"Doggie" bags - do you get them

Yay, my sibling in crime! AND I consider if, like all leftovers, a “free” meal. It’s already been paid for or cooked.

No. And I find most leftover restaurant food doesn’t reheat well. Except fried rice or pizza. Maybe certain pastas.

I really find the re-heat-ability to be the same for restaurant and home. I even reheat rare steak and keep it rare. I don’t like to reheat chicken but rarely eat it out - except for wings…and there are seldom leftovers. I’m going to have to think about if there are things that don’t reheat well. Off the top of my head I don’t like chow fun as I think the noodles get gummy.

I also don’t want to dirty a pan to eat leftovers. :smirk:

1 Like

I thought of this while ‘preparing’ my dinner just now. Week old polenta with butter and cheese and some @nashwill Will Owen’s pork shoulder. MW’d. I have a rotten cold and this is so comforting.

I find leftovers better cold.

Examples please? I think my last night’s dinner would have been pretty nasty cold. Cold polenta and cold fatty pork? Yuckers. YMMV.

My personal likes: Pho is very good straight from of the fridge. And expertly fried food such as fish, zucchini sticks, and orange chicken. Pasta puttanesca is another. The boy eats cold lasagna.

No tacos, French fries or eggs.

Breakfast today. Want some? :wink:

1 Like

I’m curious if you have a MW?

Here’s an example of the kind of things I do with random bits of leftovers.

1 Like

Exactly! Whereas you could have snacked on those - which of course is fine - you made a real and good meal out of it. I laughingly call dishes like that “fusion.” Side note: Fish sauce really enhances SO many things.

Red Boat is an easy way to jack up the umami without necessarily adding a perceptible fishiness.

This was definitely fusion, since it could have passed for Italian except for the cilantro and peanuts, which with the fish sauce and chile flakes is something I think of as Thai or Xi’an noodles.

I have both Red Boat and, what’s the blue bottle, MegaChef?

Your combo sounds great. Do you keep peanuts on hand? I don’t. Do they stay fresh?

Peanuts are my default snack. They’re either fresh or we ran out.

1 Like

Pizza, pie, burgers, fried chicken (or roast chicken), meatloaf, Italian pastas, roast beef.

1 Like

I reheat pizza, burgers, meatloaf, pasta and sometimes roast beef.

That’s some very complicated re-purposing. Kudos.

Today, I cooked my leftover ceviche (No way am I eating raw shrimp that’s been sitting overnight) with chicken stock, and added some brown sugar and fish sauce to tame the intense tartness. The shrimp were kind of pasty from sitting overnight in the lime marinade, but it still came out great.

This might make a good thread.

1 Like

Of course. I’m not a barbarian. :slight_smile:

LOL. There are “barbarians” who don’t :smile:

I really don’t think those things reheat well. Especially a burger. Do you disassemble, reheat the bread, the beef, and then reassemble?

If I was actually going to reheat leftover burger, I’d let the burger come to room temp first, then chop the entire burger up, drizzle all of it with some Worcestershire sauce and/or Sriracha, throw on some diced onions, a couple cloves of roughly chopped garlic, then crack an egg over the entire thing, and then zap the whole thing in the microwave until the whites set.