Enter The Dragon - Striving for the Pinnacle of Dim Sum Goodness! Dragon Beaux [Thoughts + Pics]

Had a last minute change of plans and ended up getting dragged to China Live instead. I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Highlights were the Cha Siu Pork Dutch Crunch Buns, which were excellent, and the Beef Noodle Soup, which was very good.

Gonna take another shot at Dragon Beaux on Monday, probably for lunch.

Thank you all for all the rave. We are truly blessed with all the kind words from all of you. We will continue to get better and better. Pleas try our new squid ink fried rice as well, recently added to the menu, one of my new favorites.

8 Likes

Dropping by for a quick visit later this week (breakfast I plan on Devils Teeth for breakfast sandwich and cinnamon roll and coffee at Andytown)

1007 Jumbo Scallop Shiu Mai

1210 Pan Seared Daikon Cake with XO Sauce

1310 Crispy Shrimp Paste Donut Rice Crepe Roll

1503 Steamed Egg Yolk Lava Bun

1764 Gold and Silver Fried Rice or 1756 Egg White Fried Rice with Dry Scallops

1505 Baked BBQ Pork Bun

This is what I plan to order. Am I missing anything?

@beefnoguy can you recommend a premium tea?

1 Like

If it must be from the premium tea selection, Iā€™d probably go for an Iron Goddess (up to you whether you prefer a lighter subtler tea or stronger/heavier). Though Iron Goddess (stronger) I associate with Kung Fu Tea served to close a meal of Cantonese Chiu Chow, kind of like houjicha for washoku.

Though Iā€™m more of a traditionalistā€¦since this is HK Canto style dim sum, Pu-Er of any kind is my go to if I were in HK, though I may splurge on a higher quality one. Otherwise try a blend, like Chrysanthemum and Pu-Er (very classic), or Chrysanthemum and Shou Mei. The Chrysanthemum adds really good aroma and mellows out some of the bitterness and is easier to drink. With Pu-Er it gets super dark quickly so unless you are not caffeine sensitive get that pot of hot water to dilute it to your liking. In this case, the cheaper blend of tea will go a longer way.

One of my favorite items of late at Andytown is the sea salt Guittard chocolate cookie. Quite good with the original Plover. Drink that dine in.

Hope you make it to Tak Kee Lee too either for breakfast noodles or try the lemongrass chicken wings rice plate (add a sunny fried egg on top to make it complete) and maybe an iced lemon coffee or just a hot yeen yeung with condensed milk. Next door to it and across the street are two new HK cafe type places but do not be distracted by them.

2 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

Yeah I might skip out on Devils Teeth in favor of Tak Kee Lee

I am thinking breakfast noodles with sacha beef, fried egg, and lettuce with iced lemon tea.

Thank you for the tea recs.

Abalone Tart and Roasted Pork! Will keep these in mind.

I wonder if I should visit Ming Kee again for what is imo the best damn HK roasties

1 Like

My favorite combo at Tak Kee Lee:

Sunny fried egg, pork strips with pickled mustard greens, pork chop or spam with instant noodles. You can order mai fun/rice noodles if you want something lighter. Do not forget to ask for the house made chili sauce.

sacha beef is also good but clashes if pickled mustard greens pork is together. The canned corn beef egg sandwich is quite tasty tooā€¦though I wished they would do it like HK, make their own salted beef from scratch.

Iced Lemon coffee is unusually good.

Ming Keeā€™s soy sauce chicken is still fantastic and even better with ginger scallion sauce. Char siuā€™s fat distribution can be irregular and the marinade is more sweet forward than savory but dine in it cannot be beat since the goods are still warm if you go in at noon. Too bad their roast duck is not that great, but you could do a three meat combo rice plate, or just keep it soy sauce chicken (or empress chicken) and char siu. Or if you are feeling gluttonous, pork neck meat char siu. Char siu spare ribs can be a bit dry. Or just order roast meats a la carte dine in, some selections are a la carte or by weight only (rice plate roasties selections are limited to maybe five kindsā€¦for example soy sauce marinated squab is not available for a rice plate).

4 Likes

Iā€™ve never met a pork belly I didnā€™t like but theirs were crazy good.

1 Like

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Lucky! Wish I was able to visit as well! Miss Dragon Beaux so much! :blush:

Yes, you are missing 1 key thing, see the giant pic of delicious Pork Belly from @PorkyBelly replying to you. :wink: :grin:

For their Teas, I really liked their Wuyi Da Hong Pao Tea and Phoenix Oolong Tea were both great for us. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your report back.

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thereā€™s no ā€œorā€ here! You recommended this place and Ming Keeā€™s Pork Neck Char Siu is the one you have to order! (along with the Soy Sauce Chicken.) :wink:

1 Like

B. Patisserieā€™s Black Sesame Latte
Arsicaultā€™s Croissant

My new breakfast this will put me closer to Dragon Beaux but before that I want to do a walk on Crissy Field to GG Bridge

2 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Yes, I think youā€™ll like the Black Sesame Latte. :wink: And Arsicaultā€™s amazing Croissant. Let us know how it goes.

Nice little walk. And if youā€™re into public transpo you can take the 28-19th Ave. to Geary and just a few short blocks to DB. The last time we were in the city we stayed out on Lombard and only used our car once in four days.

Not gonna get the Kouign Amann from B Patisserie?! Shame! :rage:

SAT Verbal Question:
transportation : transpo
is as
sandwich : ______?

6 Likes

Nope, itā€™s a casual contraction. Next time Iā€™ll put an apostrophe after the ā€˜oā€™. Reduces a four syllable word to two. I canā€™t think of a one syllable contraction for sandwich, can you?

English is full of exceptions. Sando works, and it communicates the idea properly.

2 Likes

A lot of colloquialisms donā€™t change the number of syllables of a word but reduce the number of sounds a speaker is required to generate.

Sandwich ā€”> Sando eliminates a diphthong and a sibilant. Sando is much easier to say.

Also, itā€™s the Japanese term for sandwich which makes it cool no matter what anyone else claims.

6 Likes

Cali?