Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- NOVEMBER 2016 -- THANKSGIVING/HARVEST

I was trying to figure that out today. About 25-30 people, but not at one time. We like to call it “open house”. It’s not a traditional sit down at one time kind of thing. Once the food is out and grace is said it’s a free-for-all. Tables are set up in the dining room, living room, some eat in the kitchen or the den watching football. It’s funny. My husband and I both have small immediate families. But both have ridiculously huge extended families. And parties look like the United Nations. God bless America.

6 Likes

This is one of the greatest home spreads I have ever seen.

3 Likes

So this means I can crash the party and escape detection as an intruder??? Bwahahahahahaha.

3 Likes

well, you gotta subtract points for lack of pony keg and mirror full of jazz salt.
just sayin.

3 Likes

I tried this sandwich while I was out and about…and it was fantastic. Crunch of the bread, savory fresh turkey and stuffing, creamy aioli, and the tartness from the cranberries…I imagine it to be Ross’s Thanksgiving leftover sandwich from Friends.

Finally free from holiday prep work to share our efforts:
Herb-citrus roasted turkey with bacon blanket

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Sausage dressing

Corn casserole

Crostini platter - pesto, mozzarella, and roasted red peppers; harissa and mozzarella

Cheddar Bay biscuits

Not all of the meal…just the stuff I remembered to photograph before we had dinner.

12 Likes

Thanksgiving leftovers en croute. Ham, Ribeye Roast, stuffing, mashed potatoes and green beans wrapped in tubed crescent roll. May need to cross post in the drunk/stoned thread…

7 Likes

Awww… That’s a great compliment! The hosts would be thrilled. Thanks!

1 Like

Most definitely. You can take your pick. While this was goin’ on, my side of the fam’ was going just as hard at my cousins’ in OC. Talk about the U.N. They have the same meal, but you’re likely to find a table set with Shabu-shabu and a tray of musubi in the kitchen. And my cousin is a dessert freak: Porthos, Sweet Lady Jane, excellent pies. And shhh… they party! You don’t know what you’re going to find or who you’re going to see.

It’s a lot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. We’re thinking about escaping for Christmas.

Edit: Portos

1 Like

[quote=“linus, post:66, topic:4535”]
well, you gotta subtract points for lack of pony keg and mirror full of jazz salt.
[/quote]Wrong side of the family… wrong decade. What’s a “pony keg”?

quarter barrel. smaller keg. though it sounds like a full one was more in order.
and a couple handles of rebel yell…

Your meal looks terrific @attran99. I love your choice of appetizer. And the cheddar biscuits :yum:. I never get tired of Thanksgiving.

1 Like

[quote=“JRSD, post:69, topic:4535”]
en croute
[/quote]The two greatest words in French culinary language.

1 Like

Thanks, @TheCookie! There was a fantastic charcuterie to go with it. The snacks helped tide people over for an hour while the turkey was resting and the other side dishes were cooking in the oven.
My sister actually made the Cheddar Bay biscuits using the Red Lobster mix we found at Costco. They baked off bigger and tasted better than the restaurant rendition. The biscuit aficionados in the house (myself included) were quite pleased.
Happy Holidays!

2 Likes

That’s great. You picked the perfect apps to provide something to nosh on without guests stuffing themselves.

Those cheddar biscuits looked just like Red Lobster’s. I almost commented. I did not know they sold the mix. We used to have a R.L. on Wilshire / La Cienega. It is now a Wells Fargo. Not a very tasty alternative. I miss those deadly, delicious biscuits.

Seems like you had a great Thanksgiving at home. Our cousin’s was great indeed. But sometimes I miss doing it at home… sometimes :grin:.

1 Like

Biscuit plus Honey Ham plus Greens

My new Thanksgiving sandwich. I don’t even know why this isn’t a thing. The sweet glazed ham with the braised greens (apple cider vinegar, red chilli flakes, homemade broth,garlic,onions,splash of apple juice) play off each other well. Maybe a little dijion or brown mustard.

3 Likes

I’ll have to try that at Easter. That’s our once-a-year ham bake.

1 Like

Gjelina Take Away puts greens in their breakfast sandwich. Takes it to another level. You and they are geniuses on separate tracks.

3 Likes

I thought this flavor was outstanding. My wife thought it was revolting.

1 Like

Clementine - Century City

Because man cannot live on fried chicken alone… not for long anyway. A very good salad w/a smart pairing of the lemon dressing. It added acidity to the starchy sweetness of the root vegetables.

Dessert - Cranberry Apple Crisp & Cranberry Walnut Cookie w/Brown Butter Icing

One of the things I like about Clementine’s quiches, crisps etc. is they bake them just enough, so they can be re-heated without drying-out. I should have heated this one longer (apples were a little crunchy). It is very tart and would be great w/vanilla ice cream. I usually get their perfect chocolate chip cookie or the snickerdoodle. But these cranberry-walnut cookies are my new favorite: sweet, salty, tart, a buttery-sweet glaze :heart_eyes:.

Thank you harvest month!

8 Likes