Downtown LA musings

Sixth + Mill Pizzeria & Bar - Arts District dtla

I didn’t expect this to be more than a brief somethin’ somethin’, to show we went to the restaurant and appreciated the recs. After all, it’s a food board and reciprocating is what we do. But there are a lot of good things about Sixth + Mill and it was a really nice time.

My peeps had various cocktails and I started with the Pietra Rossa Lambrusco - Lambrusco being another wine previously overlooked by me, due to subpar offerings. You’re right @robert, it would have gone well with all my dishes. :slight_smile: I’ve been burned by server wine suggestions before, but always feel it’s too much fuss to ask for a steward or somm just for one glass of wine. Thankfully our waiter, Philip, was knowledgeable. After discussion I sampled the Barbera d’Alba (acid, earth, minerals) and the Bibi Graetz Sangiovese (even, smooth, slight fruit, spice, acid) - I chose the Sangiovese. :blush:

Polpette / Beef, Pork Meatballs, Tomatoes, Mozzarella

The Friday traffic made getting downtown a little problematic. :unamused: By the time we got to the table the meatballs had been ordered and 2 had been cut into toddler friendly pieces. I’m not sure whether said toddler enjoyed them, but the grownups agreed the dish doesn’t compare to Pizzeria Mozza and definitely not Jon & Vinny’s scrumptious meatballs. But it’s a nice sauce especially w/crostini, and If you like a lighter, fresher, tomato sauce vs. a richer, long cooked, red sauce this might appeal to you, but the meatballs weren’t memorable.

u’ vroccolo / Fried Cauliflower, Parmigiana Sauce

No picture of the sauce - tasty bites, lightly fried w/a thin, creamy, parmesan sauce for dipping. :slight_smile:

Fett’unta / Toast, Mushrooms, Provolone, Reggiano

The bread (3 pieces) used for the fett’unta (toast & oil) was nice and lite, shrooms were springy, nice combo of cheeses. Tasty things on a crostini is normally my favorite way to eat, but I detected tarragon or something licorice-y in this, which is a me problem, I hate it, so…

Cacio e Pepe / Pecorino Romano, Parmesan, Pepper

First bite seemed too tart from the cheeses, but blended together it was just right and the 4 peppers made it nice and peppery. The spaghetti or bucatini in Cacio e Pepe dishes usually exceeds al dente, imo, but I’m coming to enjoy it very much. The Sangiovese was perfect. :blush:

Pasta al Forno / Meat Tomato Ragu, Béchamel, Mortadella, Caciocavello Cheese

I :heart: this. It really didn’t look very exciting when presented and the portion was small, but underneath and inside the tubes (rigatoni?) was this luscious, beefy gravy. I would like to have eaten more to get all the nuances of the dish, but it wasn’t mine. :relaxed: Next time!

Spaghetti all’Amatriciana (Special) / Guanciale (pork cheeks), Tomato, White Onions, Pecorino Romano, Cracked Black Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper

This dish named for the Italian town of Amatrice has a delicious sauce w/guanciale rendered in as a flavor enhancer rather than a component like a meat sauce. It has a kick from the red & black pepper, then finished w/pecorino. :blush:

Sorrentina / Gnocchi, Tomato, Burrata, Regiano

(internet photo) I had one bite of this. I don’t know if it was potato or not, but it wasn’t heavy or starchy and the sauce was nice and rich. My vegetarian loved it.

Also ordered, but not pictured was the Capricciosa Pizza (mozzarella, ham, shrooms, olives, artichokes). I wasn’t in the mood for pizza and only ate a bit of the crust, force fed to me by the gracious and helpful toddler. His mama, who ordered it, said it was just ok.

Chocolate, Almond Torta

Zeppoline / Pastry Cream, Amarena, Powdered Sugar

(internet photo) I just realized we ordered the Ricotta Cheescake w/Poached Pears & Hazelnut Praline, but got this. Oh well…

Affogato / Housemade Vanilla Gelato & Espresso

My husband loved his Affogato! A smooth, but strong, dark, oily roast w/sweet vanilla cream from the gelato. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Our starters were slightly above passable and imo the desserts were just passable. But where they shine is with the pasta dishes. I still have my local favorite and the Felix lovers (I haven’t been) might judge the pastas by those standards with Felix coming out on top. But I would definitely go to Sixth + Mill again!

This is a very bright online photo, but we found it to have a cozy, warm atmosphere in the evening. The aisles are a little cramped, but we had a great table.

This helped with the love…

5 Adults including 3 males who eat a lot!

The parking was $10, but we parked for free on the street at 6:30p. The sign says no street parking after 8p, but by 8:30p nobody had moved their cars and none had tickets, so…

8 Likes

That ring is pretty boss looking

2 Likes

My husband is going to love that you said that. He’s part Sicilian and proud of it. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for the report. I actually didn’t try any of the pastas on my visit, just one pizza, which we enjoyed very much. We got the cauliflower and eggplant starters which were just fine.

1 Like

Nice @DTLAeater.

Yah, pleasantly surprised at the good job they do with the pastas. Thanks for the rec. It’s a good central locale for us and the Whittier-ites. I also appreciate the wine recs from you and @beam. I can see why you like the producer of that particular Sangiovese. It was spot on. When I told the waiter what I was considering he rec’d it first.

P.S. Thanks for showing the Parmigiano Sauce - the visual helps. :slight_smile:

Charming, thoughtful, not contrived is what comes to mind when entering Woodspoon. It’s one of those curious DTLA restaurants that seem so not DTLA - more like a place you’d expect to find in a quaint, little village.

Thoughtful touches like naturally flavored water on each table - some get herbs such as rosemary or basil, some get fruit, ours had cinnamon sticks.

Sangria

They have a Cabernet Sauvignon w/Cinnamon & Berries, but our favorite is this Chardonnay, Passionfruit & Orange.

Grelhas Chicken, Green Aioli, Salsa, Farofa

I normally don’t order plain grilled chicken breast, but the smell as it passed by was too good. Our waitress said we could order it as an appetizer without entree sides. Okay! Perfectly seasoned, tender, juicy, nice char, it’s just :yum:

Chicken Pot Pie w/Hearts of Palm, Olives, Corn :hearts:

Winner, Winner Chicken Pot Pie Dinner! :medal_sports: Even better than remembered @Dommy. No photo of the filling because I was probably too busy eating it - savory chicken gravy, tender chicken, vegetables, perfectly flaky crust!

Picanha - Grilled Australian Wagyu, Fried Egg, Collard Greens, Salsa, Yucca Fries, Farofa

Look at that beefy texture… Look at it! Sooo delicious! :hearts:

Yucca Fries

Not as oomphy as potatoes but cooked perfectly crispy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Too full for dessert but they look really good.

Tips: Yelp consensus is avoid the seafood.

No reservations taken or needed but don’t let them sit you at the first table to the right, unless you like constantly opening doors that sometimes bang your chair - just something I witnessed.

If we’re going out to dinner I typically don’t eat much during the day… so I typically don’t have patience for pre-dinner cocktails at a nearby bar. But! Occasionally l opt for post-dinner nightcaps. Husband introduced me to District at The BLOC and Mixmaster, Tony Gonzales.

An interesting cocktail menu including a section called HISTORY with vintage & antique recipes listed with the year & city of creation.

Vieux Carré c.1937, New Orleans - Cognac, Sazerac Rye, Carpano Antica, Benedictine, Peychaud & Angostura Bitters

Smoked Under Glass Anyone?

Old Fashioned c.1803, New York - Rye Bourbon, Cognac, Bitters, Brandied Cherry

District Cosmopolitan circa Sex in the City (okay I added that part) - Beluga Noble Vodka, Aperol, Hibiscus-Cranberry-Coulis, Ginger, Lemon

See the glassy, un-uniformed, un-clouded ice cube? No? Well, they’re beauts and Señor Gonzales makes them.

Pretty with a Bubble

I didn’t order this and actually have no idea what it is but had to take a shot of him preparing it. The bubble smelled like strawberries, cotton candy & fairy dust. :hearts:

Tools of the Trade

Wish I had gotten a better shot of his arsenal because it’s as interesting as the cocktails.

Great date night!

Happy DTLA Musings!

11 Likes

If I am quite happy with frozen Marie Calendars Chicken Pot Pie (they are awesome!) I think I would lose my shit over the one at Woodspoon

4 Likes

Glad to see that woodspoon is still around and kickin haven’t been there in so long but it still looks good!

2 Likes

Glad to see Woodspoon is still around, will have to get there sometime. The last time I went was 10+ years ago because they were always running out of the pot pies.

3 Likes

It still does a really good business! Really worth a visit for the pie or their greens. YOM! We love to meet out of town guests there because as @TheCookie mentioned, the vibe kinda takes you away.

2 Likes

That’s funny @joy. I also read some complaints that they had gotten smaller for a while, but mine was a nice, satisfying portion. :yum:

I think they were $8 or 9 at the time and I remember initially thinking it was pricey and small (downtown was empty and this was one of the few restaurants) but I was unable to finish it because it was pretty rich.

My annoyance with the running out was really how much more effort it used to be. I remember I had my Palm Pilot, T-Mobile Sidekick 2, and a Thomas Guide. Eventually I put the number in my palm pilot and would call before I went, but one time I forgot to bring it. I then tried to find the number using the slow internet on the sidekick, but eventually decided it would be faster to use the Thomas Guide and navigate there. The owner is nice enough but she didn’t really get why I was so upset they were sold out at 1pm. Then there was another time I had the palm pilot but forgot my phone. Life is so much easier now.

3 Likes

LOL! Yes, it is. And I can see why the owner didn’t understand your plight. She seems like a free-spirit, hang loose, earthly problems don’t matter kinda’ gal. :unicorn: :rainbow: :butterfly: In a good way, though, lol.

3 Likes

Confession: Still using a Thomas Guide in 2020. #laughallyoulikeuntiltheEMPhits #everypagerfreshesinstantlyinhighdefinition

8 Likes

#fakenews

Not sure about the high definition thing…not being able to read the Thomas Guide was what pushed me over the edge to get reading glasses.

1 Like

Then until those glasses are on, you may also have trouble maximizing the full potential of the BookBook

1 Like

That’s funny…

Warrior: We had dinner for the first time at 10e (Middle Eastern restaurant in DTLA). I am glad 10e has survived this board’s death watch dating back to 2018, because it is a positive addition to DTLA. Every dish was tasty and displayed good care and competency in the preparation. I would say the food is on the same level as Carousel. Give 10e a try if you haven’t already.

Peony: I found the food slightly above average, but not impressive. The dishes were cooked right, but nothing special. My favorite tonight was the hummus dip, which tasted more umami-ish than other versions I’ve tasted. Good service and friendly staff.

2 Likes