Eataly - Century City

I would say it’s a decent value for what you are getting. Pretty high quality stuff that is harder to find at most places. The stuff in the picture I took above came out to like $25. We were thrilled about the produce prices since it’s hard for us to get to the better Farmers Markets nowadays. it’s not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but on par or at times even better than the high end stores like Whole Foods or Urban Raddish. But if you are there to get stuff you can get pretty decently at lets say a Cost Plus… Then head over to Cost Plus…

–Dommy!

Great stuff. Available at Mozza to go and Marcels at The Original Farmers Market.

–Dommy!

I’m gonna have to try that one!

Popped by Eataly late this afternoon.

They had huge trays of uni in the fish section, freshly caught in Baja. I think the trays were $69 and if I were having a dinner party, I definitely would have scooped up a tray. They also had very nice looking whole sardines.

For anyone interested, the counter guy gave me the phone number of the manager of the fish counter (616 821 7509) and said I could call or text to see what was in stock and to give special requests (like for more of that amazing New Zealand tarakihi fish).

Since a planned dinner engagement had fallen through, I headed over to Il Pesce around 5:20 p.m. for an early dinner. Michael Cimarusti was just leaving (I had seen him earlier at the counter prepping). Even that early, it was a bit of a chore getting seated at the restaurant. Give your name (which apparently you are not allowed to do until precisely 5:15 p.m.) and then wait for a text. I didn’t get seated until 5:45 p.m. even though the bar was almost completely empty while I waited. They still seem to be working out the kinks and service was very choppy with a very long interval between crudo and main course.

For crudo, I had to order the uni (from Santa Barbara), having spied those huge trays of uni at the fish counter. The uni was sweet and delicious. For the main, I ordered Bluenose, which was very good, and fagioli gratinati. However, instead of the fagioli, they brought me spinach, announcing they were out of fagioli (at 6:20 p.m.?).

It took forever to get my check, but they charged me for the spinach and comped the Bluenose. It also took forever for them to pick up my credit card, but it was hard to feel churlish when they had just comped my entree.

By the time I left, there were the usual long lines to get into the pasta restaurant.

Even though as a general rule I am carb-phobic, I picked up a bombolini on my way out. Ate it at home for dessert. It was okay, but I didn’t think it was worth the calories or the carbs.

2 Likes

Okay. I think I have a reason to go to this shitshow.

I mean, there is no way the DofA would approve the full on artisanally produced stuff, but a neither will take what he can get.

That is a great fish hookup. (see what I did there?)

7 Likes

Did you do it on porpoise?

9 Likes

Nah, it was a fluke.

5 Likes

I am floundering in searching for a reply to that.

4 Likes

Why? There’s a tuna options.

5 Likes

when you’re done with the fish puns let minnow

10 Likes

This is "uni"versity-level humor going on right here.

This is turning into a crappie thread

2 Likes

(edited out) Oh, never mind, I’m no good at word play!

Then perch your wrasse over there walleye kick it into turbot.

4 Likes

Me neither. Maybe we should just clam up.

5 Likes

this thread shucks.

4 Likes

It’s starting to. Seriously guys, this is starting to make me feel eel.

4 Likes

12 Likes

When keepin’ it reel goes wrong.

2 Likes