Dish of the Month (DoTM) – APRIL 2016 – VEGETABLE(S)

Gjusta roasted root veg.(L) and leek salad (R). Both were excellent

Rhubarb atop wild rice pudding. Tartness tempered while still retaining a residual crunch

9 Likes

Haven’t been to Bru’s, but will try it. I like going to Gulfstream at the mall after work. They have good chowder, good martinis and a decadent fried oyster thing. I agree, they have some good spots at the food court. With all the construction the whole place looks so daunting right now though.

Had to call a plumber today to fix my backed up kitchen sink.

“Too many vegetables,” he said.
To which I replied, “Not enough vegetables!”
The plumber responded: “What?”
And then he left.

4 Likes

Dang Cookie - that looks awesome! I have to go there!

1 Like

Great. Oyster shrooms have a delicacy (not chewy or rubbery) and the coating is more of a corn starch, but buttery and crispy, with perfect seasoning. Then they’re garnished with chilies and basil. Really brilliant. We always end up getting a seconds.

Everything is good - the faux Chicken Kung Pao & “Crab” Rolls with creamy “mayo”.

If you go, call ahead to make sure they have oysters. One day we went and they were out. I wanted to start throwing furniture. But they’re so sweet I just silently pouted.

1 Like

Wild ramps at Mitsuwa.

8 Likes

Colonia Tacos Guisados - Cauliflower fried, vinaigrette, corn salsa, Vera Cruz flour.

9 Likes

Crispy brussels sprouts with lemon and a barely-there sprinkle of farmhouse white cheddar at The Hermosillo. Addictive…we ate half the order before taking this photo. Also the spicy shishitos with crunch quinoa at Redbird are a favorite.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! I see pickled ramps in my future

Didn’t even know what a ramp was. Always good to learn. :slight_smile:

Makes really nice pesto

2 Likes

Or make pasta.

I do a variant of the below with panchetta and/or clams.

http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-ramps/

2 Likes

I don’t know that I’ve seen ramps out here outside of a restaurant so that’s a real find.

I used to get them at the Hollywood farmer’s market during season (mushroom guys).

I haven’t seen them at the SaMo FM - Hollywood is usually too crowded for my taste but that’s a good reason to go.

Barbacoa portobello tacos at Chavela in Hollywood.

These are tasty little devils, with a slight spiciness. But they go quick. I could easily have two orders.

3 Likes

Is seaweed considered a vegetable?

Crazy vege pic I came across

4 Likes

6 Likes

@Sgee: what IS that???

And, if we’re considering mushrooms to be a honorary veggie, I don’t see why we can’t extend that same courtesy to algae…

3 Likes