Dish of the Month (DoTM) – APRIL 2016 – VEGETABLE(S)

ratatouille at takazawa in tokyo. it’s pretty impressive for vegetables.

2 Likes

Ahem. Please do remember that these are supposed to illustrate things you can eat… At the time… without being creepy or being charged w/ harassment. :wink:

3 Likes

Animal on Fairfax - Crispy Brussels Sprouts w/Pancetta Vinaigrette, Soft Egg & Parmesan. I wasn’t expecting it to be as great as it was. The sprouts were perfectly cooked, but the Pancetta Vinaigrette made the dish.

This picture is after I mixed it, because the sprouts were completely covered with parmesan like snow.

3 Likes

How about vegetable of the sea?

I came across this in Los Angeles Magazine.

2 Likes

Good primer!

1 Like

Redbird

Chef Neal Fraser’s flagship restaurant in downtown L.A.

Vegetable Salad (Sprouted Lentils, Beets, Sugar Snap Peas, Haricot Verts, Jicama, Tomatoes, Asparagus, Peas, Red Wine Herb Vinaigrette):

Really fresh, woodsy, herbaly… it tasted like I was eating on a farm (in a good way), LOL. :slight_smile: The Sprouted Lentils, Sugar Snap Peas and blanched Asparagus were the highlights. The Peas weren’t as bright and sweet as Mozza’s English Pea & Bacon Pizza (that was unreal), but pretty nice. Great salad.

Spicy Shishitos (Crispy Quinoa):

I love the Shishito Peppers at Redbird! :slight_smile: They’ve always been a highlight for me, and today’s version was just as good.

Chef Fraser shows off some nice flavor profiles with the Japanese Shishito Peppers which are fragrant and more delicate than, say, a Bell Pepper, and there’s an umami quality perhaps from the tangy blast of some sort of fish sauce seasoning. The sprinkling of Fried Quinoa adds this beautiful crunch (subtle) that completes the experience. Delicious.

Redbird
114 East Second Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 788 1191

14 Likes

I bought an Anova as well. Not impressed with it for beef, but great for pork and chicken. Haven’t used it for veggies yet, but it for grits or polenta its fantastic. Not having to stir or deal with sticky pots is a big plus.
Here is a link to J. Kenji Lopez-Alt’s sous vide primer, Sous Vide Cooking: How to Get Started

1 Like

Apologies for the previous fail. I had technical difficulties. The technical difficulties might be that I’m not technical.

MY TWO CENTS on Pico Blvd - Soul food made with local, organic, sustainable ingredients. She also tries to use a lot of compostable products. Beware, even fast-casual sustainable is not inexpensive.

We had Black-eyed Pea Stew w/greens and what seems like red quinoa, perfectly cooked Salmon w/Spicy Collard Greens, Shrimp & Cheesy Grits that will make you want to slap someone and Peach Cobbler.

5 Likes

Thanks, @ebethsdad! That’s the guide we’ve been using for our experiments, too! We found that it worked very well for beef…we used boneless ribeye and used the medium-rare instructions with a butter pan-sear.
Grits and polenta!?! Say what?!? I guess I know what we’re experimenting with next.

1 Like

Here you are! I use Anson Mills heirloom grits from Surfas. I skim the hulls off before sealing the bag with liquid and flavorings.

This forum is so much better than the old Chowhounds. This is the type of post that would be banned or banished as being off topic.

On topic I am switching the backyard boxes over from the winter crops, mostly lettuce, to the summer ones. Will miss the lettuce though…

10 Likes

“…to the summer ones.”

Tease.

1 Like

Redbird:

Spring peas with mint

New Zealand lamb with peas

Pea cake dessert with mint sorbet. Very clever and very good.

7 Likes

Did they sweeten the peas at all for dessert? I’m just trying to think of how that would go w/ and in a cake…

Not much. I think he was trying to highlight the natural sweetness.

It’s a savory dessert.

1 Like

Ignore the fish, the rest of the food pictured are veggies. :smiley:

Review of the food (from The Curious Palate in SaMo) in the rundown thread:

4 Likes

@Porthos nice. :slight_smile: How were the Spring Peas with Mint appetizer?

Excellent.

It’s a simple dish you can make at home +/- chile flakes.

From Tacos Quetzalcoatl (excerpted from my earlier post in the taco thread):

Omega-2 Taco (Calabacitas (Zucchini), Elote (Corn), Hongo (Mushroom), Espinacas (Spinach)):

This was a great Taco! :slight_smile: Being all vegetables, it was satisfying and tasty, the Mushrooms and Spinach were great, but the Zucchini and Corn added some nice texture and sweetness). Of course their great Condiments Bar helped:

When we arrived, they were fresh chopping up the vegetables and chilies and making fresh Salsa on the spot! I loved their Chile de Arbol Salsa: It was spicy, but not too much, and it was really fresh.

Their Pico de Gallo Salsa had Nopales (Cactus) mixed in (so good!), and their Guacamole was nice as well. Their Habanero Salsa was lethal, LOL. :slight_smile:

(CASH ONLY)

Tacos Quetzalcoatl
Mon - Fri (Downtown):
S. Central Avenue & E. 8th Street
Los Angeles, CA

Sat - Sun (East L.A.):
E. Olympic Blvd. & S. Kern Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90022
Tel: (323) 392-4444

Loqui

Mushroom Taco (with Handmade Flour Tortilla, Cheese, Beans, Guacamole, Onion, Cilantro, Salsa):

It looked a bit overdressed at first, but after one bite:

SO GOOD! :smile:

Really beautiful, deep, delicious Mushroom flavor bursting forth! Wow. I could seriously eat these all day! They are the best Vegetarian Tacos I’ve ever had.

Loqui
8850 Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
(no phone installed yet)

3 Likes

Spring vegetables have sprung at Gjelina!

charred snap peas, sofrito, prosciutto, mint & chile flake:

also had the amazing roasted thumbelina carrots, spiced yogurt, sesame seed & cilantro but that photo didn’t come out …

5 Likes