Dizengoff--Amazing Pita and Hummus

About a year and a half ago, I discovered a new favorite place to eat in New York: Dizengoff. Since then, I’ve made it a mission to go every time I’m in New York. And I even finagled my way into a work trip to Philadelphia to try some of Michael Solomonov’s other places (Goldie’s was pretty damn great, but have yet to try Zahav).

This place is all about pita and hummus. It’s a simple menu with about five hummus bowls, ranging from the standard hummus with tehina to things like hummus with spinach and breadcrumbs, or hummus with ground lamb. The options change by the season. Usually with an order you get a bowl of silky, delicious hummus served with piping hot, charred-yet-soft homemade pita bread, and a side of israeli salad. You can add hot sauce at your liking; they have some excellent options.

This time, I ordered a hummus bowl with chicken, turmeric, and pistachio. I got a side of spicy harissa carrots instead of Israeli salad, because it’s winter in New York and to quote the person working there: “it’s hard to find good tomatoes right now.” The meal was incredible–so many perfect bites with texture and flavor contrasts galore. There are so many places from New York opening in LA. I’m sure some will be good. But I would trade them all for one Dizengoff. We don’t have anything even remotely approaching this.

Hummus with turmeric chicken, pistachio, pickled red onion, and herbs.

Fresh, delicious pita made on-site. This really is a big part of what sets it apart.

Harissa carrots with pickles. Actually very spicy. I liked this, but was not my favorite side I’ve had here. The standard Israeli salad is better, as are some of the other salatim I have had.

Pro Tip 1: One pita is enough, but you sometimes find yourself rationing it at the end of the bowl. An extra is just $1 more. It’s worth it.

Pro Tip 2: Order the second pita once you’re done with the first. That way it doesn’t cool down while you’re plowing through the first one.

3 Likes

This place is really a gem. I try to stop by every time in the city. I adore their twice cooked eggplants.

Yeah–I had an eggplant dish last time I was there, figure it was that. It was amazing. Zahav is really high on my list of places I’d love to eat at.

Not Zahav obviously, but have you been to Timna in the East Village? Or Nur in Flatiron?

I have not but both look great. Going to be back in the City shortly, adding em to the list!

Have to make it a point to check them out, always seems fairly deserted & I can’t resist the raw bar at the Lobster place.

Next time you’re there at Chelsea Mkt, try Very Fresh Noodles

1 Like

Hmmm don’t think I’ve ever seen a chinese place at the food court. Must be hidden away like the mariscos joint. Which part of the market is it located?

I saw this and considered it–might have to do a bang bang next time. Chelsea Market really is pretty awesome.

How is this place compared to say, Xi’an in the East Village?

As an Angeleno who just finished a two year stint in NYC, I can confidently say that Dizengoff is the one restaurant I wish I could transport to LA. The pita is absurdly good–as is the hummus.

Fair warning–I ate at Zahav within the last year and it did not reach the glorious heights of Dizengoff. The starter dishes, which are the most similar to those at Dizengoff, were far better than the mains.

That’s too bad–I’ve only heard raves about the lamb. Good to know.

It’s actually very near the (indoor) entrance to Los Mariscos, if memory serves. Here’s a map.

I’ve had (only) the non-meat options at both, and I prefer Xi’an. But not by much.

Noodles go to Very Fresh; seasoning and lamb go to Xi’an

I thought the cold skin noodles at Xi’an’s first location, under the Manhattan Bridge, were spectacular. Possibly because I’d never had anything quite like them before, possibly because I like being under bridges because I was a troll in a past life. Nothing I’ve had since - at Xi’an St. Marks or at Very Fresh - has lived up to that initial experience.

1 Like

Was that in their original location on 67 Bayard in Chinatown?

The lamb was devastatingly dry–though surely, given all the hype and national acclaim, I must have been quite unlucky.

It was in their first Manhattan location, 88 E B’way, which opened in 2009. That closed and became Taste of Northern China, which also closed. The Bayard St. location opened in 2011.

Right. Their 1st location overall was a stand in the downstairs Golden Mall in Flushing that the father ran & put pictures of Bourdain eating there all around to attract customers.Then they opened, with mom running the stand, in the long gone Prince St mall as a 2nd location. Then the son basically took over the business and opened several others, then the restaurant Biang.

Biang! closed about a year ago. I miss it.

Haeldaur, thanks for the report. I’ll have to try this place when I’m cheating on my low-carb diet. Just how good is that pita, compared to other places that make it fresh?