Dry aged steaks - what are your latest go to butchers?

robert, is this what I should be looking for?

+1 for Flannery. Super skilled butchers/agers, never been disappointed.

Youā€™ll see their name on menus around LA and SF if you look for that sort of thing.

Can you get unbleached tripe in the USA? I would think not. I assume bleaching is required by the FDA. I have a Serbian friend who said that when they bought tripe in Serbia, you had to clean the heck out of it and doesnā€™t believe me when I say that you donā€™t need to clean the tripe you by in the US. Well, at least I donā€™t clean the tripe I buy here. But Iā€™m a filthy bugger :wink:

Iā€™ve had unbleached tripe. Iā€™m not sure what alternative methods the USDA allows for cleaning it.

I stand corrected! I will now rinse my bleached tripe! Though I have never tasted or smelled any chlorine when I make the only dish Iā€™ve made with tripe, trippa alla romana. Maybe because I pressure cook it first, which is similar to the parboil that Spruce Eats recommends.

3 Likes

And Iā€™ve only made menudo which also has a ton of flavor going on.

1 Like

My husband isnā€™t a fan, so I havenā€™t made, but Iā€™d like to. I love menudo!

So he eats tripe in other dishes?

Heā€™d never order it in a restaurant, but Iā€™ve found two dishes that he likes it in. This one, and the cold tripe from Guyi. I suspect if I made menudo from scratch, heā€™d like it. He wasnā€™t super adventurous as an eater before we met. He was an adventurous traveler though, hiking the mosquito coast eating barely edible, old beans and working in the amazon where he ate rodents, etc. Definitely out adventures me in that regard.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve finally gotten reasonably good at not judging people who travel but arenā€™t adventuresome eaters. Sounds like heā€™s had some great ā€˜meals.ā€™ When in Thailand, we ate some rat.

1 Like

I havenā€™t been to Thailand myself but he worked there on the border with Burma, helping refugees. The spider stories he tells :grimacing:

I found that almost everything he says he doesnā€™t like, he does once he eats it. One trip to France, he kept refusing the bone marrow that came with this beautiful steak for two at what become our fave place in Paris (sadly, closed now). Then we had lunch at Le Grand Colbert and he was eating his duck confit and marveling at the best mushrooms he had ever tasted. He gave me a taste and I said, thatā€™s bone marrow! After that, he has never refused bone marrow.

He came home from the butchershop the other day with an additional item - marrow bones. So I made this for breakfast.

6 Likes

OMG, if you ever divorce him, will you marry me?!?!?!? I LOVE bone marrow.

:exploding_head: biscuits and gravy with bone marrow?!? :exploding_head::scream::exploding_head:

1 Like

Now doesnā€™t that look great?!?!?!

1 Like

I told my husband I got my first proposal on FTC. I wonder if there is a badge for that! :wink:

1 Like

There were no biscuits. That is hash browns under that gravy. If I pre-boil the potatoes the night before (or even a week earlier) they brown very quickly.

Maybe next time, weā€™ll do biscuits!

1 Like

Still sounds delicious to me!

1 Like

If thereā€™s not there should be. To be honest with you, I HAVE proposed to others for similar reasons :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d like to revive this thread since dry aging seems to be continuing to gain momentum. Iā€™m in Woodland Hills and the places out here that Iā€™ve discovered dry age are Whole Food Tarzana, Bristol Farms, and Jimā€™s Fallbrook Market, though Jimā€™s only does 2-3 lbs tomahawks, which is more than I need (cooking for 2). Prefer boneless ribeye or NY strip. Anyone know of any other dry aging going on in the SFV and West Valley besides the places listed in this thread?

Iā€™ll defer to the locals on latest retail options.

On the mail order front, Iā€™ve had good success with Pat LaFrieda Home Delivery ā€“ PAT LAFRIEDA HOME DELIVERY. You can customize thickness and aging period.

2 Likes