Dishes of the Month -- November 2017: Comfort Food and Pie

They also get extra points for the ease in which one can get Asian style chicken nuggets fresh out of the fryer.

Places like Nijya and Mitsuwa have them in the refrigerated section - not ideal. Lots of izakaya and ramen joints have good to great versions but the dish is usually not meant to go or for a quick bite.

1 Like

It came to the attention of a poster (perhaps @J_L?) and then to FTC at large b/c of the beef noodle soup, IIRC.

2 Likes

Ohhh right. Thanks for the reminder – I’ve been meaning to try the beef noodle soup. Just didn’t realize the popcorn chicken itself had fallen into “avoid/skip it” territory.

I will fully admit I haven’t been reading the thread super closely (per my usual), but I don’t know if it’s “fallen” so much as it’s always been kind of down. I enjoy eating the popcorn chicken in the way I enjoyed eating “Nerds” candy as a kid. It’s kind of fun to eat something that doesn’t resemble anything you’d find in nature.

The braised pork rice there has always been phenomenal (just had it a few days ago - consistently good). The beef stew is solid too. I simply haven’t felt like ordering beef noodle soup recently (no craving it anywhere), but I’ll try it again if there are downhill reports from other FTCers.

so this is a bone marrow mac & cheese and it’s way better than it looks or sounds.

firstly the shape of the pasta is incredible… i have to find it… TROTTOLE

second the cheese is just right… third… the marrow shockingly mixes into the dish nicely and it works… but the braised beef that they add is really great… and it’s finished with some sort of jam for a very nice sweet kick… just outstanding dish really

The Recess Room way down south

3 Likes

That’s one of the few things I haven’t tried there. I’ll be correcting that omission on my next visit.

1 Like

have you tried that fare sous-vide chicken?

tartare was really good also… and that pineapple drink is legendary now

I always wanted to do the Pig Head at Recess Room. YOLO

1 Like

Not yet. Love the pineapple drink, though. Agreed on the tartare.

I’ve been trying to get a group together to try that. It might call for an FTC meetup…

2 Likes

I’d rather just go to playground with their corkage rules and lovely food

Cross-posting my report re the pumpkin pie at Gjusta.

I’m finding Gjusta’s pastry/bake stuff very hit$miss. So much so that I’ve stopped looking in the case. The bread is right up my alley though.

2 Likes

Yeah. IMO they sort of suck at pastry items. Their bread rocks my world, and that carrot cake is the best version I’ve ever had, though.

Strange, because the banana cream pie at Gjelina is incedieble. The version at Gjusta is entirely lackluster in comparison for some reason.

Chocolate haupia pie from King’s Hawaiian.

6 Likes

Thanksgiving dinner will be my thread contribution this month. And today I celebrated pie-for-breakfast day. I’m comfort fooded and pied out

The dessert spread
IMG_6963
Cranberry Apple Pie

Pumpkin cheesecake

Pecan pie

Pumpkin chocolate chip squares

Sampler plate number one

Dessert for breakfast today

9 Likes

Nice job @chinchi. :slight_smile: You must’ve put in many hours and it looks delicious.

I can’t take credit for this wonderful feast, though I likely put in several hours eating :laughing: It was the combined effort of two families and three generations. All I did was prepare the relish tray :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Turkey Club (both bacon and crisp turkey skin) w/ stuffing, gravy, and cranberry/apple sauce on a pretzel roll:

3 Likes

tasty food hainan/fried hainan chicken combo (DIY)

sun nong dan’s tang do ga ni tong with big hunks of tendon. seasoned to taste with sea salt, black pepper, scallions and kimchi juice.

3 Likes