Dish of the Month (DoTM) – APRIL 2016 – VEGETABLE(S)

I was wondering how long it’d take someone to post a pic from Gjelina! Looks wonderful. How did the prosciutto go w/ mint?

Thanks @paranoidgarliclover.

How did the Fish & Chips compare with your favorite places around LA? It looked good. :slight_smile:

Mint is pretty subtle to my taste. Adds a bit of sweetness (along with the snap peas) in contrast to the prosciutto.

1 Like

Had it not been for the soggy bottom, I’d actually rank the fish to be among the best. The flesh of that fish was really, REALLY good (both in terms of texture and flavor), and the crust was nice and light.

Chips were unexceptional. So, overall, I’d probaby give the overall nod to Butcher’s dog.

Haven’t tried Red Hot Bus, though…

1 Like

i had thought i was going to live most of my life without reading the words “pea cake” in relation to a food discussion.
except for that one scene in “american psycho.”

1 Like

Arts District Brewing Co. …attended a private party for work a few months ago- the Tater Tots are excellent and are apparently sprinkled with opium. Ate way too many. Returned to take the bf to try out their beer (non-beer drinkers can appreciate the full bar) and got Tater Tots in their cute little brown paper bags- still excellent - and a carrot hotdog. The hot root looks great in their picture (credit to their food designer who outdid themselves with this photo),

and I love carrots and Brussels sprouts…but what was I thinking .schmerg, this was just weird. I ended up eating the roasted Brussels sprouts “relish” …the sousvide carrot?..just not right…to each his own.

3 Likes

Gotta say, I was into the carrot dog. I thought it was a clever way to have a “veggie dog,” and more than just being clever, I thought it tasted good (if a bit tough to eat). Completely understand that it may not be everyone’s bag, though.

1 Like

It does sound weird. But love all things potato… Tater Tots!!!

1 Like

That’s not even, like, guilty pleasure weird. That just makes no sense. :frowning: Thanks for taking one for the team…

1 Like

it’s on Fritzi Dog’s vegetarian menu (which predates ADBC), so it must be reasonably popular with vegetarians/vegans.

1 Like

I’m neither vegetarian nor vegan, and I liked it. But I am just one man.

1 Like

Agreed- they made a valiant attempt with all those herbsn’spices to make it go beyond your standard rabbit fare, and it even remotely resembled the shape of a hotdog. And I really wanted to like it. Perhaps it’s my childhood aversion to hotdogs…maybe it’s psychological bias? Hmmm. nah. Just weird.

1 Like

yes, I tasted it @ Fritzi Dog and didn’t like the flavor profile. It’s an inventive way of making a “veggie dog” and the FD version looks like an actual hot dog. I have some photos @ work (from a previous Farmers market photo shoot)—I’ll toss one up tomorrow (I don’t remember the brussel sprouts ON the dog, but they had that as a side). @ Fritzi Dog they have roasted brussels and roasted cauliflower—both are very good as are the tater tots!

1 Like

Here’s a photo of the carrot dog (it was served w/ sauerkraut on a pretzel bun)—it looks more like a hot dog vs a carrot and a photo of the carrots sautéing:

2 Likes

2 dishes that really celebrated Avocado and English Peas.

Cento Pasta Bar

Crostino (Avocado, Truffle Cream):

I think it was @ipsedixit and @J_L who recommended this dish. Just delicious! :slight_smile: Perfectly ripe, fresh Avocado, the Bread and Truffle Cream and some Sea Salt brought it all together.

Riccioli (Pea, Preserved Lemon, Pea Tendrils):

Wow! I’m so glad fresh English Peas are back in season! Cento’s Riccioli Pasta’s star are the fresh English Peas, incorporated into the sauce. Every bite exudes that pure, delicate sweetness that only fresh English Peas have (not frozen), some earthiness and springtime qualities.

Wed - Sat
11 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Cento Pasta Bar (at Mignon)
128 E. 6th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90014
Tel: (213) 489-0131

8 Likes

Avocado w/Truffle Cream… I must eat that now!

Butter lettuce at birch

11 Likes

Man that looks great - veggies and all. Lamb shank Banh Mi on flatbread?

Yeah it reminded me of a banh mi and also david chang’s bossam at ssam.