Excellent Chongqing Chicken, Noodles and Dumplings Arrive at Best Noodle House! [Review]

Interesting, well, really speaks to how good that sauce is if the chicken wasn’t quite perfect and it still tasted that good haha

Ah also of note, we were three pasty white people that speak zero Chinese and found the place plenty accessible. Some people were asking before if there were any problems with that. To be sure, we were the only non-Chinese speakers in the place as far as I could tell, but still, no problem ordering and such.

It’s cool, I’m a bit bored of this life anyway, on to the next one!

I do slightly hope I live until tomorrow so I can keep my reservation to eat Evan Funke’s pasta one last time though. It would be a fantastic last meal!

1 Like

It’s exceptionally politically incorrect to use the term “pasty white people”.

The proper term is “melanin-challenged persons of indeterminate gender”.

4 Likes

I KNOW. Some of us drive with the windows down, which leads to at least one not-totally-pasty arm.

#NotAllWhitePeople

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s hard to keep up with how to refer to oneself these days!

1 Like

so, when mr. c asks, arnold explains his complicated ethnic heritage.
well, mr. c presses, what do you consider yourself?
arnold replies: good looking.

pat morita, garry marshall, rip.

3 Likes

Is alcohol expressly forbidden or is byo allowed?

Great question. I never tried asking. Then again, I don’t know how regulated (by the staff) most SGV eateries are that don’t have a beer & wine license.

Until Chengdu taste came along I never had any problem with BYO at any SGV eatery.

what do you plan on bringing?

wine - beer
[No bai jo]

You’re good. Enjoy.

Wow!!!
We loved this place, thanks @Chowseeker1999 and @Aesthete

Best Dan Dan Mein (called Chungking Dan Dan Noodles on the menu) I have had in a long, long time.
Fried Chicken Cubes were excellent - Ma La to the Max
Nice Water Boiled Fish Filets.
Loved the Shredded Pork with Pickled Pepper too.

Owner/Manager Lady told me there is a direct relationship (couldn’t be be sure if it was the chef, the owner or both) with LA’s original Sichuan Chung King on Garfield, and later, on San Gabriel.

Darn Darn Good!

4 Likes

Good stuff!

No saliva chicken though? You got your return trip scheduled :wink:

We had the steamed chicken with spicy red sauce, but forgot about Saliva - I’m so mad, I could, well, SPIT!

2 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob,

Excellent! :slight_smile: So glad you liked Best Noodle House. We loved the Dan Dan Noodles as well, and the Fried Chicken Cubes.

Yah you need to try their Cold Steamed Chicken with Hot Sauce (Mouth Water Chicken) and Youpo Noodles next time. :slight_smile:

Oh, interesting, did you just not care for it then? haha

We had this - it was great. We loved it. Is that what you all meant by Saliva? if so, I misunderstood.

1 Like

Hi @CiaoBob,

Oh nice! :slight_smile: Well Saliva was ipse’s translation of the Chinese characters. I just used the English name on the menu. :slight_smile:

In 口水雞, the words separately mean:
口 = kou3 = mouth
水 = shui3 = water
雞 = ji1 =chicken

But 口水 = saliva

So you get the “correct” translation instead of relying on ordering based on whatever English translation the restaurant chose… Hence… Saliva chicken!