Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- DECEMBER 2016 -- GONADS, PIES, AND CURRY

Is that a little shiso leaf Christmas tree??

@Bookwich Cucumber Christmas tree…carefully and artfully carved with tomago adornment for lights and ornaments.

4 Likes

Without realizing it, I inadvertently participated in the DotM! (I’m obviously not very well organized.)

No photos, but had a lovely slice of pear tart at Taix as a conclusion to Christmas Eve dinner. (A tart is a type of pie, right?)

And our Christmas meal was at Mint Leaf in Pasadena and involved several curry dishes.

So, er, yay me?

5 Likes

Funny girl. But how was Taix for Christmas Eve dinner? Seems like a lovely choice.

1 Like

Amuse-bouche of Curry, Coconut, Creamed Cauliflower, Raisins, Pistachios & Other Stuff at Restaurant R’evolution in New Orleans

This restaurant gave us one of our best dining experiences ever.

Uni & Ikura w/Quail Egg at Izaka-Ya by Katsu-Ya, 3rd St, Beverly-Grove (I can hear the groans)

Blech and blech. Even I know that Uni wasn’t good. I’ve actually had good Uni at Katsuya. But if you sushi pros aren’t satisfied with the offerings this season, then you know Katsuya isn’t getting it.

6 Likes

Taix and Mint Leaf here: Christmas Take Out - L.A - #11 by ElsieDee

2 Likes

You are too humble.

Sometimes. But seriously, you guys have taught me a thing or two. Otherwise I might just have thought “What is everyone raving about? I don’t like uni.” But I knew this one was bad.

Very interesting you should post that. I was at Sotto for their NYE dinner, and there was an uni pasta (I think) choice. I remember thinking, “Oh, all the knowledgeable FTC’ers have been saying that the uni isn’t great this year, so I’ma gonna skip it.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

HA. I had the same exact conversation with myself at Bestia a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes

Funny uni posts. I had the uni and Ikura fried rice at Night Market Song a week ago and the uni on it was pretty damn good. Pure seafood custard.

3 Likes

Paging @PorkyBelly, uni rice @ Terra Cotta

Pic from KevinEats

http://www.kevineats.com/

Uni Rice [$24.00] | hot stone rice with seaweed, cucumber, caviar and sea urchin

4 Likes

Thanks, i was all over that when i saw it on the menu. Had to do an uni rice bang bang with POT #inbeforethekevin

5 Likes

should’ve known you were already on top of it.

1 Like

Just glad you enjoyed the urchin-forward preparation, which was on point.

6 Likes

It was a must order, the sea urchin ate sweet, creamy, and briny. The flavor profile of the seaweed and cucumber imparted a welcomed vegetal-forward component to the dish, natch.

6 Likes

:smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The rice provided the perfect starchy foil for the the tender, perfectly yellow uni.

2 Likes

Mmmmmm, yelloooowwwwww (Homer Simpson drooling)

1 Like

Is yellow good?

1 Like