Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- MARCH 2016 -- Dumplings

i think i was at liangs when i saw this on the back of a prius.

1 Like

i’ve driven a 2 seater since 1997. i upgraded the sway bars and routinely take the marmion way curve on the 110 upwards of 75 mph when traffic permits as it i did last night coming home from the edison.

i do not advocate this as a means of motivating teenagers to drive.

That stretch of 110 connecting DTLA and Pasadena is like a mini F1 circuit in the heart of town; not many places for cops to hide out too :smiling_imp:

It was a 64 1/2 Ford Mustang with 5 different colors of paint and the heat vent had to be opened in the summer or the engine would overheat. Ironically, the other choice was a used Honda Accord. Or my Dad’s friend was willing to give me his VW beetle he had been using as a planter in his front yard. :joy::joy::joy:

FWIW it IS possible to be pulled over - the irony is that the guy that got pulled over was someone i’d passed on the right and he was actually trying to catch up to me when he got pulled over.

i started driving a bit more responsibly after that.

for a while.

R/O/C on 3rd & La Cienega. They just opened this location and don’t have a permanent sign yet. But it was stuffed w/dumpling eaters.

Unexpectedly great. We had the Chicken, Spicy Chicken, Pan Fried Veggie, Pork XLB & Red Bean Bun. Wrappings were light not gummy, fillings were tender & juicy, pan fried had great bite and the bean bun was sweet & warm. Sauces were delicious and the chili paste had the thick darkness I love. I’m trying to slow-my-row on pork, so loved the wide variety menu.

28 dumplings, 1 bun, 2 teas - less than $40 + tip. That turned hubby into a dumpling convert.

For some reason I’m still considered a new user, so am only allowed to post one picture. Here is the pork & spicy chicken.

1 Like

@TheCookie Thanks. The new user thing I think was 24 hours after 1st pic post? Or something like that. After that you can add as many as you want.

Thanks for responding. I figured something like that. But I’ve been posting for a couple months…hmmm.

Here’s the Pan Fried Veggie.

Myung Dong Kyoja was one of the first Korean places I ever ate many years ago. Always loved the mandoo. The chewy cold noodles are quite delicious, too there haha

I feel like I’ve never encountered much of anything that spicy in Korean food?.. What are the spicy dishes?

Maybe my spice tolerance is just super high?

I agree - Korean cuisine in general doesn’t seem super hot spicy, but it is spicy and much of it can be almost obscenely deep in chile. My wife is from Malaysia, so she is no stranger to spicy food. But having lived here for a while seems to have acclimated her to our great weather and lowered her tolerance to spicy food as a whole. Kimchi at Myung Dong Kyoja is one of the spicier versions I’ve tried.

a day late a dollar short - from MIAN:

what made these wontons in chili oil stand out was an underlying foundation of either five spice powder or star anise, slightly on the sweet side. it brought everything together in a way that made want to tongue the bowl afterwards.

2 Likes

2 months late. central asian (in this case, western armenian) dumlpings known as manti,

from the the su beoreg & monta factory in pasadena. (spelled that way so people will pronounce it properly).

the orders come in 2 sizes: at $8 and (i think) $14. with 40 in the $8 pan, that comes out to $.20 each for each dumpling made from a piece of dough measuring 2" x 2".

as they are best eaten hot and there is extremely limited seating., you can buy them completely, cooked, partly cooked or uncooked for you to take home. i got them baked to go. they are baked so that the top is browned

and then topped it with their tangy, garlic yogurt sauce before eating.

i liked them, though i wouldn’t necessarily give up other dumplings just to have these.

back in march the place got a review in the times you can reference here

1 Like

This is great. I was looking for something a little different to add to the repertoire - so to speak - during March DOTM.