Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- January 2016 -- LAMB

New Zealand lamb at Little sheep

Side of lamb wontons.

3 Likes

No pics, but if you’re ever flying on Emirates the braised lamb options are excellent.

Met a friend to watch the NFL playoffs and we wanted something beyond typical sports bar food. Ended up at El Dorado bar and grill in Long Beach. Owners are south african. I tried their Durbin lamb curry. Came with a papadum, shredded coconut, banana and tomatoes on the side. It was more like a stew, I don’t know what authentic Durbin curry is supposed to taste. I liked the blend of flavors but some of the meat was a bit tough, other pieces fine. Overall for $13.95, I thought it was a good deal for a sports bar place. I also tried the peri peri chicken livers for appetizers. Next time, I’ll want to try their biltong and boewers sausages. They also have some craft beers available.

The chicken livers. Not that spicy and sauce a bit oily. But I liked the spices and flavor, would want to try it on wings next time.

4 Likes

Great post; I’ve never heard of Durbin curry (and know nothing of South African cuisine). Does it resemble other, “well-known” curries (Indian, Thai)?

Probably more Indian in that it’s more stew like with no coconut milk and similar spices. I’m horrible at naming spices, I can place flavors but have a hard time naming them.

badmaash lamb burger

3 Likes

Real nice DineLA menu at Aqui de Texcoco…$15 lunch!

4 Likes

Huh…Aqui es Texcoco is not the type of place I thought would have a DineLA menu…

1 Like

They were on the roster for DineLA last go round as well.

Lamb Ribs from Charcoal Venice. Fantastic. Meat fell off the bone.

2 Likes

those are great!

What does Charcoal charge for those Lamb Ribs? They look wonderful.

$12.50 for 4.

Duck was $56 but very large portion. Plenty to share as a main for two.

3 Likes

They’re topping them with something pickled now? Was fresh cilantro a month ago. Interesting.

Smoked lamb taco at revolutionario

4 Likes

Istanbul Grill in Fountain Valley. Outstanding. Shame on me for driving by this place without stopping for so long.

9.95 lunch special for appetizer, entree, dessert. But high quality stuff. Maybe one of the best $10 lunch specials in the area.

Kofte (lamb and beef) kebab. Really juicy and flavorful. Nice charcoal flavor.

Adana lamb kebab. Also outstanding. Nice lamb flavor, juicy, and again nice whiff of charcoal flavor.

3 Likes

Phillipe’s The Original Double Dip Lamb

2 Likes

That tastes good?

Well it’s better than the beef. And there’s that whole nostalgia factor which works better on some than others.

cheddar on lamb?

I usually get the lamb dip @ Phillipes too—typically plain, but if I’m in the mood for cheese on my sandwich I tend to choose either swiss or blue. (+ a glass of pinot noir which costs more than the sandwich)