Eater: ‘Lucky Peach’ Will Likely Fold in May

Hey @ElsieDee!

I get it. Thanks.

I do check out listicles. They’re helpful when choosing a place for group dinners (usually my task), a specific food or even doing DoTM research. Yes, some sites are better than others. But no way they compare to magazines! They’re a handy tool, that’s it. I rarely look at Jonathan Gold’s 101 when it first comes out, but it’s a great go-to when looking for a restaurant.

Yeah, I wrote my mag reading is relegated to hair appts; but I do spend considerable time in that chair :wink:… good reading time. A listicle cannot replace the happiness that is reading a good magazine.

It is a bummer that newspapers, magazines and some online sites are failing or selling-out. We saw that with Chowhound. I do still have a couple of subscriptions, and paid when I hit the LAT paywall. But we need to get our minds around the fact that papers & mags are not going to survive. I have to wonder if Lucky Peach had focused on creating a great online magazine they wouldn’t be folding. Don’t attack me folks; I love the actual magazine. I also dig the content on the site, but as others have written, there are definite navigation problems.

P.S. That was funny what you wrote
about some lists being designed to “stir up controversy”. That’s how my husband feels when Rolling Stone puts out its “best of” lists.

Thanks for the knowledge! What to do?!!

1 Like