Dragon Beaux

Oh no!!! Supposedly closed for a “few days.” Please. After I finally came to grips with the price… LOL

Dragon Beaux announced on their FB page that they have reopened.

According to local Chinese newspaper Sing Tao, on Monday afternoon 3 pm, one of the steamers in the kitchen malfunctioned and caused overheating of a nearby wall (the nails apparently) that caused some smoke. That triggered the sprinklers which required cleanup and switching out anti fire gear, as well as replacing some kitchen equipment/stovetops/steamers and making sure the gear doesn’t overheat. They are done with all this work and have reopened.

4 Likes

Well, we’re now officially fans :smile: What great food! And a great looking place. Broken up into smaller areas unlike so many of the “halls.” My photos sucked but I wouldn’t try to compete with what’s here. Thanks, PorkyBelly, for what I could remember of your recs. (My phone was low in charge and needed it for Muni tickets.) We had the pork belly and the scallop shiu mai and they were both terrific. We also had the chicken feet/paws and the eggplant stuffed with shrimp ‘paste.’ The last were the best of that item that we’ve ever had. There were discernible ‘chunks’ of shrimp and the portions were large. All the items/portions were large. We brought home five pieces of pork belly and one shui mai. Service couldn’t have been better.

Just a note. When I looked to make a res online I got a message that they couldn’t (for opening) but to call. Well, I thought that there was no way there would be an issue at 11AM on a Monday. Our Muni connection was too smooth so we arrived at 1035. And there were already about a dozen waiting. By the time they open it was probably 30. So make that res is my advice.

Ah, yes. Price. My frugal Scottish husband was pleased. It was $33 all in. We will definitely return. And I thank everyone who has raved about this.

6 Likes

Essential travel accessory:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07227VLK3

1 Like

Bless your heart (and I mean that in a good way)! It’s in my Amazon cart. I’m usually quite obsessed with a charged phone :slight_smile:

When it’s your map, calendar, to-do list, and ride …

Gotcha. It’s not my life but knowing that I wanted/needed to use the stored MUNI tickets…

glad you liked it. i’ll have to try that stuffed eggplant next time.

i don’t think they take reservations for dim sum, only dinner.

No, they do. A number of people we were waiting with had them. I just think they don’t do it online.

ETA: And I think you’ll like the eggplant.

Thank you for all the love, we are truly humbled to read all these positive comments. Your support gives us strength to keep getting better and better.

2 Likes

What is inside the glutinous pillow?

ground pig pillow stuffing

Excellent! That was what I was hoping would be in there. :fist_right::fist_left:

1 Like

drago beau is still my favo dim sum in san frisco and cali.

bbq pork bao

abalone tart

jumbo scallop shiu mai

stuffed eggplant

xlb

roasted pork belly

har gow

abalone, chicken sticky rice in lotus leaf

pan seared live spot prawns

purple yam bao

10 Likes

They do have the most modern menu around! At least they try to innovate or follow some of HK’s high end dim sum.

1 Like

Was up in the Bay Area to visit friends and just HAD to go visit after all these reports.

Right as we sat down, someone came by with a tray full of the green tea “golden sand” buns and the purple yam buns and asked if we wanted any. Um, yes!

I like this more than the straight-up steamed buns myself - really did not disappoint!

XO Spinach dumplings - the wrappers stuck to the serving plate, but the texture was exactly like Koi Palace, which is a good thing; might have been our favorite dumplings from that meal

Pea shoot dumpling

Mushroom bao - I thought the filling ratio was too low and would probably pass on these next time

Scallop shu mai - thought they were good, but not transcendant :slight_smile:

Pan seared black sesame mochi

Pan seared turnip cake

Five guys XLB - had this once at Koi Palace and didn’t think it was memorable; boy was I glad my dining partner got this - all extremely well executed, between the amount of soup and the chewy texture of the skin

Rainbow taro paste bao - these were awesome! I love taro, and each bite was steamy, chewy, sweet taro goodness

The leftovers :wink:

Crispy shrimp paste donut rice crepe roll - mixed feelings about this. You can see in the picture that only the left half of each roll actually had shrimp paste - those pieces were delicious, combining the soft shrimp paste, with some crunchiness from the donut, and the chewiness of the rice crepe; the other piece, to the right, however, did not have any paste, and it was too hard. Of these remaining pieces, we ate the left side and left the right side on the plate

Pork belly - this was the bomb, as @PorkyBelly mentioned!

Dragonwell tea (great that they have such a nice selection!)

All in all, I agree that this place is the best I’ve had in California, and to me is probably at the same level as Koi Palace. I really like all the different dishes you can’t get anywhere else.

However, I didn’t think it was heads and shoulders above the ones in SGV, and definitely is not in the same league as the best in HK (I liked Lung King Heen and Sun Tung Lok). Several of the dishes were served lukewarm, and the the execution was uneven (e.g., the rice crepe). But I’m still super psyched we have innovative dim sum without having to cross the pacific.

6 Likes

My thoughts exactly. But their siu yuk is exceptional though!

1 Like

Hmmm… I had a similar lack of shrimp paste recently too. Donut, wrapper, and savory sauce still tasted petty good.

I’d wondered the same. Why not eat it anyway? Or send it back?

Article by @chandavkl first posted by @Artzlin on ho.