Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- NOVEMBER 2016 -- THANKSGIVING/HARVEST

I hear you about wanting a cake stand collection, @TheCookie. If I had more room, I would buy this jadeite one in a heartbeat: http://www.shopterrain.com/milk-glass-serving/jadeite-cake-stand

1 Like

We are so on the same page. Those two are exactly what I would get. It is the season for giving… and receiving, hehehe.

1 Like

Oh, how funny. I want the ones they recommend from Cook’s Illustrated b/c I would use them to cut and frost cakes (which is very different from wanting a pretty one for presentation/photographing… hee, hee).

1 Like

I know, I know. I was thinking as I was having that little convo with MaladyNelson “This is such a girly moment.” :blush: Do you have a picture of the utilitarian cake stand?

2 Likes

Ah yes, totally different purposes, @paranoidgarliclover. I’m not really a baker, although I love cooking in general. It would be cool to split cake stands into a topic on its own. I’d love to see the ones you’re interested in.

Ha ha, I do love girly cake stands, @TheCookie!

1 Like

@MaladyNelson and @TheCookie

Here you go:

3 Likes

Thanksgiving in Lafayette Square

When my husband’s grandparents passed, his cousins bought their big Craftsman-style house. So it’s fitting that they always put on a big family Thanksgiving.

I think we said home cooking is okay on this one.

Okra Gumbo

Relishes, Cranberries and Ambrosia

Gotta’ have Ambrosia. Not me. But someone must, because it’s always there.

Ratatouille (of sorts) and Corn Pudding

Vegetarian Greens

I guess if you know how to cook them right you don’t need the smoked meats. Because these were delicious.

A Cabbage thing (?) and My Scalloped Potatoes au Gratin

Mashed Potatoes and Dressing

I particularly liked the dressing. It was moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, not too dense and had a medley of shrooms.

Candied Yams

I learned from my aunt to baste yams for good flavor and caramelization.

Mac & Cheese

Smoked Turkey and a Moist & Juicy Brined Turkey

Gotta’ Have Ham

Prime Rib and Horseradish

Even when you take a little of everything, it’s a lot.

The insanity continues…

Bundt Cake, Sweet Potato Pie, Peach Cobbler, Lemon Pound Cake & This Crumble thing that turned out to be Crustless Pumpkin Pie

We all formed an unbroken chain of hands and this nice man said a beautiful grace. Because obviously we have a lot to be thankful for.

Happy Holidays.

16 Likes

That is a beautiful meal. What an amazing assortment of food.

And I will definitely chat with you before I attempt scalloped potatoes again, yours look ideal. (I didn’t even know what they were called before you told me. I posted “potato gratin with cheese”.) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cath might correct you :slight_smile:. But I think it’s all the same. Also, some will say scalloped potatoes (less cheese) are different than potatoes au gratin. I took a scalloped potato recipe and upped the cheese. I’ll give it to you in What’s Cooking when you’re ready. It’s easy and you get a lot of oohs and ahhs.

Thanks!

1 Like

What a spread! How many people were at dinner???

2 Likes

I was trying to figure that out today. About 25-30 people, but not at one time. We like to call it “open house”. It’s not a traditional sit down at one time kind of thing. Once the food is out and grace is said it’s a free-for-all. Tables are set up in the dining room, living room, some eat in the kitchen or the den watching football. It’s funny. My husband and I both have small immediate families. But both have ridiculously huge extended families. And parties look like the United Nations. God bless America.

6 Likes

This is one of the greatest home spreads I have ever seen.

3 Likes

So this means I can crash the party and escape detection as an intruder??? Bwahahahahahaha.

3 Likes

well, you gotta subtract points for lack of pony keg and mirror full of jazz salt.
just sayin.

3 Likes

I tried this sandwich while I was out and about…and it was fantastic. Crunch of the bread, savory fresh turkey and stuffing, creamy aioli, and the tartness from the cranberries…I imagine it to be Ross’s Thanksgiving leftover sandwich from Friends.

Finally free from holiday prep work to share our efforts:
Herb-citrus roasted turkey with bacon blanket

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Sausage dressing

Corn casserole

Crostini platter - pesto, mozzarella, and roasted red peppers; harissa and mozzarella

Cheddar Bay biscuits

Not all of the meal…just the stuff I remembered to photograph before we had dinner.

12 Likes

Thanksgiving leftovers en croute. Ham, Ribeye Roast, stuffing, mashed potatoes and green beans wrapped in tubed crescent roll. May need to cross post in the drunk/stoned thread…

7 Likes

Awww… That’s a great compliment! The hosts would be thrilled. Thanks!

1 Like

Most definitely. You can take your pick. While this was goin’ on, my side of the fam’ was going just as hard at my cousins’ in OC. Talk about the U.N. They have the same meal, but you’re likely to find a table set with Shabu-shabu and a tray of musubi in the kitchen. And my cousin is a dessert freak: Porthos, Sweet Lady Jane, excellent pies. And shhh… they party! You don’t know what you’re going to find or who you’re going to see.

It’s a lot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. We’re thinking about escaping for Christmas.

Edit: Portos

1 Like

[quote=“linus, post:66, topic:4535”]
well, you gotta subtract points for lack of pony keg and mirror full of jazz salt.
[/quote]Wrong side of the family… wrong decade. What’s a “pony keg”?