Dominique Ansel opening up LA bakery and restaurant

They are quite delicious! I had almost forgotten about it.

The humor of the fact that ‘DKA’ also stands for diabetic ketoacidosis is not lost upon me… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer the DKA, bouchon’s is good but a little too sweet for me.

Dang, J_L - first you yawned this thread’s yum, now you’re boner-breaking - figuratively speaking of course. Sounds like someone hasn’t had his usual daily multi bang-bangs - culinarily speaking of course - not that the other kind isn’t great. I’d better move on…

2 Likes

I’m grouchy before my morning coffee…

My yawn comment earlier reflects my feeling that if Mr. Ansel wanted to market to the West Coast, he should have come to L.A. much earlier; struck “while the iron was hot”, as it were - back when the cronut was THE thing to have.

Getting a cautious ‘lay of the land’ is good when expanding your business, but after 2-3 years of planning, I’m not sure the new venture would be as successful as if he had opened a location here, say, 1-2 years back.

Just my pre-caffeinated thoughts…

1 Like

What are Cambodian donuts?

You should eat your breakfast before your morning coffee. It’s more civilized.

Thanks @Aesthete. I suppose you’re right. It’s not all bad.

Yes, the badge is for using all your allotted “likes” in one day or something like that. For disclosure sake; I was just catching up after being on vacation… but still.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Cambodian-owned donut shops and Chinese food

That’s true, free-range gluten is acceptable, and damn good (I admit to cheating with it myself occasionally).

Whoa, there’s a daily limit? What is the limit?? haha

1 Like

[quote=“J_L, post:40, topic:5071”]
if Mr. Ansel wanted to market to the West Coast, he should have come to L.A. much earlier; struck “while the iron was hot”, as it were - back when the cronut was THE thing to have.
[/quote]Yep

I think it’s 50. For this reason I haven’t looked at the 2016 Weekend Rundown since returning. I’ll be “liking” all over the place. It’s actually embarrassing. But I can’t help it; it’s how I’m built.

3 Likes

Wow, why is it capped at so few?

1 Like

I thought Dunkin’ was trying to capitalize on the nostalgia of East Coast transplants who miss their coffee. I never understood it…went on a business trip to CT years ago, and those folks swear by Dunkin’ Donuts coffee and doughnuts…I tried it and thought there wasn’t anything extraordinary about it.

2 Likes

DD makes a pretty good iced coffee at a very friendly price point. Very nice for those 80 degree 80% humidity days in Manhattan when you’re tempted to even pass up a cab without air conditioning during rush hour in Midtown.

1 Like

Good to know, @ipsedixit. I’ve never tried the iced coffee.

What’s funny is that Dunkin’ Donuts used to be in L.A. years ago from an L.A. times article I read (I think the 1990’s). They folded, and left. Then they come back now and people are freaking out over it. Weird.

East Coast transplants are freaking out over it because since the 90s LA became the cool city, and all of them started moving here.

A little ode to the Dunkin Iced Coffee.

Not gourmet by any means, but approachable and, ahem, budget friendly.

1 Like

I will endeavor to check it out if I ever find myself at one. Thanks!

1 Like