Easy and quick eats in the Carlsbad/Oceanside area

Had a (foodwise) pretty uneventful trip to Carlsbad. Tried that Windmill food hall and was pretty underwhelmed. Chopped BBQ brisket was drowned in sweet sauce and pizza took 30 minutes with the mushrooms having a little herbal flavor that overwhelmed it. Rosemary I think) and a really burnt crust. My wife enjoyed the pad Thai. Best item was the corn fritter from the chicken tender place, had a sweet and slight spice combo that hit the spot.

Pellys had solid crab cakes, grilled fish and chowder as usual.

Best meal was at liberty public market where Latin Chef Peruvian set up shop. Great anticouchos that went perfect with a rye IPA I got at Bottlecraft.

We tried Windmill farms pre-COVID and it was pretty bad. Haven’t been back. We’ve had better luck at Liberty public market although some clunkers there too. Next time you’re in Carlsbad maybe check out Vista which is still pretty close if you’re not wanting to travel far.

Since we were mostly avoiding dine in I decided to concentrate on convenience. Actually forgot that we did take out from Buena Forchetta that did not travel well.

1 Like

It’s been a number of years since we’ve stayed in the area to take the little ones to Legoland. But on my list of places I’ve booked marked in case we stay in the area (some repeats from other posters)
Jeune et Jolie
Pure Brewery
Campfire
Richard Blais restaurant at the Aviara
URBN

Del Mar isn’t too far away and has a lot of good options.

2 Likes

Your list is really solid. Jeune et Jolie hs received national attention. They lost their opening chef (needed a better work/balance life with the kids) but the new chef is just as good and the old chef is still doing menu development for them.

Wench and Rodent in O’side is really good for vrey fresh fish, a commitment to sustainability and wild, crazy and creative sushi. They have a sister restaurant - the name of which I’m drawing a blank on right now - that is entirely plant based, totally local, and almost entirely waste free. I haven’t been to it, but I understand it is also quite good and that their efforts at being completely local, sustainable and waste free are remarkably successful

1 Like

Probably one of the more underrated options in Liberty Station. Latin Chef was a fixture in Pacific Beach for many years. They just keep doing what they’ve always done and kind of ignore, or fly under, the buzz that is the LS food court.

Q’ero in Encinitas, and the one off the freeway in Luecadia, is also very good for Peruvian. I’ve not been disappointed at either location. Definitely more upscale than the Latin Chef.

I can’t remember if I got tipped off to the PB location from the old board or @KirkK blog but loved it and was glad to see them.

1 Like

Yeah, Latin Chef was a popular choice on the old board

1 Like