Dish of the Month (DoTM) – SEPTEMBER 2016 – THAI

Looks really great. What else do you like there?

Hi @wienermobile -

We’re thinking about making N + M in Weho our next stop. What is this dish you posted?

Thanks!

1 Like

Thai boxing chicken…enjoy!

1 Like

Ekkamai Thai is quite respectable and affordable.

Environs are not exactly festive, if that’s important.

1 Like

Oh, nice. I’ve driven by that place quite a bit but never stopped in. Thanks!

This place is not open on Monday and I’m sure First Lady Mochi & friends have made plans already. But I was reading Night + Market Song’s menu. Chef Kris’ folks started Talesai, which has been on Olympic in Bev Hills for years. It doesn’t have off-the-chain street fare like N + M. But it’s definitely a dinner with the girls type of place. Anyway, for future reference…

I thought talesai merged into n+m weho.

Ahhh… Maybe. That was a little confusing on the N+M bio. I’ll take Olympic home from work tomorrow and check it out.

Vilai Yenbamroong had a sister restaurant to Talesai called Chai’s Thai Cuisine in Oxnard. Sadly, they sold the restaurant, and it went downhill rapidly. It was too bad since it was my family’s go-to Thai restaurant.

1 Like

Ahhh… so much to learn on FTC. I’m thinking to wait until Wednesday to pass by Talesai Olympic. If it’s still open I might as well eat, since it is Thai month. I’m picking up my 6 yr old godson tomorrow. That’s a no go for Thai :fearful:.

1 Like

Looks like the talesai next door to n+m weho did turn into n+m.
But there’s another talesai in studio city.
And there’s a “talesai cafe” on Olympic

It’s a generational thing. Cool. I’m still going to take a detour to Talesai. Maybe do a first and second generation Thai report.

On second thought… I just checked out the menu you posted :confused:. It has dishes like “Kung Paw (sic) Chicken” and “Pad See You (sic)”. We’ll just do our generational report from grandma’s classics on the N+M menu :wink:.

Too late to be useful for you, but Si Laa on Robertson is excellent.

2 Likes

It looks nice

West Hollywood

Larb Tofu - Lime, soy sauce, rice powder, chili, cilantro, onion

Pork Toro - Grilled fatty pig neck w/northeastern chili dip (jaew) & side of coconut rice

I thought this would be a bacon-ish treat for my pork loving guy. It almost made it, but chewier. The tangy chili sauce was the bomb.

Khao Soi Neua - Chiang Mai dish w/noodles, homemade curry paste, braised hanger steak & tendon, topped w/pickled greens, red onions, cilantro, sprouts, chili jam

Our favorite. We took the waitress’ rec. Super tender beef & incredibly savory broth. It had the heat, but with their own flavors, much different than Love2Eat’s curry. Fixins’ already on top. Side bar: We scooped off part of the deadly looking chili jam.

Deep Fried Branzino (sam-rod) w/sweet chili sauce

I love deep fried whole fish, but not with sweet sauce… doused with the tangy chili sauce from the pork neck and life was good again.

This one’s for you @PorkyBelly

I nibbled on the cheeks. But this guy ate the whole thing, eyes and all.

Mango & Sticky Rice

Such a seemingly simple dish. But the hot, salty, sticky rice, sprinkled w/browned, crunchy rice and the juicy mango, drizzled w/condensed milk… Oh wow!

Mekhong Old Fashion & Daiquiri

My guy was not crazy about the Thai sugarcane whiskey, but I enjoyed my daiquiri very much.

We had no idea we’d experience some nostalgia. The blending of the 30 year old Talesai into Night + Market Weho has perfectly transitioned with the Sunset Blvd of the 80’s into the now.

After seeing the Mark Mahoney, Shamrock print, N+M will forever be my old man’s Thai spot

Thanks @nosh, for this, the sweet thread.

11 Likes

Great montage!

2 Likes

Nice report @TheCookie! :slight_smile:

You’ve turned into a one person wrecking crew going through Thai eateries this month! :smile: Good job!

How did you like Night+Market’s Larb compared to your favorites?

2 Likes

Great report @TheCookie, thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

What’s next jitlada?

2 Likes

Was this n+m song or n+m weho?