Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- MARCH 2017 -- DUMPLINGS

Of course we are.

Okay then. If I have enough balls, I’ll make that my Stanley Cup menu, and get back to you on how well it goes over.

It’s only fitting that our moderator is the Michael Jordan of Food Geeks.

Thanks!

Even MJ missed a potential game-winning shot every once in a while. Our ipse is more like the Yasuhiro Yamashita of Food Geeks.

Yes, a much more appropriate analogy for FTC.

Chive & Shrimp Grilled Dumplings, from Golden Pouch Dim Sum (Ktown)… Quite good. You get to eat food in their converted Airstream, which is parked on premises. These dumplings were much better than their XLB.

5 Likes

$12.99 AYCE lunch at Fuji Buffet and Grill in Glendale. Pretty good for a buffet!

2 Likes

i was tempted to try the place and the XLB might have been the best item available from the dim sum selection, which is kinda like being the best sailor in the swiss navy.

Hi @ipsedixit,

For Naemandu Mandu, do you know if they moved? We were in K-Town over the weekend and I remembered your recommendation “inside Zion Market” so we stopped by. We combed the market and found 3 different little food stalls, but none of them had Mandu on the menu. :frowning:

We did see 1 stall that was closed (no menus posted)?

Thanks!

Hmm. I don’t believe so, although I haven’t been in a couple of months (at least).

It would be a sad day if they moved and didn’t leave a forwarding address, or if they just moved on.

Indeed, it is.

Replaced by something called Hyojadong Chicken

Hi @ipsedixit,

Aw darn! :frowning: I was hoping to try it. Thanks for the info.

Sigh.

Now I need another place to buy spicy chicken feet for the Mayweather-Mcgregor, ahem, “fight”.

1 Like

Happy National Dumpling Day!!!

(Boiled fish jiaozi, from Northern Cafe)

4 Likes

Did take out yesterday from Northern cafe

Had
Shrimp, Egg Chive Dumplings - excellent, fragrant
Cold Beef/Tendon appy - not bad
Lotus Appy - crunchy, tasty
Lamb with Cumin - excellent
Bok Choy wih garlic - fine
Chong Ching Spicy Chicken - it is not the SGV dish, no numb-spicy, but a few drops of…
Sichuan Pepper Essential Oil - Xanthoxylum alatum - 100% Pure
Will work wonders for it.

3 Likes

Sweet Northern bingeing… Also try their (cold display case) seaweed salad with garlic. It’s spectacular.

Totally forgot about this thread! Partner wanted Northern Cafe yesterday, so we went to the Westwood one. Boiled and pan-fried dumplings (boiled were excellent, pan-fried were oddly watery and a bit bland), lamb w/ cumin, and the cold sesame noodles (which tasted good but seemed to be missing some flavoring that I’m used to…).

the potstickers are really not good at Northern, but most boiled dumplings are fine

Luscious Dumplings is now open in Highland Park at Fig x Ave 58, close to the Gold Line.
Oops I mean Mason’s Dumpling Shop.

1 Like

Does anyone know what happened to Golden Pouch? Moved? Different name? Yelp says “permanently closed”. I was looking for something on this thread and came across these beauties.