Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- JULY 2017 -- BURGERS

I’ve got 2 locations near me. One is ok. The other is not so good. They use King’s Hawaiian rolls for their burgers and hot dogs.

1 Like

After our earlier discussions on the merits of the Silverton vs. Belcampo blend we decided to do some research at the dtla locale. :slightly_smiling_face:

Belcampo Burger - Thick patty, cheddar, carmelized onions, butter lettuce, house sauce

Fast Burger - Thin patty, american cheese, butter lettuce, tomato, onion, house sauce

Lamb Burger - Thick patty, black garlic aioli, onion sprouts

I had to get a closeup of those crazy onion sprouts. They are quite tasty.

I am definitely a humanely raised, organically fed champion. It’s how I shop for home. However, I tend to go more for the vegetarian fed over the organic when it comes to meat. It has more flavor. And I suspect grass-fed has an even “cleaner” flavor, which some prefer.

Lamb Burger - I rarely, if ever eat lamb (babies :slightly_frowning_face:), so was hoping for a little gamier flavor for my one-time foray.

Still, these are delicious burgers to be consumed again for sure! And I really appreciate their under-seasoning to let the meat shine.

Now I definitely want to try the Silverton blend soon to compare.

Side note: Their hand cut, skin-on fries are pretty good.

:hamburger: :fries:

10 Likes

I’m a shameless Hawaiian Roll lover. It probably added to my extreme enjoyment of the burger. Also, the place was dead (summer break), so they put care into the burger. Super friendly too.

The Corn Dog had a nice, big, juicy dog - salty, but hey, it’s a hotdog. My only complaint would be the coating was a little thin, which made it oily-er.

The Single Burger at Everson Royce Bar is supposedly made with Nancy Silverton’s Blend.

1 Like

You just decided tonight’s dinner plan.

1 Like

go before 7 pm for happy hour to get the Burger and fries for $10. otherwise its $10 for the burger only . i always order the Biscuits as well, best biscuits in Town.

Sweet! We’re on it.

Greenbird from Umami.

2 Likes

Is that made with the “impossible” burger? How is it?

Turkey. It’s the one I was telling you about before. I love it.

1 Like

Oh yes! I remember you telling me this. It’s the word ‘green’ in the name that keeps throwing me off. But the ‘green’ is in the cheese. :wink:

Such a fantastic burger. I love that place.

2 Likes

Just tried the Greenbird at Umami Santa Monica - nice burger!

2 Likes

I love that smoked eel dish!!!

1 Like

We just had it and loved it. :star_struck: Definitely my favorite of the burger journey.

It looks impossibly average but there is nothing average about it! The patty is incredible. There has got to be butter in there. I asked the friendly waitress if it was Silverton’s blend and she said “I think it’s 80/20.” Alright then. We forget not everyone thinks like Food Talkers. But Chef Molina was formerly head dude at Osteria Mozza, so…

We also had Fries, Hamachi Tartare Tostada, an Old-fashioned, and what my husband calls a “whiskey, fruity drink” and the $15 Wine Flight. Thank goodness for Lyft.

Adored the spot. Thanks for the nudge @Hungrydrunk.

2 Likes

It was wonderful! The way the soft cooked egg burst over the smoked eel, with crunch from the fennel, made for some memorable bites. The beet salad, on the other hand, was just OK.

1 Like

Awesome! it’s one of my favorite places to go for a simple meal, good drinks. I love the ambiance too.

Next time, definitely try the Biscuits, IMO GAME.CHANGER.

Just checked, it is Nancy SIlverton’s blend:

“But this is one of the best burgers in the entire city, and for good reason, starting with the meat. Molina is using the Nancy Silverton burger blend from Huntington Meats, which he says is an 80/20 ratio of prime chuck meat to fat. It’s seasoned well, then cooked until it’s just medium in the middle, with a nice meat crust around the edges. It gets topped with American cheese and dijonnaise, and that’s it: No tomato. No lettuce. Because when you have meat this good, cooked this well, it doesn’t need much else. 1936 E. 7th St., Los Angeles, (213) 335-6166, www.erbla.com.” - Jenn Harris

1 Like

Dog Haus uses a root beer batter which my kids do not like, but they will batter any sausage they sell. Also, they have happy hour from 3 to 6 where all sliders and fries/tots are $1̶.̶5̶0̶ $1.25

2 Likes

Hi @Hungrydrunk -

Ditto for us now too. The staff was really great too. The music inside was a little too loud. Imagine that in L.A. But we adore the back! We have a few bocce loving friends who would love it too.

I definitely want to try those Biscuits! Maybe next visit it will be the Burger, Chicken Thighs and Biscuits. The wine shop is supposed be pretty impressive too. I enjoyed my Flight of Rosés.

The Jenn Harris review is spot on. I was so crazy for the crusty meat edges that I took some of the bun off. My husband said that part reminded him of Fat Burger back in the day. But FB never had meat like that.

Curiously J Gold doesn’t mention the Burger in his review. He liked those Biscuits though. :grinning:

E.R.B / FTC Meet-Up?

2 Likes

Hi @WesSabi -

I didn’t notice the root beer batter. It could be that mine was too thin to pick-up the flavors. I wonder if customers could ask for a double dip. :slight_smile: Sweet about the HH $1.50 sliders and tots!

Thanks!