Expensive Japanese Strawberries - Tokyo Central

Are these really worth the $19 for 10-12 strawberries (depending on size)

2 Likes

We tried these from Mitsuwa a while back. They are pretty darned good. I think it comes down to how bad you want worthy strawbs right now.

If Harry’s weren’t around and you’re jones-ing for nice ones now, then yes.

I haven’t been to the FMs for a while. If the quality of FM strawbs is below par or nonexistent now (it is December - days are shorter and getting pretty cool for strawbs), then yes.

If you can wait, then no. In Japan, most folks are used to shelling out money for perfect fruit - as gifts - but almost never for themselves.

2 Likes

They look beautiful. You should get some and tell us what you think. :wink:

They were selling $4 imported fuyu persimmons (that’s $4 PER fruit) at Mitsuwa the other day. Delicious.

2 Likes

Really? Ok if they still have them this weekend I’ll try them out. But $19 for 10 strawberries.

They’ll be wonderful, especially with some nice champagnya. :slight_smile:

The Continental

2 Likes

Which Tokyo Central location is that?

Yorba Linda. I will confirm if they are still available when I go back tomorrow or Friday.

1 Like

Thanks! I gotta check the Torrance and Gardena stores.

I paid $7 for one of these in Tokyo…

3 Likes

Alpine strawberries?

Saw these in Okinawa. Only usd$31.50 for 5. :thinking:

Red Strawberries a “bargain” at $14.20 for 10. (Marked down 30% for end of day sale)

Yum, cantalope for $31.50. Each. Does come with a pretty bow.

2 Likes

So seem like $19 isn’t too bad .

yup

Paid USD$33 for one SLICE of Japanese musk melon at Sembikiya once. Glorious. Totally worth it.

2 Likes

What do they taste like?

A nice strawberry. Not as good as Harry’s gaviotas, the strawberries I had from Oxnard this summer and berries I’ve had in France from the farmers market. Good strawberry flavor, muted acidity but not terribly sweet.

Certainly not worth the price tag. Fun to try.

4 Likes

I hope they were tasty.