Elevated, Casual Filipino Food at Sari Sari Store (Grand Central Market) - [Thoughts + Pics]

@Chowseeker1999 One good takeaway from the experience was that the staff was incredibly nice. I sat at the counter and watched the kitchen hustle, and chatted with the folks working the dessert station. That’s how I learned about their “sunshine” eggs. The Halo-Halo looked fantastic and everyone kept saying to pie was out-of-this-world good…but I’m not a coconut fan and there wasn’t enough time for dessert.

Are you Jonathan Gold?

You got me. I am really Jonathan Gold. I just pretend to be a GenX Indian woman here so no one figures it out. :wink:

I really don’t understand the “put an egg on it and it’ll automatically be better” trend. Sure, add an egg when it will truly elevate the dish, but it seems like a lot of places are putting them on things that don’t really need them, like a lot of salads. I don’t need a fried egg on my Caesar, TYVM.

I was fooled. :slight_smile:

most of the bowls at Sari Sari store are considered breakfast/brunch type food, so it usually comes with an egg. its usually “meat/protein” with eggs and rice (fried rice/garlic rice).

i’m sure you can request it without eggs.

Haha… I actually have had (tasted) the Sisig Fried Rice at Sari Sari Store. You’re right, it was much better than the underwhelming Lechon Manok (roasted chix). I wasn’t in a food mood that day, but will definitely go again and try some of the other dishes you posted. They’re trying to use elevated ingredients, plus we don’t have enough Filipino spots around, so…

Hi @TheCookie,

Ah nice! Did you like the Sisig Fried Rice overall? :slight_smile: Definitely give their Buko Pie (Coconut) a try and their Housemade Spam Rice a try if it’s on the menu.

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Well, I definitely liked it better than my own selection (Lechon Manok). As said, I wasn’t in a food mood - hot day, flies, can’t remember, but possibly hungover. But my overall impression was the couple of dishes we ordered were not homey or soulful. I’m not an expert, but I think of Filipino dishes as comforting, soulful.

Thanks to you, intrepid warrior, next time there I will go straight to their stall and give it another try.

P.S. I :heart: Coconut Pie.

Nice to see you back, @TheCookie!

Oh sweet… Thanks! After 6 months and 5 temporary locations… Yes 5, we are finally home. Lots of unpacking though.

I just had the Sisig fried rice today. I thought it was on the bland side but still good. It came to life with some of the sauces on the side. I strongly prefer the bowls at Ricebar based on my first visit.

Hah… I was thinking as we were discussing, that I will try more sauces next time.

Interesting, I had the opposite reaction. But it’s been a while since I hit Ricebar.

Lechon Kawali or Sisig?
Thoughts?

Hi @frommtron,

I haven’t tried the Lechon Kawali yet (did they permanently add it to the menu now?), but if I get a chance this week, I’ll give you my thoughts. :slight_smile:

The Lechon Kawali was a special. I went with the sisig on a coin flip.
Doctoring with the vinegar, patis, and sriracha was necessary, but the end results were quite tasty.
I also got an avocado slush which was exactly how I would make it at home. Simple but just the right amount of condensed milk.
I didn’t regret not getting a “green” falafel wrap from Madcapra and that’s a big deal for me.
For GCM, it’s a great option!