Epic! Revolutionario's North African Tacos

@ediner oh wow! Chef Farid was at Eat.Good.Clean.Food? I went there once, LOL. :smile: Enjoyed my food there as well. I had no idea.

Yep. But there is no comparisons in price point!! It’s just nice to see even the small guys put some effort in what many would consider a small detail (and the tortilla on tacos is NOT!)

–Dommy!

Hi Dommy,

Yes, their Mint Tea is definitely a highlight. Seriously epic! :smile:

Cilantro Chicken - Nice. I will have to try this next time.

BTW, have you tried their Pozole Tagine? I’m curious if it’s worth getting.

Their Beef Barbacoa Taco sounds interesting also.

1 Like

Sounds like an awesome joint

No, I haven’t tried the Pozole Tagine… but it’s on my list for sure! :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

Update 2:

I couldn’t wait to go back and try more of Revolutionario’s menu!

Started with their amazing Mint Tea (fresh ground Mint):

Just like the last time, super refreshing, only lightly sweet, perfect!

First up was a daily special: Goat & Pumpkin Tagine Taco -

While I love goat, I’m not really a big fan of pumpkin, but Chef Zadi continues to blow away expectations. The goat is tender, juicy and the pumpkin is really just a subtle back note. Absolutely DELICIOUS! :heart:

Next up was the Pozole Tagine (Vegetables, Hominy, Lamb, Beef, Chicken) Taco:

This was pretty interesting: Like Chef Zadi’s Algerian take on a traditional Pozole. The corn and hominy and spices had the familiarity of Pozole, but then the lamb, beef and chicken along with some exotic (North African?) seasonings made it taste like a new version of what “Pozole” is all about. I liked it, but it was the least favorite thing we had.

Duck Hash Taco:

Had to get the Duck Hash Taco again since it was our favorite from last time. This time was a touch saltier than last time, but still so good. Really wonderful poultry flavor, like this great alternate version of a breakfast style “corned beef hash,” just made with duck!

Then, Beef Brisket Barbacoa Taco:

I have to share with you that when I first read about “Barbacoa” on the menu, only to find out it was made with Beef and not Lamb or Goat like my favorite Mexican Barbacoa dishes, I was bummed. That’s one of the reasons I didn’t order it on my first visit. But Chef Zadi recommended this, so I gave it a try.

When you chow down on this taco… OMG! Are you kidding me?! :open_mouth: The HIGHLIGHT OF MY WEEKEND!

Chef Zadi’s Beef Brisket Barbacoa Taco is like this intensely BEEFY shot of flavor - tasting like REAL BEEF (not like the generic “bland mystery meat” that “Beef” dishes in most chain restaurants taste like. The only times I’ve recently tasted something that was really truly seriously beefy was with Dry Aged Steaks, or Golden State & Belcampo’s Burgers.

Revolutionario’s Beef Brisket Barbacoa is wonderful and full of flavor, a real true beef flavor, and add to it, Chef Zadi’s North African twist and this is like “MUST TRY” for anyone visiting! I so regret not ordering this on my first visit.

Don’t forget to visit the condiment bar up front to add what you want. I’ve found I love his Algerian twist on “Pico de Gallo” along with a dash of his Green Harissa Salsa. It makes all the difference.

Lastly, the Sweet Pepper & Poached Egg Brik:

From the menu, “a Brik is a North African savory pastry that is stuffed and fried, the shell is thin and crispy.”

It’s like a filo dough type of thinness, and splitting it open, wow! Lovely egg yolk, delicate and balanced with a natural sweetness from the red peppers (it’s not spicy). I could eat this for breakfast / brunch every day if I could. :wink:

Revolutionario continues to amaze me. Chef Zadi’s North African twist on tacos isn’t some stupid “fusion taco gimmick” that hit LA after the Kogi Taco craze. This is legit, OG cooking, and I seriously can’t wait to go back again and again and again.

Revolutionario
1436 West Jefferson Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007
424-223-3526

http://revolutionario.com/

8 Likes

outrageous looking food
wow

1 Like

Same here! Amazing run down. You have no idea how happy it makes me to drive past (Which I often do) and see them SO BUSY. (So folks, be patient at times!). Also, you GET IT. The items have to be finished in the condiment bar. I love how it’s done this way vs. Kogi (Which I still like), this is much more Mexican as you always dress your tacos after you are served them. In fact, there are many Mexican idioms based on how someone dresses their tacos… LOL!!!

I definitely want to try the goat and pumpkin (hell, I want to make it at home!) and found the brik a tad greasy for my taste. However, the plain cheese brik was DEVOURED by friend’s picky toddler and they go there just for that reason. :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

1 Like

Definitely hope you try it CiaoBob. I think you’d like it. :smile:

Dommy, thanks. I didn’t see the Cilantro Chicken you told me about (probably rotated out currently). I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Def try the Beef Brisket Barbacoa though! :smile:

Yah the finishing touches is key here (condiment bar), amazing.

I need to make it to this place sometime soon.

I’m so close by most of the time, seems just stupid of me not to go …

2 Likes

Hey ipse,

definitely make it out there sometime. Would love to hear your thoughts on Chef Zadi’s cooking.

Aye-aye, captain.

Yeah. I really need to hit that shit up too.

I really enjoyed my lunch here today. I either had or sampled the majority of the menu as well as the goat & pumpkin special and only the black eyed pea falafel was a miss. Everything else was very good and more than worthy of a return trip.

1 Like

Sweet! Glad to hear you enjoyed lunch there.

Did you try some of the homemade salsas as well? Any favorites?

I did and enjoyed them all without any real favorite as well as all of the pickled condiments.

Damn…beautiful pics. I am so there.

A few thoughts:
The tacos are amazing. different tortillas for different tacos, depending on the ingredients.
my vegetarian friends love this place too…
You must get a brik. They are incredible.
Chef zadi is amazing. he will spend as much as you want explaining his exact cooking methods or talking up politics.
And lastly, has no one mentioned the posters on the wall that zadi’s wife created? revolutionary sayings by angela davis, che, malcolm x and others with a focus on tacos as the key to their movements…

1 Like

Update 3:

Kicked off the New Year with a return visit to Revolutionario.

Cilantro Yogurt Chicken Taco:

This Cilantro Chicken Taco has been on my radar since @Dommy recommended it way back when. This time it was back on the menu.

It is fantastic! :smiley: The Chicken is tender, juicy, and has this great herbal note. Really great flavors and yet another hit with Chef Zadi! Thanks @Dommy!

Lamb Tagine Taco (Chickpeas, Collard Greens, Preserved Lemon):

There’s an awesome bold herb & spice note that is perfect with the Lamb, which is tender as well.

Goat Tagine Taco (Green Lentils, Lemon, Roasted Tomatoes):

Just awesome! It’s got this deep Goat funk, moist, soft & tender, and the Green Lentils really match well with it.

BTW, their Beef Brisket Barbacoa Taco was just another total WIN again! SO good! We devoured it in seconds and I forgot to take another picture. :laughing:

3 Likes

thanks for the reminder. it went on my list for 2015 but i never got there.