are the gringoized kind.

Yuca’s is solid. No dispute. But it feels more like the exception than the rule here in LA.

I really love al & beas… al pastor burritos from leo’s are dope. .but i had one from a truck in the middle of the night that was mindblowing… i wonder if i can dig up the pic of what truck that was on olympic close to mcarthur

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to try the burritos at Leo but always end up getting tacos. Can you watch them slice the al pastor fresh off the trompo if you order a burrito?

I have yes. Obviously they don’t do that during lunch.

1 Like

The chicken mole burrito at Panxa Cocina is outstanding. As is the grilled mushroom burrito.

In fact, most things are at Panxa Concina, and it’s quickly becoming a favorite spot.