Exploring Banh Mi - The Vietnamese Sandwich Interpreted, Overkilled and Sublime - Gjusta, Little Sister, Baguette City, Saigon Bakery & Ba Le Sandwiches (Westminster)

Thanks for your recommendation @MaladyNelson! :slight_smile: It was quite good! Really glad to have found this place.

1 Like

Thanks @attran99, @PorkyBelly.

Hope you get to try some Egg Banh Mi this weekend attran99! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s so interesting that you commented on that, since I thought to myself, “The baguette at Banh Mi Venice looks a bit light to me…” :wink: I think I still might go for the fish one. If the bread is too dry, I suppose that’s better than it being soggy and gross. :frowning: Somehow missed the black sesame soy milk from your earlier review of another place! Gotta try that!

1 Like

Lovely review as always.

Too bad about the egg banh mi, but for some reason I think that most sandwiches at that place will be a letdown after the lingcod, which to me is uber killer stuff.

1 Like

Thanks to this thread I just came back from Saigon’s on Valley, and I gotta say I think this is my new favorite baguette!

4 Likes

Definitely hit that up. The egg banh mi is amazing.

I recommend eating it right there in the parking lot though if possible.

4 Likes

@A5KOBE Didn’t have enough time today. Thinking of doing it for breakfast tomorrow. I will eat it in the parking lot. Will likely pick up some non-egg ones to take home for lunch, too…or should I go somewhere else?

At Saigon Bakery, if we can eat it right then and there? The egg Banh Mi. Definitely.

If we want to take it home for later? Yay them, they will pack up the veggies separately. We’ll get the roast beasts (aka pork and chicken.) Then assemble at lunch.

If you get three banh mi, you get a free baguette to take home. They freeze wonderfully but are also fab just nibbled on as a snack : )

2 Likes

The non egg ones are decent, I have had the BBQ pork and thought it was good but not outstanding. A bit too sweet for my taste. Haven’t had any of their other offerings. The egg is just awesome, something about the combo of their bread with jalapeño and egg that just is awesome.

I do like the SPAM, egg and pork banh mi at Tam Thanh. I believe it is called dac biet. Not too far and a nice alternative.

1 Like

Hi @attran99, @Happybaker,

The 2nd Branch (on Valley) has tables inside, so you can eat it right there. :slight_smile: The other location has a tiny window “bar” with a few seats I think, but less seating. There’s like 2 tables outside also.

I wanna try their Banh Mi Xiu Mai next time (Meatballs), but not sure how it tastes.

@Chowseeker1999 what a fun report to read! I want to try some of those, but feel so parochial, I honestly have no idea where places like Rosemead, Gardena or Alhambra are. But I can find Pasadena, Encino and Santa Barbara without an app. :wink:

2 Likes

i’m not quite sure why you’re lol-ing canned sardines. they’re a wonderful thing.

2 Likes

OMG! The Saigon egg banh mi is one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had! The runny yolk with the pickled vegetables and jalapeño was so good! I should have ordered two. Thanks @Chowseeker1999 !

9 Likes

When my cat won’t come home I stand on the patio and open a can… It works like a charm.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better!

2 Likes

This is a pretty epic thread on Banh Mi’s.

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

Nice! Glad you liked it. :smile: Was it not just delicious? Love that Banh Mi so much. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re right they are pretty tasty. It’s more of a personal nostalgia thing, I should’ve clarified: My roommate in college used to buy these canned sardines in tomato sauce (they were really inexpensive) and we’d share these sometimes. When I first had the sardine banh mi at a few shops in Little Saigon, it tasted exactly like that brand we had back then, as if they those sandwich shops bought the same brand and just cracked open the can and put it on the sandwich. :slight_smile:

Still makes me smile remembering those times; just found it funny. But they are tasty.

2 Likes

Every Vietnamese person has those sardines. It may as well be considered traditional.

2 Likes

@Ns1 That’s one banh mi, I’ve never tried buying. My Mom’s is so good…thinly sliced white onions sautéed in butter, and then open the cans of sardines in tomato sauce…perhaps add more tomato sauce and a TON of black pepper. So simple and so good…I have an extra helping when she makes it.

4 Likes