Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- AUGUST 2016 -- COLD (POSSIBLY FROZEN) NON-DESSERT DISHES

[quote=“Bookwich, post:43, topic:3920”]
I know it’s not the omusubi you find at gas stations and 7-Elevens in Japan, and no, you can’t walk down the street eating it, and yes, they use the wrong seaweed. But I don’t care. I like it.
[/quote]Not everybody would know that :smiley:. It looks and seems like something I’d like too.

1 Like

P.S. Did you have a kale salad in that purse?

2 Likes

Do acai bowls count as non-dessert?

5 Likes

No… But thanks for the adorable picture. I hope you gave your faithful friend a lick.

1 Like

How was the acai bowl intended??? Did you use it as a coda to a meal??? And I’m thinking that the bowl and spoon themselves (which look suspiciously like those associated w/ froyo) is not helping… :wink:

#Kinjiro

Cold uni tsukemen with inaniwa udon noodles #unijuice

5 Likes

Uni gazpacho with late summer momotaro tomato, from Kiriko… Brilliant in texture, concept & taste!

6 Likes

They bill the acai bowls as breakfast, but I had it at 3p so…

2 Likes

It’s a liquid uni throwdown. Is this a common preparation or chef brilliance? Whatever it is, it puts or should put Kinjiro and Kiriko in another realm.

2 Likes

I had this as a lunch substitute, and there is spinach and kale somewhere in here. Therefore, it counts.

The Juice Parlor
5658 Cahuenga Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 91601
North Hollywood

This was the “clean green”

4 Likes

Also from the same acai place?

Sorry I’m a bad reporter.

The Juice Parlor
5658 Cahuenga Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 91601
North Hollywood

This was the “clean green”

2 Likes

Avocado Toast at Lodge Bread, Culver City.

The bread was in no way toasted, so I think it should count. So pretty, it looks like fish scales. The radish was nice, but I prefer a spicier radish. Great bread (but definitely not toasted).

Oyster Sampler at Hog Island Oyster Co., San Francisco.

They were so briny today! Too briny. I like West Coast oysters because they are sweeter than East Coast oysters, but I had to add mignonette to these to cut the salt taste.

I don’t have a photo of the bread and butter, but it’s cold and very delicious.

5 Likes

I’m an East Coaster, but also prefer West Coast oysters. What is that?

What is what? It’s an oyster sampler plate of six different oysters from Washington, Oregon and three from California.

No… Sorry… I wouldn’t ask a snarky question like that. It was a rhetorical question like - “What is it, that I’m from the east coast, but prefer oysters from the west coast?”

1 Like

I plagiarized @PorkyBelly’s picture. But this was a total hit with my guests tonight. Cold Fried Chicken Sandwich from Sack on Melrose.

4 Likes

I look forward to the seasonal hatch chile salad from Gelson’s every year. But, this year, they seem to have altered the recipe. Normally there’s quite an intense chile flavor; not so much this year. :frowning: I also really like the spinach pesto pasta (available year round). And some proof for the disbelievers that you can indeed order a half sandwich. :wink:

I also finally tried the Sushi Tsujita premium chirashi “bowl!” YUM. I haven’t much of an idea of what I ate, but it was delicious.

8 Likes

I’m looking forward to the “hatch chile roast” at my local Gelson’s (Century City) in September.

When in Sept is it? I don’t see it listed on the website (and never knew they did this!).