“What do you want to do?”
“I don’t know.”
“Should we ride [our bikes] over to 26 Beach and see who’s there?”
“Okay. I want a margarita.”

~ Under the radar Venice life. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

…aka Man Salads

4 Likes

Victor Jr’s in Culver City. I love this place. Hard to beat the QPR.

Chopped Italian Salad $9.95 Romaine and iceberg lettuce, Genoa salami, romas , red onions, black olives, mozzarella, provolone and romano with their housemade Italian. Heart healthy! :wink:

My wife added an order of the garlic knots, $5.95 for a dozen. (i am eating low carb so believe me, this killed me watching her eat these!!!)

10 Likes

Hit up Urban Plates in Brea in between soccer tournament matches. We both got salads. The kid got a grilled chicken Caesar and added tomatoes and cucumbers. I got the tuna Nicoise and added roasted golden and red beets. Both were great. I would come back if we find ourselves back in the neighborhood. Loved that the salads were made-to-order and customizable. The folks who work here have to have a lot of patience to deal with so many people who filter through.

3 Likes

This being salad month, has anyone ever been to Simply Salad? I always walk PAST it en route to Tender Greens, and I keep forgetting to stop in…

Went to Highland Park last night for an in-store performance at Permanent Records. It also happened to be their neighborhood art walk night. Really nice vibe and what seemed to be interesting eats, in brick and mortars, street vendors, and food trucks (actually, singular…I only spotted one truck, Sticky Rice). We first stopped in the Hermosillo, but two in our party are vegans so we decided to go elsewhere. There was a vegan taco stand, but one in our party’s first concern was getting a glass of wine. We decided on The York, my first time there. Vegan choices and a full bar. My friend and I shared their summer salad, which consisted of lettuce, grilled peaches, goat cheese, and spiced pecans. I was not impressed. Just a pile of chopped romaine with 4 pecans, a smattering of goat cheese crumbles, and 4 grilled peach slices. The peaches were quite lovely, but the salad as a whole needed more goodies. Much better was the giant pretzel (their cheese sauce was unexciting though…mustard was the winner) and french fries. So much for the “healthy” salad :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks for the report back and warning on The York. :slight_smile:

Pliny the Elder FTW

1 Like

Why can’t our markets have end displays of Pliney like the markets up north? :thinking:

Check out the Bristol Farms in Westchester, bruv. Not an end display, but they had some (two bottle limit) this weekend.

1 Like

I really like buying the marinated squid salad from HK (korean store) on Western

2 Likes

Did a salad bang bang the other day in Silverlake.

NIGHT & MARKET SONG
Larb Lanna

DAW YEE MYANMAR CORNER
Tea Leaf Salad
photo from Yelp

8 Likes

Green papaya salad.

Vietnamese papaya salad is more delicate than Thai. Very refreshing.

Phorage, Palms

6 Likes

I walked by the dtla locale on my way to Whole Foods and saw a couple lunchers seriously chowing down. I didn’t care for the deep, oval shaped bowls, but it isn’t a complete deterrent. Maybe I’ll check them out and report back.

1 Like

Hi @chinchi -

We went in June. If we go again I’d like to check out the vegan taco/burrito stand. It had a huge line and folks looked supremely satisfied. We saw the sweet, little, vintage Sticky Rice truck but ultimately went with Ramen of York. Very satisfying.

1 Like

Oooo, I’ll have to give that a shot. I’ve been looking for an acceptable Westside source for papaya salad to scratch the itch when I don’t feel like driving to Thai Town.

It’s excellent. And if you want it a bit funkier or spicier, they will give you fish sauce and Thai peppers.

1 Like

Vespertine

samphire succulent
Does food that my food eats count?

7 Likes

The Palm - DTLA

I know. I know… other restaurants to come. :slight_smile:

The Gigi (sans bacon)

Meh…

Carpaccio of Beef Tenderloin

Fresh, earthy, just short of gamey, but still meh…

Three-Cheese Potatoes au Gratin

Not meh…

Cookie-fied

I’d have to relinquish my name if I couldn’t turn those dishes into something tasty. :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Is that … Martin Shkreli?

Forgot to take a pic, but my Chinese Chicken Salad with avocado at CCC was tasty as usual.

2 Likes