Dish of the Month (DoTM) – SEPTEMBER 2016 – THAI

The woman in the video takes time to specifically say Thai’s do not eat like other Asian people, but more like Westerners… so seems weird to keep that aspect for some reason.

depends what kinda Asians. Also, I don’t see her eating noodles.

True, she seemed very down on chopsticks though… it was a weird omission in the video. They should have discussed them more…

Forks and spoons are used like this in other Asian countries as well. My dad grew up in Burma and uses the fork to push his rice/meat onto the spoon, then uses the spoon to get the food to his mouth. It’s like that in Singapore and Malaysia too. I’ve seen it in India as well. You hold the fork in your left hand, and the spoon in the right hand.

I don’t know about the rudeness part, but you can’t eat curry or other liquidy/saucy items with a fork. That’s why one uses the spoon to scoop the food. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chopsticks are for noodles, both dry and in soup. You hold your spoon for your soup in your left hand, and your chopsticks in your right hand. Pick up noodles with the chopsticks, pop them in your mouth, and then scoop up some soup with the spoon and splurp that up too. Or pick up some noodles, put then in the spoon, then scoop up some soup and put the whole bit in your mouth. Same way one would eat ramen or Malaysian noodle soups like laksa and curry mee.

1 Like

I guess I get that, but why? Is there any reason not to simply use the fork for the noodles? Other than tradition I mean.

Because (from a utility perspective) chopsticks are far superior for this purpose?

2 Likes

Interesting. In what way? I like using chopsticks but a fork seems to grab more noodles easier. Is that the point?

apologies for the stock photo, but it would seem to me that doing the following is significantly easier with chopsticks, and basically mandatory for proper noodle eating.

2 Likes

Hmm, ok. I suppose I was imagining that spearing the pieces of met would be just as simple with a fork. I also typically enjoy “stacking” the materials of noodles, which seems easier with a fork. But if you’re supposed to just get one morsel + noodles, then it is true that chopsticks make the most sense. I just eat noodles like a heathen I suppose =P

Appreciate the illustration.

100% Agree.
Sorry Italy.

1 Like

I would like a visual representation of this supposed magic that cannot be accomplished with ease via chopsticks.

Noodles taste better when eaten this way as well. Slurp… slurp…

Hmmm… I always heard Thai restaurants provide chopsticks for Americans who assume Thai people eat with them. Therefore, I always ignored them. Now come to find they do serve a purpose… I think. I’m going to put this to a test. Because I have to admit, I do like twirling my noodles onto my fork with the aid of a big spoon. And yes I know, they probably don’t eat it that way in Italy either. What can I say? I grew up with a lot of Italian-Americans.

As a crazy old man once said, “chopsticks aren’t as random or as clumsy as a fork; an elegant utensil for a more civilized age.”

Or something along those lines.

1 Like

If they are so magical, why not use them for everything?

Funnily enough, I dined at Lukshon last night, which is the only restaurant I can think of that does embrace this philosophy, as chopsticks are the only utensil you receive as a diner with your place setting.

Why incorporate the fork at all? Why not use 2 spoons?

2 Likes

That is funny

Keep in mind that the British were in many of these Asian countries for years. The British soldiers and ex-pats set a Western style table with a fork, knife and spoon. The Asians adapted that place setting for their Asian food. If you’re eating a curry with rice, there’s no need for a knife, but you have a fork and spoon available. You don’t normally have 2 spoons.

1 Like

Are you for fucking real? I know you have eaten at many Chinese restaurants that don’t give silverware unless asked for. C’mon Man.

1 Like