Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JULY 2016 -- BBQ/GRILLED MEATS

@OCSteve cmon man, beef short ribs are really easy to BBQ.

Got these on sale at SuperKing for <$25.

1 Like

Made these Niman Ranch loin back ribs the other week cuz sale.

6 Likes

That is a good price.

Take a look at amazingribs.com. I think it has a glossary.

As for books, I recommend Aaron Franklin’s book. It’s really nerdy, but it’s the best barbecue book out in my opinion because it includes more detail than any other barbecue book I’ve read and I have probably over 30 barbecue books.

The one book that could be better is Meathead: The Science of Barbecue, but I haven’t read it yet (I already have it though). He’s the guy who started amazingribs.com.

2 Likes

FYI @OCSteve - Those aren’t the ribs I cook. Those look like 4 bone racks of Chuck Short Ribs. I’m cooking 3 bone racks of Plate Short Ribs.

1 Like

Its a good book. I use it often. Most of the recipes are on amazingribs.com, but there are some new ones.

Yeah, I just posted because these chuck short ribs were so inexpensive they are nice to practice on. $3.49lb for two sections.

amazingribs.com is one of my go-to’s as well

I get that. Just trying to get an idea. My cook times vary, too, but I always have a general idea when I should start various meats in various types of weather to get dinner (or whatever) to the table close to a target time. I never get too concerned about time, but it’s nice to have an idea when you’re having guests over.

@A5KOBE. I know, I know. I’ll try soon. With three kids, one of whom plays club soccer, time is often a factor.

1 Like

[quote=“mhlee, post:104, topic:3662”]
I recommend Aaron Franklin’s book. It’s really nerdy,
[/quote]Funny. That’s How I describe him - hipster nerdy. He has a show on Create (PBS). Has anyone been to the restaurant in Austin?

Those ribs cook differently than Plate Short Ribs.

so I guess the only logical thing to do was an SFV beef rib throwdown

next up on my list: Bar B Q Bar in North Hollywood, aka the old Kansas City BBQ before it got super gentrified.

Well…they’re big, and they’re cheap - 6 gigantic ribs for $30.50. Sauce is better than Ribs USA I think, but a lot tougher and still no smoke flavor to speak of. I know they got smokers in in the back…but maybe it’s cuz it’s those automated smokers and not an OG black barreled wood smoker or whatever.

They were really meaty, and they scratched the itch, but these will probably not be in my regular rotation.

1 Like

I’ve been to Franklin.

do you get the sense they’re better or worse since the name change?
when they were kc bbq, i used to like i could drink a decent beer while waiting for my food.

the bbq was o.k. but i haven’t been back in a long while

i’m curious how long you waited in line and what they were out of when you finally got to the front.
i have never eaten at franklin. last time i was in austin, on a weekday when it was pouring rain, we
decided to drive by for shits and giggles.
at 9:30 a.m., the line took up the entired covered area – people trying to keep out of the downpour – you could line up in; approximately an hour or maybe
a little less long line.
they don’t open until 11 a.m.
i did enjoy the pbs show, though.

Eh, BBQ about the same all things considered except everything costs more to pay for the remodel. They’re a much better bar than they were before though, that’s for sure.

There’s only 1 reason for me to go there, and it’s because I could walk there.

I waited 4.5 hours. I enjoyed my time in line. Talked with a lot of locals, drank a bunch of beer, which all made for fun anticipation. No one complains about the line. And it’s significantly better than many of the other places I visited in the US.

They had everything when we got to order at 1. It was worth it for me because I specifically went to Austin to eat barbecue.

Stylistically, I’m more of a fan of Snow’s, but I couldn’t quibble with Franklin; the brisket and beef rib are great. The beef rib was one of the best pieces of barbecue that I’ve had and the brisket is still one of the best I’ve had.

3 Likes

The key to Franklin is ordering online. There is a minimum number of pounds you need to order, but you get to walk straight up and skip the line. The look of folks who waited in line for 4 hours when you walk in and out by them with your 5 pounds of smokey delightfulness is priceless. (That being said, there are a lot worse things one can do than sit in line and drink beer for 4 hours with a bunch of cool peeps on a lovely morning.)

It used to be the case that you had to email your order a month before you go there, within seconds of the orders for that upcoming month becoming available. They apparently have changed their online ordering system to make it a bit easier though.

That, or you could just wait a bit less than an hour in line and get La Barbecue, which is as good or better, depending on the day.

1 Like

obviously, the the correct answer is to do both.

2 Likes

Actually, the correct correct answer is do both and then get in the car and drive 45 minutes to Lockhart to hit Smitty’s, Black’s and Kreuz’s.

2 Likes

No love for Mueller?