E.P. & L.P. - West Hollywood

Ha, good eye.

We’re going to dinner with our son and nephews (20 somethings) tomorrow. We were thinking of E.P. & L.P. I called to see if they’ll do tofu substitutions for our vegetarian eater. Both the reservation & the kitchen lines go to voicemail :smirk:.

Any suggestions in the West Hollywood area or central to Miracle Mile and the Valley? They’re coming from West Hills, so I want to spare them driving too far east.

Thanks!

How about night + market?

1 Like

Definitely a thought. I can’t remember. Is everything spicy?

If it’s anything like Night Market Song then no. They’ve hanged from making spicy Thai to white people Thai. But maybe they’re keeping it more real in the less popular WeHo location…

I don’t think EPLP makes substitutions btw. But hey have a vegetarian curry that is incrdibly good. I believe they make the best curry in the city. The only comparable curry Jve personally had was at Langbaan in Portland.

I need to go back though because they put khao soi on the menu.

You need to get to Bangkok my friend.

Sure, but seems kinda far to go if you just want good curry on a whim and you live in SoCal.

Or idk if you’re saying the curries/food sucks at Langbaan and EPLP?

We’re going to Wolf. EP & LP didn’t call back. I figure if our peeps are willing to come this far for a meal, what’s a couple miles more? I’ll get to try those potatoes :blush:. Thanks for the tips!

Aoc could be another possibility

2 Likes

I don’t know if I can get a res for 6 tomorrow eve. But for 20 something guys would you recommend Wolf or A.O.C.? Although I noticed their prices went up, Wolf might be easier on the wallet.

Wolf will be fun and the food is pretty good

1 Like

I saw Chef Louie yesterday, I’ll let him know.

1 Like

Oh thanks. Yeah … It would have been fun for the guys I think. I called at least 3 times yesterday eve on the reservation line and the kitchen/takeout line. Nada. And no call back. I figure they don’t need the business… right now.

Great. I’ve been wanting to check them out for a while. You guys renewed my interest on @Nemroz’s Wolf thread. We’re going for dinner, but I think their brunch is on a few “best of” lists - good chicken & waffles.

Sorry for going off-topic. This could have been a continuation of the E.P. & L.P. thread. I’ll have to move on over to the Wolf thread :relaxed:.

It looks like Wolf only has vegetarian “snacks” and “sides”, aoc has more options for the non-meat eaters

Good point @PorkyBelly. I just called. They said they can do the risotto without the pancetta, also other modifications. But I think @Nemroz wrote it was her/his least favorite dish. Argh! Dietary restrictions are such a pain in the ass when eating out.

I just checked the A.O.C. menu. It does look great. The vegetarian has been studying and working so hard, plus he kitty sat for us over the holidays. Maybe that’s where we’ll take just him for a special dinner I’ve been wanting to do. I’ve already rounded everyone up for Wolf tonight and don’t feel like changing :wink:.

BTW. Just got a call back from E.P. & L.P. When I told her what happened, she apologized and said they were really busy. I’m happy for them, but I decided to keep the Wolf res. We’ll try to do them another time.

4 Likes

Recently ate here for a work meeting, so didn’t take photos.

Some things work well, like the kakoda, which has great fish quality and a delightfully zippy, sweet coconut milk sauce. The queen scallops were also grilled pretty nicely, and the kombu butter gave them a unique flavor.

The lamb neck cups were ok, I don’t have a ton of experience with lamb neck dishes but I thought the preparation at Bestia was better, more tender, juicy, less ashy char. However, the portion for $18 is pretty generous, almost the same as Bestia’s $31 portion.

Their khao soi was not really anything like khao soi that I’ve ever had. Seems like a kind of weak yellow curry noodle without much heat. Good chicken leg in it, but overall failure for me.

Duck glory had barely any duck in it, and I think Ruen Pair does a better morning glory overall for about half the price, but it was fine.

We had some kind of Vietnamese kind of crab noodle thing with vermicelli that I can’t recall the name of at the moment. It was ok, but the noodles were so limp mushy it was somewhat offputting for me. The crab wasn’t super noticeable in it either. I didn’t’ get it as a dish.

Their wood-grilled mushrooms were really nice, fairly simple dish but for $10 the assortment of mushrooms that were nicely grilled and lightly dressed with basil/soy/chili was nice.

Drinks and wine list are really nice, though. First class cocktails, and some fairly marked up Australian wines, which are hard to come by. I forget the exact name of the bottle, but we had a wonderful orange that is not easy to come by in the states, and it was only marked up around 2x from retail.

This place is clubby/scene-y as heck, with a line that stretches out the door further than that Howlin’ Ray’s place for access to the rooftop. I assume celebs must be up there on the reg or something. The place also seems to function as a kind of makeshift Australian embassy.

Overall, hard to tell if I could come here on my own, but maybe we had the wrong dishes.

If being able to drink great cocktails alongside of adeptly prepared Asian food is worth the markup then it could be a worthwhile place for people to check out.

2 Likes

The main reason to eat at EP LP is to have some decent food and get easy admission to the roof top so you can co-mingle with other singles in the 20’s and 30’s age range. Obviously this applies only to a small percentage of our membership here on FTC, ahem @Aesthete. Good place to take a date in that age range as well. Black Thai optional is one of the great cocktails at the restaurant, but sadly those cocktails are not available on the roof.

This weekend is one of the warmest weekends this year, so you can be sure the roof top will be packed tonight.

1 Like

Where is @Aesthete anyway? Did he get sent to his room…

2 Likes