Eternity is two people and a ham - where to find a small ham?

That quote may or may not be from Dorothy Parker. Either way, it sums up my dilemma. I’d like to do a ham for Easter dinner but there are only two of us. Even the supposedly smaller ones I’ve seen would leave us with pounds of leftovers. Does anyone sell a truly small ham (3-4 pounds max)? Westside or Pasadena / Arcadia vicinity preferred. Thanks!

If you’re OK with Honeybaked, they have small boneless hams around that size. They tend to get sold out of the smaller sizes this close to holidays, so go now rather than the day before Easter. There may be a line out the door anyway.

2 Likes

Costco has nice ham steaks.

I’ve bought Boar’s Head hams that were around 2-3 lbs at Pavilions.

1 Like

I’ve had good luck in the past with Gelsons

1 Like

you might want to try an aldi’s if there’s one nearby. i went for the $.95/lb option for feeding the homeless this week, but i recall their also offering sections at about a quarter of the size.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Success (I hope) at Gelson’s. They had some very small (1.5 - 2 pound) boneless hams. Also very thin so I’ll need to figure out how to cook / heat it without turning it into pork jerky. At least it wasn’t a big investment if that does happen. And I know our side dishes will be good.

3 Likes

This doesn’t help you at all, but as an FYI for other people in the ham market who are expecting a lot of guests, Costco has big hams, cheap. They were sampling them today, and they’re quite good. $1.99/lb, but unfortunately they’re around 10 lbs. We’re two people as well, and as tasty as it was, it just won’t work for us. In our experience, ham doesn’t freeze well.

2 Likes

Honeybaked offers a 3.5 lb ham.

1 Like

Agree with you on ham not freezing well. I made that mistake with honeybaked ham leftovers from a party once. Watery and mushy.

if the ham was previously frozen or spiral sliced, i would recommend against trying to freeze it. but if it’s wrapped/sealed airtight in heavy plastic it freezes reasonably well. i would recommend against defrosting in the microwave though.the outer parts will cook while the middle continues to defrost.

1 Like

Why is that do you think?

Niman Ranch

3 Likes

I have to wonder if OP and others are looking for something they can cook. ?

Last year I found a very small ham at the Butchery in Brea. They were around 2.5 lbs.

1 Like

Love that quote.

Just to follow through - the 1.5 lbs ham from Gelson’s was a good call. Did a standard brown sugar and mustard glaze and managed to heat it through without drying it out. Still lots of leftovers as it was very lean so lots of meat and no shrinkage.

4 Likes

for larger (10+ lbs. bone in) i typically defrost it, unwrap it, put it in my larger slow cooker, add a can of carbonated beverage (without the can for you literalists), pineapple-orange if i’m that motivated, and let it slowly reheat for a few hours on low. i’ve never had dry ham as a result. i suppose if you left it on for 12 hours or so. but my cooker has a timer and goes to low heat after the programmed length of time. the down side is that if the power goes off and then comes back on (and it has occasionally while i wasn’t home), you end up with cold ham. #firstworldproblemsfeedingthehomeless.

3 Likes

while feeding the homeless tonight, @chewchow and i came up with dessert for the filet o’hash brown.

ham-ple pie

mighta been even better with melted sharp cheddar cheese

2 Likes

Okay, okay, it’s not about where but what to do with extra :slight_smile: Some of these look great to me.

2 Likes