Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- DECEMBER 2016 -- GONADS, PIES, AND CURRY

'Nads and 'shrooms @ yazawa

7 Likes

I’m starting to get the sinking feeling that I’m going to get to the end of the month without uni.

I was Mitsuwa today specifically to pick up rice and uni, and the only uni they had was from Mexico. I didn’t even know Mexico farmed sea urchin.

The conditions have been pretty bad for uni availability in SoCal for the past few weeks…

Since eggs are in play, cured sea snake eggs. Although consumed last month … I cheated

3 Likes

Hi @Sgee,

Wow, where was this, and how did it taste?

@Chowseeker1999 I had this in Okinawa at Kana Restaurant. Taste a little like cheese.

1 Like

“How were the cured sea snake eggs?”
“Taste a little like cheese.”

That may be right up there with “a cupful of liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.” in the category of factually accurate but utterly unhelpful description of flavor.

3 Likes

I thought it was a perfectly reasonable description… I don’t think too many people have dined on sea snake eggs and even less likely to expect the eggs to taste like cheese (at least I didn’t)… I will add there was mild hint of fishiness at the end.

2 Likes

Cheese w/ fish.

… what kind of cheese? Red Hawk funky? Sharp bleu? Buttery havarti? salty parmesan?

… cheese… with fish. cheese with fish.
I’m trying, but I can’t make that sound right.

of course, I also always think crab or lobster w/ cheese sounds wrong and I am reminded of crab alfredo and I remember and shut up.

Mild Gjetost - some lingering sweetness from the miso curing process. With a faint hint of ikura’ish fishiness

4 Likes

Oh yeah, that cheesy-ish flavor of sea snake eggs. :laughing:

2 Likes

Hokkaido uni and Shirako at Go’s

5 Likes

Curry cauliflower soup.

I had roasted a cauliflower, but it wasn’t very soft, so I simmered it in a little broth and milk, then put it in a blender with more broth and leftover yellow curry potatoes from Samosa House.

Then I made it look pretty.

10 Likes

the curry chicken rice at P P Pop in monterey park is a misnomer - it’s really curried rice with chunks of fried chicken in it, but still tasty.

this goes back to when flavor garden was still flavor garden with their version of meat pies. i’ll let you speculate on the filling because i just don’t remember.

oddly enough, that’s all i got.

2 Likes

Cranberry & golden raisin pie, from Martha Stewart’s Pies & Tarts cookbook. Mom baked, I ate :smile_cat:

8 Likes

Restaurant Koi (Seal Beach)
Pairing uni with sweet ebi, chopped toro and shiso, and bluefin tuna and scallops is decadent and delicious.

7 Likes

Is that a little shiso leaf Christmas tree??

@Bookwich Cucumber Christmas tree…carefully and artfully carved with tomago adornment for lights and ornaments.

4 Likes

Without realizing it, I inadvertently participated in the DotM! (I’m obviously not very well organized.)

No photos, but had a lovely slice of pear tart at Taix as a conclusion to Christmas Eve dinner. (A tart is a type of pie, right?)

And our Christmas meal was at Mint Leaf in Pasadena and involved several curry dishes.

So, er, yay me?

5 Likes

Funny girl. But how was Taix for Christmas Eve dinner? Seems like a lovely choice.

1 Like