Dish of the Month (DoTM) – December – SOUP

Went back to Jong Ro Shul Lung Tang and got the large sized pork neck stew. I think I prefer this version over the one at Gam Ja Tang.

It’s more flavorful with a barley undertone. Super meaty pork neck/pork back. Also got the kalbi tang which is decent but the pork neck stew is where it’s at. Panchan is meager which is a shame.

3 Likes

Abalone and pork rib ramen with black truffles.

1 Like

Where the what the???

Pozole. La Cabinita, Montrose.
Tantanmen. Anzutei, DTLA
khao soi. Inthanon Thai, NoHo
Cha cha cha ramen. Jinya, studio city

4 Likes

+1. That looks and sounds divine!

From where, P?

Tom Yum Kah Gai at Thai Nakorn in Garden Grove (Chicken & veg soup w/coconut milk). Ambrosial. Sorry, no pic.

Home cooked

3 Likes

@Porthos lucky! :slight_smile: Looks awesome

Oxtail pho at Feu in Studio City.

Broth has the requisite star anise, etc. in the background, but is quite light in comparison to other pho broths. There is a lot of meat (and fat) on the oxtail bone in the soup. But as you work your way through it, the pho is truly one of the best I’ve tasted. Very rich once you consider the oxtail.

1 Like

Kotoya, black garlic ramen. Broth isn’t super heavy, chashu is wonderful tender (but doesn’t have a crust). Egg (not pictured) is quite liquid-y inside and, curiously, isn’t halved (served whole). Really good neighborhood joint. :wink:

Tonkotsu and spicy tonkotsu at Ramen Yamadaya in CM. Not bad at all. Gyoza weren’t great, though.

Crab Omelet Ramen at eboshi in Lomita.
It wasn’t as good as I was hoping for. The eggs just dominated the crab in all but texture. Nice old Japanese family-run vibe though - I wonder if anything there is outstanding.
Will stick to Oumi Sasaya in that area.

2 Likes

Sapp Boat Noodles with Beef, liver and Tripe…

3 Likes

Combination Tofu with beef, oyster, clams and of course tofu. Raw egg was added as it was served and made it more creamy and delightfully rich. Very fresh and tasty banchan too.

Beverly Soon Tofu
2717 W Olympic, just west of Vermont
KTown

3 Likes

Yoma. Samosa soup.

This was okay, but I remember the samosa salad being more enjoyable. Basically, this was a legume soup with little samosas inside.

2 Likes

Centro Basco in Chino serves the soup of the day with beans and bread for $6.95. Today it was a Manhattan-style clam chowder. You get a large tureen of soup, and after filling my bowl four times, I gave up. I think there was enough for six bowls of soup.

1 Like

Was it any good? If good, that’s insane value. :slight_smile:

It can’t have been bad if he ate four bowls. :o)

Only about a month late…had the best split pea soup I have ever tasted at John O’Groats today. I don’t hang out there, but happened to be nearby The split pea soup was the soup of the day; today being Wednesday. A generous cup of that delicious soup and a half of a great roast turkey sandwich was quite wonderful and $9.95. There were other 1/2 sandwich choices, including BLT, tuna melt, tuna, etc. This was just great home cooked food.

5 Likes