Eataly - Wagyu boneless ribeye

I ended up not being home for dinner Friday or Saturday so the Great Wagyu Ribeye Experiment had to wait until tonight.

The raw materials:

Followed the Serious Eats reverse sear instructions and here are the [almost] final results:

image image

I was aiming for medium rare (out of the oven at 115’) but definitely ended up closer to rare. So I put the middle slices back in the hot grill pan for about 30 seconds on each side and was very pleased with the outcome.

Definitely the best steak I’ve ever made at home. Beefy, tender but not mushy, and not at all excessively fatty which has sometimes been my experience with Wagyu in restaurants. And I shall call my technique the reverse double sear.

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions and moral support!

7 Likes

Nice! It has such great marbling prior to cooking…such a lovely piece of steak. Your reverse sear was so nice, too!

1 Like

This is great info. Thanks.

We like rare so ‘pull’ at 117 (what a silly #!)

Have you tried the Magnus Nilsson method where you move keep the steak moving on the pan? I actually like this method the best where I got a great crust in addition to the butter on the pan still being beurre noisette, so I can use it as a sauce, rather than black if I cook it the regular way.

So interesting you mention that. I’m more of a Francis Mallmann acolyte, ascribing to his notion of NOT moving the meat from the point of contact with the hot surface until much later.

1 Like

I used to use that method too but I get a larger temp gradient with it, the pan gets smoky like crazy, and the butter is rendered unusable after cooking. Interesting note is that the Magnus Nilsson method takes longer to cook but comes out with less temp gradient!

Interesting. Serious Eats says take it out of the oven at 115 for medium rare and 105 for rare (which sounds really low to me).

Heston Blumenthal offers his 2 quid in this video. The thread drift is dangerously close to the Home Cooking Board at this point…

1 Like

BURN!

1 Like

3q6se5

This is a 1.25” ribeye I did with reverse sear on our gas grill. At around 118° I Top with some butter and finish , on the hot side of the grill, for less than one minute a side. It ends up between 120° and 125°. To me that’s medium rare. image

7 Likes

Very late to this post, but we bought six of the Eataly/SRF Wagyu Kobe’s. Not disgusting at all. 90 second sear all sides on cast iron. Fabulous. Which I had bought more. Butchers at Eataly are great.

4 Likes

Its that time of year again. Godspeed friends.

4 Likes