Dish of the Month (DoTM) – December – SOUP

Hi @TonyC,

Haven’t tried it but I will next time I go. :smile: Every time I go there is when I have a craving for the Menudo Blanco LOL, and then I’m too stuffed to have anything else. I’ll report back when I try it.

@TonyC, thanks.

Is the Uni-boil in Monterey Park just as good as the one you went to in Rowland Heights? MP is easier to get to for me, LOL.

Also the instant ramen and cheese thing… wow, is this kinda like the Korean “Military Soup” I’ve had before in some random K-Town restaurant?

(Edit: Oops, just found via Google that “Budaejigae” is the Korean Military Soup I’ve had before LOL. Didn’t know what it was called in Korean. Thanks.)

1 Like

Really good, hearty split pea with ham at Gjusta, served with grilled bread.

2 Likes

@NewTrial awesome! I always see it on the menu at Gjusta, but never order it. Can’t wait to try it next time.

1 Like

@TonyC speaking of government cheese, you try this place yet? It’s got your name written all over it:

http://laist.com/2015/12/08/get_hot_pot_with_your_comrades_at_t.php#photo-3

No, make that, fuck no.

They modeled themselves after the popular “themed restaurant” hot potting experience that’s popping up all over China’s metropolitans, and instead of sexy maids, they decided on Communists.

My trusty comrades have already told me this place is a sham. You might as well go to the newly opened Honey Pig 2.0 one story up.

Pork Noodle Soup with pork on top of pork from BKK101 Thai on Venice at Sepulveda.

2 Likes

Post-soccer caldo de res at Super Antojitos hit the spot this morning.

4 Likes

Lunch today – my favorite:

KATHMANDU LENTIL WITH CAULIFLOWER, KALE & QUINOA
Onions, Carrots, Celery, Lentils, Filtered Water, Cauliflower, Kale, Quinoa, Lite Coconut Milk,
Garlic, Ginger, Spices, Sea Salt, Olive Oil

From the Gourmet Soup Kitchen

2 Likes

Today’s lunch from Monte Alban: Consome Ranchero. Chicken, jalapeño, Ranchero cheese, rice, avocado, tomato, cilantro. Incredibly soothing

7 Likes

Rare steak and meatbal Phô from Super Phô and Teriyaki on Venice in Palms.

2 Likes

Tantanmen ramen from Anzutei in Downtown LA

5 Likes

Coconut Kabocha soup from XA Swet and Savory (Orange). Cuisine is Asian Fusion. Good foodAnd good value.

1 Like

Pho Dakao in Westminster.

Nice clean broth. $8 for the large with all the chicken parts.

1 Like

What do you think of the food at this place? I’ve never heard of it, but maybe I’ll try some westside pho at this place and the place in Brentwood, if the weather remains so cold…

1 Like

dude I just mentioned this place in the pho ga post.

I’ve been several times but only for their beef pho.

2 birds, 1 stone.

Q @Porthos, is that the HDR going crazy, or is that pho broth actually the color of yellow pee (ie., Knorr).

re: Uni-Boil.
MPK is closer to me as well, so that’s where I go.

In the area though, the new H.O.T. Spicy pot seems to be where I will be going next for “pots of spicy liquid” since they actually boil bones.

Broth is yellowish. Don’t carry a pro camera with me. Sorry.

Chicken skin is indeed the dark yellow skin indicating the free range chicken as a color reference.

This is my favorite Culver City Pho. The broth is decent. I just add a little sriracha and lime to bring it to my taste. The Noodles have good texture with a bit of bite and they don’t get mushy by the end of the bowl. Dommy says she gets a hit of MSG off the bowl, but I don’t. Dommy really likes their Chicken Teriyaki bowl and we think their Banh Mi is good for the Neighborhood. I saw on the wall they now seem to be offering Bun, but can’t confirm. Plus, their prices are cheaper than anyone else’s in Culver City.